Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,344 Posts
I just purchased an old King C Melody that had repadded. The pads are too thick and do not seal propely and there are no resonators. Just somethingto be aware of. Not all pads are the same thickness.
Wait...you mean you had to get it repadded ? Or you rec'd it with a horrible repad job ????

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,344 Posts
I do this all the time...change only the pads which are shot, leave the old pads still sealing. It comes out perfectly fine. Indeed, if one pays attention there is a different 'feel' to the keys with new vs. old...but one really has to be paying attention.

I usually repad C-mels with riveted, non-resonator pads since that is what they were outfitted with...just for the sake of history.

I do wonder, sometimes, if one outfitted a C-mel with the most sonically egdy sorta resonator pads available (not that I know if there is such a thing; or if it's just a matter of opinion)...if that would provide a teensy counterbalance to some of the dark stuffiness of the horn.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.