Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time poster, long time user here. I’ve recently acquired a Vito model 35 Leblanc-style alto. It’s in great mechanical shape, and looks great, though it could use a new pad or two. I’m especially interested in the leblanc-style fingerings and system of tonehole placement. Reviews online describe it as a very unique instrument tone-wise.

I didn’t take it to college with me but I’ll be able to play it again over spring break. What can I expect from it? Is anyone here playing one in 2021? Leave your thoughts here!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,511 Posts
Do you have a fingering chart for it ?

Very interesting horns...very GOOD horns...I have refurbed around 8 or more....
well-made, good sounding, fun to play.

Your tech may have a quick learning curve as far as regulation and adjustment goes, because there are linkages which do not exist on a conventional horn. But any tech who is decent will be able to follow the paths and figure things out.

Here's a quick lowdown on SOME of what the horn can do (the vid poster mistakenly refers to it as a Rationale...but it is a System horn):

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,159 Posts
That half-step down RH2 is a sweet cheat code! Also like the idea of the high F# being on the top.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I own one of those that Jaye refurbed! The tone is broad. What I especially like about the special fingerings is G# as
LH 12 + one finger RH. When you get used to it it's quite natural and very useful in some technical passages.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own one of those that Jaye refurbed! The tone is broad. What I especially like about the special fingerings is G# as
LH 12 + one finger RH. When you get used to it it's quite natural and very useful in some technical passages.
Yeah! I’m just thinking about how many places that could be useful. Same thing with B as LH 2 + one finger RH. I like the timbre of middle C, and giving B a little more resistance to push against could be interesting.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah! I’m just thinking about how many places that could be useful. Same thing with B as LH 2 + one finger RH. I like the timbre of middle C, and giving B a little more resistance to push against could be interesting.
In fact, the claim that every LH fingering is lowered by a semi-tone when adding a RH finger doesn't extend to C.
With 2+ one finger RH you would still obtain a C, what you are imagining would only be possible with a digital saxophone -or with a VERY complicated mechanics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,906 Posts
Lowering the horn by a half step works for C#-C, B-Bb and A-Ab, using RH 1, 2 or 3. You can also fork the the Bb and Eb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts