Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in the Big Easy from October 9th to the 17th for my job, and I'd love to meet some of you guys/gals face to face if anyone can. Pointless to ask if there's any good clubs to visit, but can some of you hook up during this time and show me the 'real' place?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
whaler said:
Be careful about "falling and hitting curbs" in the French Quarter. Seems that not everyone loves jazz musicians down there. http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2006/06/jazz_pianist_hi.html I always thought the place was kind of a dump when ever I went there, but then, Hollywood and Sunset ain't that pretty either.
That sucks. This is the first I've heard of that event. So sad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. As far as the Hilton Ruiz thing... well, I remember when that first broke. Very sad indeed. Was hoping to do a little playing while there; I'm sure there's a jam session or two ;) I was hoping that some SOTW'ers from the area would come out of the woodwork, but I guess not. At any rate, I'll definately put some stock in the recommendations that have been made here. Thanks again!

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are so many great places to eat there, but my favorite is
Mandina's, 3800 Canal St.
In a city renowned for its small, funky neighborhood joints as well as its fine dining establishments, dis is da ultimate neighbahood New Awlins restaurant. Tommy Mandina's family has owned and operated this restaurant and bar since the late 1800s, and the menu hasn't changed much in the last 50 years or so. This is a good thing. Mandina's gets crowded for lunch, so try to go a little early or late to beat the crowd. And don't be afraid of your waiter -- surly or gruff as he may be, his advice is always good. Standouts among the appetizers are the greasy but yummy fried onion rings, an excellent, tangy Shrimp Remoulade, or the tremendous Crawfish Cakes. Their soups are always fine as well, especially seafood gumbo and turtle soup au sherry. Go for the wonderful red beans and rice with Italian sausage (but only on Mondays, of course), trout meunière or grilled trout, and always look at what's on special (I go for the specials whenever I can). If you're in the mood for fried seafood, you can't go wrong with the shrimp or oyster loaves, or soft-shell crab when in season. Finish up with the rum-soaked Creole bread pudding, and you'll have a such taste of New Orleans you'll feel like a native, from da old neighbahood. Fantastic, hearty, and very affordable.
just do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts