Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
There was a time when I did something like that... I took a couple of mouthpiece patches and stuck them to the underside of my lig where it touches the reed. The idea was that because they were softer than the metal lig, they would allow the reed to vibrate a little more freely like the bumpers on a Winslow. Of course, sticking them to the lig is much smarter than sticking them to the reed because you'd have to peel them off each reed and try to reuse them... and they want $6 for those things in your link!

Long story short, I thought that the little patches made a huge difference in the responsiveness of the horn, and were my little secret. A month or two later, they fell off, and when I tried to play the horn without the patches, I realized it was all in my head. Because I expected them to be better and easier to play, I relaxed the embouchure and got my horn to respond more easily. After playing like that for several weeks, it was second nature to play with a good, more relaxed embouchure, and when I went back to the regular lig, it sounded and played exactly the same.

I had the same experience trying an Olegature at a jam session. I put it on and sounded better. When I went back to my lig, I STILL sounded better.

Moral: it's all in your head! That doesn't mean the head game won't make you a bit better...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm with DanPerezSax on this one! Many of us have experimented with such gizmos over the years. I know I have. Save your money and keep playing those long tones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe if you put that sticker on the end, to keep the tip from chipping/cracking? Like that I think it'd actually sound great for beginning band students..... ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I'll try to resist for now, but...if I do succumb to the siren lure of this product, I'll post with my impressions of it!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I got a few of these in my 'welcome' bag when I attended the Dinant Concourse this year. It's an interesting concept from a marketing standpoint, but I find these to be superfluous. The ligature, in my opinion, shouldn't be tightened to the point where it would damage the reed. BG does seem to be venturing out in their product line though, which is not a bad thing. I have enjoyed several of their new products, and eagerly await their new ligature offerings.

Steve P

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Steve P!

Although this might be the wrong thread, I understand BG is releasing a new ligature, similar in concept to the Vandoren M/O. If or when you get one, I'd love to hear your opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts