Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recorded this piece today. It's completely improvised with one take on every part except the tenor (I doubled a melody line for a few measures). It's for soprano, alto and tenor saxophone, drums, piano, accordion, and banjo. This is my first recording using my new Super 20 alto and Jody Jazz mouthpieces on tenor and alto.

Let me know what you think...

http://www.dumarsengraving.com/mp3/spuffin.mp3

It's about 20MB, so probably not recommended for the modem folks.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Jason I really enjoyed that very much. Particularly your alto playing. It is well worth taking a listen to.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Thanks Jason, I really enjoyed your piece. I particularly like the sound of each of the saxes, and how it was nicely woven together. I liked the mix of sax harmony as it balanced the accordian. I also liked the banjo--it sounded like this kind of koto or some sort of japanese string, rather than a banjo, and nicely set off the saxes. I also like how the different parts faded in and out---nicely mixed, tasteful on the reverb.

I'm just curious. In what order were the tracks laid?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Love it Jason! What tenor are you using?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You have a wonderful tone on all of your horns. I enjoyed the piece very much. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Jason,
Man it sounds beautiful! Great use of timbre on all the axes. Real creative
playing, I hear a lot of different influences in your playing. Take care man,
B

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful piece and tone you have on the alto Jason... Great work.

Kenny.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
very enjoyable - something for me to aspire to!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi Jason,

That's a very nice composition.
The alto sounds great indeed!
The banjo is a nice touch.

The song and the playing remind me a bit of Jan Garbarek.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Wim :cool:

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Randall said:
Love it Jason! What tenor are you using?
Thanks Randy! Before I left Portland and had to sell off all of my stuff, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a tenor for sale, $400. It was a near-perfect original lacquer Martin Music Man tenor with two necks... one with a pickup and all the original electronics! I think God was watching over me...

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And to everyone else who had such nice things to say... THANK YOU! It means so much. I have been in kind of a recording slump for a couple of months, and this was the first time I felt inspired in a looooong time.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Well, you're definitely out of your slump!

Dang, now I'm going to have to get inspired to get my okole out of the shed and make some musical 1's and 0's, too, and get out of my slump:).

·
878 Posts
You have a great Alto sound. Are you using the DV? The sound is ALOT like mine on my ref 54.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,909 Posts
It's strange...every time I try to play this piece, it just sounds like Sean Connery telling me "You're not worthy." At least that's what I hear in my head, anyway...

Saxaholic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts