Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im happy to finally announce two new mouthpiece models that I have been working with for some time.

The first is the "The Equinox". This is a new Tenor piece, nice core, not a link like piece. Focused with good projection and core. Its a little brighter than a Link (for reference) with a much more refined and "tighter" buzz pattern.

The second is "The Rift" which is a brighter alto mouthpiece with an added baffle. A very big sound and a lot of projection without getting ugly like a lot of high baffle pieces. It keeps a rollover along with the raised floor.

Also take a look at the new web page. It is still in the process of being populated but the bones are there.

Id like to hear what you think (I think...)

www.phil-tone.com

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just got a serious case of GAS. I want that new alto piece!

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I think the new website is fantastic! It's VERY professional, extremely informative, and quite easy to navigate. Well done, Phil!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Very nice looking site. I used that sliding menu on a Joomla site once, it works great.
Also, the new tenor piece is quite interesting!

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks X

The new tenor piece is my all time favorite and has been since I made the prototype this summer. I am just about at the point where i can sell most everything else I have.

For those of you in business or in need of a web page you really should consider Jason. He is an excellent listener and is very helpful and eternally patient with those of us not in the know!

·
Registered
610 Posts
very impressed with the new site Phil, very smart and slick. Also looking forward to receiving the new Solstice for Alto.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Phil,
Looks great and the new stuff sounds very interesting but I'm confused. I have an original Phil-Tone Alto and Tenor...what are they called now? Are they still represented in the lineup? Anyway congratulations and the best of luck with the new pieces and the new website.
Sincerely,
-Barry

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please dont want 1000000 of them. I they are made one at a time. :mrgreen:

Sorry about the GAS...well, as almost sorry.

The Rift is a fun piece and I don't generally like baffled pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts

·
12,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure, I can try. It is not a Link type piece but I will use a metal link as a point of departure since we pretty much all know that sound. First it has a tighter and more refined buzz pattern than an STM. It is a little brighter but remains warm. It is very focused. The sound is very directed and does not spread all over like a Link can (especially HR Links). It does this but still has concave sidewalls. It is also easier to blow than a Link and the low end rolls out easily.

One of the interesting things about the piece is the high end. I recall play testing it and right away I moved into playing around with Coltrane ballads. Playing against a wall on the palm keys really has that kind of vibe. What is weird is that it does this but its not strident like Trane. It doesnt sound like Trane but there is just something about it that goes there for a number of players...I cant put my finger on it...it just does.

The piece has ample power. The Eclipse (the original Phil-Tone) has more power but they are very different. The Equinox is a very versatile piece. It has a nice resistance and core to it. Its is not at all stuffy but gives what I consider to be just enough sensory feedback for ease of control. It will also hold together when pushed. I find this a problem with super free blowing pieces...they just fall apart early on.

I just overall like what the pieces does, it has a great focused core.

Im happy to answer more questions.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Phil, stop being so humble!

He's got some great new pieces that deserve a lot of attention. I've had the pleasure of playing on them before almost anyone, and I really enjoyed them.

Watch for a full review of his entire line-up coming this week on SOTW...

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Sure, I can try. It is not a Link type piece but I will use a metal link as a point of departure since we pretty much all know that sound. First it has a tighter and more refined buzz pattern than an STM. It is a little brighter but remains warm. It is very focused. The sound is very directed and does not spread all over like a Link can (especially HR Links). It does this but still has concave sidewalls. It is also easier to blow than a Link and the low end rolls out easily.
Just to be clear - this is the Equinox, right? What about the price and waiting time?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts