Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just joined the historical society of BA and have a 25*** which dates it '37/'38.
An attempt has been made to buff out the serial number, not totally successfully.
So, it will have been stolen at one point in its career. (not recently I hasten to add).
It looks like it has been in the wars and virtually all the lacquer on the player's side of the bell is rubbed away.
There is no mountain/lake scene at all.

MY QUESTION IS... although it is a very sweet player now and it responds easily and beautifully,
I find only the top F (no F sharp on this dated model), quite a bit flat. top E is workable. Everywhere else is spot on.
I know there's a finger fix, but it's not really good in a hurry.
Yes I'm aware of a partial tech fix.. (felts and pad raising) but that may not be the full story.
I wondered if this is a characteristic of these horns of that year and could it be more of a neck or mouthpiece issue?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not aware of this being a common issue with that note specifically, but if you're referring to the front f fingering, this is a very common issue on horns in general related to the adjustment of the mechanism on the first finger f. Beyond that, those horns are killer, but intonation is not their strongest suit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not aware of this being a common issue with that note specifically, but if you're referring to the front f fingering, this is a very common issue on horns in general related to the adjustment of the mechanism on the first finger f. Beyond that, those horns are killer, but intonation is not their strongest suit.
The LH high F is also a little flat on my '39 BA.

I really like the "sweetness" of the tone, it seems like it would be a great horn for a concert style band. It took me a while to get used to the hand position associated with the straight tone holes and the neck alignment.

I originally bought this horn for my young son (See avatar) to step up to but have decided to keep it for my own and buy him a used Yamaha or Yani when he is big enough for an alto.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I use ‘forked’ front (right hand f and e) fingering or the simple one with the addition of RH Bb - between those two it’s covered off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Is the BA in question an Alto or a Tenor Sax ?

I have owned and played a silver plated 1941 BA Tenor Sax since 1980.

I have had many issues with intonation with my Sax starting when I bought it. A tendency towards flatness at the top end is something that I have noticed...and wicked sharpness at the bottom end. The bottom end sharpness has been much harder for me to deal with than the top end flatness.

Getting the 'right' mouthpiece seems to help...it can help a lot ! I have had good luck using a Morgan 'EL' (Excalibur with a large chamber). I can use Otto Link STMs...I have also had good luck with older Selmer Soloist mouthpieces that I had refaced.

Personally, I can't use any mouthpiece with a medium or small chamber and have any possibility of playing in tune. They will be wobbling around on the end of the neck like a bobble-head doll !

Believe it or not, when I was younger I got so frustrated with the intonation issues that I put this Sax away in it's case and did not play it for 7 years ! Finally, the leader of the band that I played in told me that he had to book me on Tenor Sax one night so I got it out and dusted it off and started playing it again.

I consulted with the mouthpiece maker Theo Wanne and he advised me about trying some mouthpieces with larger chambers which made a big difference and eventually I dialed in on the Morgans which have worked pretty well for the last 15 or 20 years.

Bobt, you posted that intonation on your horn is mostly 'spot on'...that is quite different than my own experience but we are two different people with different embouchures and different ears...I hope that you continue to have good luck with your BA.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Being one who has had a horn stolen, I’d be hesitant to buy a sax with with an altered serial number. I’m still bugged when I think about my mint SBA alto stolen from me.
Bad karma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts