Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum today.

First off, I would like to say that I am not a NEW player to the tenor sax, as I have played for about 5 years now. However, I am new in the fact that I have never, ever taken a jazz class at school, improved, or taken music theory at all. I am familiar with all of my major scales, however my knowledge of music is rather basic.

With all of that out of the way, I have really, really been inspired recently to play jazz and to learn how to improv. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to start, be it books, websites, players to listen to, etc. I know this is a daunting question that can be answered so many different ways, but any leads/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Thomas.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Welcome Thomas. You have in your hands the prince of instruments and I'm particularly pleased you want to learn to improvise on it. You're in for a sometimes frustrating but mainly rewarding experience.

Use the forum search function and you'll have hours of great reading and helpful tips and ideas. My main tip is to find some pals and start playing together. Like some other pastimes, jazz improvisation holds only limited satisfaction if done alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts