Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to find New Orleans Dixie, Brass Band Charts? Dirty Dozen, Rebirth etc. Cheers

·
Registered
913 Posts
[looking too!!!
QUOTE=Saxman11;3848694]Anyone know where to find New Orleans Dixie, Brass Band Charts? Dirty Dozen, Rebirth etc. Cheers[/QUOTE]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,552 Posts
Isn’t that antithetical to the tradition?

It seems so wrong.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn’t that antithetical to the tradition?

It seems so wrong.

You do have a point there...in my life as a Canadian Forces Musician I play a wide variety of music, with musicians of various backgrounds...these sorts of charts give us a starting point...and offer a learning platform as well...Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,480 Posts
Having played now for a year with a New Orleans style brass band with players of differing skill levels, I can pretty much tell you that even if you could find charts, they would only hinder you. Most songs are only one or two chords and you'll take longer to memorize them if you rely upon written arrangements. We practice as a group, play a recording of the song we want to learn and then help each other out in figuring out the parts for them. With this process we can get a song mostly down in a night, reinforce it at the next practice and perform it after that. The same players that may have needed everything written down seem to get the hang of this pretty quick; and not surprisingly, still have to check their music for the stuff they learned by written arrangement (which were done by a member in the past).

For Dixieland, it's all mostly improv, but for the lead instrument playing the melody (generally trumpet) and certain set parts for the more intricate tunes. American Music Caravan used to provide wonderful fake books in C and Bb, that had not only the melody and chords, but also some of those set parts for the more intricate tunes. Still, you'd have to improvise the rest. They're out of business now though, and unless another player willed you their copy, you'd be hard pressed for them to part with it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,321 Posts
Anyone know where to find New Orleans Dixie, Brass Band Charts? Dirty Dozen, Rebirth etc. Cheers
I agree with others, charts will be counter productive. This music does not sit too well with charts.

But, if you want to learn and analyse, I think your bets bet would be to just transcribe. Takes time but can be valuable.

BTW, I am very good friends with Roger form Dirty Dozen and the last thing he would want it to be described as is "Dixie" due to connotations. New Orleans Swing is the best term these days.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Most of the charts we've found are basic transcriptions by regular civilian internetizens, so no better than doing it ourselves. What works for us is getting the parts down by ear in sectionals (trumpets; t-bone + sax; tuba and rhythm section) and then combine them. By definition there is a lot of improv but the underlying structure must be solid, i.e. # of measures for each section, order of solos and transitions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,480 Posts
BTW, I am very good friends with Roger form Dirty Dozen and the last thing he would want it to be described as is "Dixie" due to connotations. New Orleans Swing is the best term these days.
Yeah, when I referred to Dixieland above, I meant the traditional New Orleans sort of Dixieland band (trumpet/trombone/clarinet). But I see the OP grouped dixie together with brass band music. Two very distinctly different styles, though both with roots in New Orleans.

The group I'm in now was actually inspired by Kirk Joseph, who plays sousaphone and was in the Dirty Dozen back in their early years. I got to meet him last year when he came up and did a parade with us in town. He also gave us a sort of clinic in the fine art of brass band music. An incredibly generous man with his knowledge and support.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insights...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts