Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,614 Posts
Excellent Chris.
May I ask where one gets them....I tend to deal with Windcraft & their selection of pad types is very limited.....Delux or Standard, whatever that means.

· Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,094 Posts
Contact MusicMedic with the details of what you need (all the pad diameters with the maximum resonator diameter for each pad). You'll have the choice of RooPads (white), Saxgourmet (black) and Precision (brown) and all manner of resonator styles. My personal favorite resonators being the seamless domed metal ones as they don't have a rivet through the centre and they're chrome plated brass so they won't rust.

6,614 Posts
Thanks Chris....I shall log all that.
Final question...is the choice of colour purely aesthetic or is there a difference between them other than colour?
Oh, yet another question....does Music Medic supply all three options?

Chris. Finally put what's left of my brain into gear & looked up Music Medic's site where of course, I found the answers. He makes no mention (at least, I could not find it) of custom resonator diameters.

· Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,094 Posts
If you order the set of pads you want with the resos you want, then drop them a message ('Contact Us' in the 'Help' section) relating to the pad order (quoting the order number) specifying the maximum diameters of the resos you want fitted in each pad. That's what I did when ordering the SML bari pads as it was important the bis key pad had the correct diameter reso fitted.

I like the Saxgourmet pads (the black ones) as they're firm, as are the Precision pads. The white RooPads do seem to be a bit softer than the others.

6,614 Posts
If you order the set of pads you want with the resos you want, then drop them a message ('Contact Us' in the 'Help' section) relating to the pad order (quoting the order number) specifying the maximum diameters of the resos you want fitted in each pad. That's what I did when ordering the SML bari pads as it was important the bis key pad had the correct diameter reso fitted.

I like the Saxgourmet pads (the black ones) as they're firm, as are the Precision pads. The white RooPads do seem to be a bit softer than the others.
Black they will be then....they also look rather sexy & cannot, on a C tenor, be confused with the original white pillow pads.
My thanks.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,702 Posts
You can get custom resonator sizes, or another method is to just not order resonators on pads under about 22mm. Save a couple of $$ (or spend that money on some teflon or other cool stuff at Music Medic). I'm not sure that a tiny resonator does anything for you that a slightly smaller rivet wouldn't do.

Worst case scenario is that, on a tone hole like C2, even a little resonator might be large enough to cause problems when you float the pad. As you pull out the old pads, take a good look at the old impression ring. Sometimes it is not in the center of the key cup and adjusting the key cup is not possible. In these situations, you have to be careful if you're trying to put in large resonators. The "standard size "resonator for that pad may actually be smaller than the tone hole, but because the pad sits off-center, and the resonator creates a depression ring around it, the 'standard size" resonator for that pad will cause sealing problems. Better too small (or nothing at all) than too large.

Black with silver rivetless domes on a silver horn (like my CMel) is my favorite combo.

Mark

6,614 Posts
Mark.
Exactly....that "off centre" aspect has to be addressed before ordering.
The ideal would be to order the optimum sizes of resonators unattached, and separate from, the pad & to glue them in after the pads are floated.
The resonators could then be huge.....tone hole ID minus 1mm. :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.