Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
If I went it would be mainly for the food. I've seen the artist lists and videos from many of them and its pretty banal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'll be there for the second weekend. The brass band I play in is going as a group as a sort of reward realized by pooling our gig money for the past year. We're not playing in the festival, but we've got a couple gigs lined up and parties and such for the weekend in New Orleans. Should be a heck of a time.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I am no stranger to the NOJHF. Some words to the wise:

Get a map and program ahead of time and figure out who you want to see and figure out your route so that you don't find yourself walking from Empty stage to empty stage. If all else fails, buy a couple of beers and head to the Gospel tent. That venue rocks all day nonstop. If you don't visit the Gospel tent, you will have missed the best part of the festival. (It's also cooler there because the tent is huge).

If it's still available, park at the Superdome and catch the bus to the Fairgrounds. The bus runs to and from the fairgrounds for the duration of the festival.

If you walk around the French Quarter at night, stay within the boundaries of Peter/Decatur Street, Esplanade Avenue, North Rampart, and Canal Street. Decatur Street will take you to Frenchman Street. Activity there is bustling and it's well-lit. On Chrtres street is The Napoleon House, a really nice little bistro that is (or was) a local hangout. Lunch and Dinner: Not far on Chartres is Maspero's. There's another larger Maspero's around the corner on Decatur Street.

If you have time, catch the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar at canal Street and ride it the length of St. Charles Avenue where the movie stars and rich folks in New Orleans live. And if you are a star watcher, keep your eyes open. You'll see several famous musicians who aren't performing as well as TV and Movie stars walking around.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If I went it would be mainly for the food. I've seen the artist lists and videos from many of them and its pretty banal.
Since Katrina, most of the talent is local/regional, but they're really good.

This is the lineup:

https://www.nojazzfest.com/lineup/#/

You can plan your day using the page. (Look at the top of the list).

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
50th anniversary

Great lineup!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
im heavily considering going next Saturday though I wonder why katy perry will be there

·
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all else fails, buy a couple of beers and head to the Gospel tent. That venue rocks all day nonstop. If you don't visit the Gospel tent, you will have missed the best part of the festival. (It's also cooler there because the tent is huge).
Yeah, that's a good tip. Much appreciated. I think we've got tickets to be at the festival each day for the second weekend, and it's all been prearranged... or hopefully was. But keep the festival tips coming, and if anyone is going to be there on the second weekend, send me a private message if you want to meet up. Heck, I might be able to get you into one of the parties we're playing that weekend.

I've been to New Orleans several times, both before and after Katrina. Sort of heartbreaking, how they've struggled to rebuild, and the wounds that still show. It's like they've all been kicked in the stomach. Anyhow, I will endeavor to make it to Frenchman St. for the music, but doubt I'll spend much time on Bourbon St. The only place there I like for music is Fritzel's.

·
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having an absolute blast in New Orleans. Spent all day at the jazz-fest yesterday and will be heading back some time today. Should anyone be there, it's a good bet you'll see me at the heritage stage in the front watching the brass bands when they're playing hanging out with the guys from my group. And speaking of that group... played our first party last night and then we crashed the French Quarter and played nearly an hour in the street for quite an enthusiastic crowd. Unbelievable really.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That’s so cool!!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts

·
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got to catch a bit of the Stooges on the last day. Went to three out of four days of the fest on the last weekend and caught too many bands and artists to name. Probably walked about a dozen miles a day getting around that track to catch as much as I could throughout the performances.

And the food... Wow. Just tons of selections. Not too long a wait for your favorites despite the huge crowds. And you can find everything. Mostly traditional, local fare... but much, much more than that. And hey, once I found the oyster bar that was icing on the cake; and only fifteen bucks for a dozen.

Even with all that food though, with all the walking and playing, I actually lost a few pounds over the weekend. And yeah, we played. We played two private parties, made connections with local clubs and... well... check it out:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/davidmcdade/videos/10219061411108861/UzpfSTI5ODg1MTQzMzc5MTU3Mzo4OTE1MDYzMzExOTI3NDQ/[/video]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts