Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that Palo Tung has moved to California, I've been trying to find a successor who actually knows what he's doing. No randomly bending keys that get back out of alignment a week after, using pads of the wrong thickness, rough seating of pads and so on. I've tried a few locals and they all have been disappointing to say the least.

Any suggestion?

I've bought the Haynes Sax Manual in order to start fixing my horn myself, but I'd rather bring my sax to someone who knows what he's doing and not have to worry about it.

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Admin Note

I’m going to take a chance and move this thread here, where I feel that it is going to get more answers than if it stays in the Evaluation forum.

I suspect that magical pig is expecting a different answer than "you know who" – Regardless, I trust that we can all keep this discussion civil.

- Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, now that Palo Tung has moved to California, I've been trying to find a successor who actually knows what he's doing. No randomly bending keys that get back out of alignment a week after, using pads of the wrong thickness, rough seating of pads and so on. I've tried a few locals and they all have been disappointing to say the least.

Any suggestion?

I've bought the Haynes Sax Manual in order to start fixing my horn myself, but I'd rather bring my sax to someone who knows what he's doing and not have to worry about it.
Have you ever heard of Martin Krusche? (i don't know if I spelled that right). He does really good work if you can get a hold on him. Or, Russel Band Instrument repair on veterans in kenner does pretty good work. Who have you tried so far?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m going to take a chance and move this thread here, where I feel that it is going to get more answers than if it stays in the Evaluation forum.

I suspect that magical pig is expecting a different answer than "you know who" – Regardless, I trust that we can all keep this discussion civil.

- Thanks.
Thanks Kim!!

Have you ever heard of Martin Krusche? (i don't know if I spelled that right). He does really good work if you can get a hold on him. Or, Russel Band Instrument repair on veterans in kenner does pretty good work. Who have you tried so far?
Well, I'd like to avoid naming people I've already gone to as it's basically telling I think they suck. I'm very demanding about my setup because I have learned to detect whenever there's something wrong with my horn, and I have a very light touch - which means pads must be 100% leak free. As a result, I'm sure some of these techs would be satisfying for many people and I don't want to ruin their business.

I've tried one of the two you mentioned. That's where I experienced the bending that go out of adjustment. (I've recently learned bending keys in not a remedy for pad problems and even if you do bend keys, you're supposed to bend metal past where you want it and back because metal has a tendency to come back to its original position).

I'll investigate the other one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pig, do you know of any stores in nola that has any sax related stuff besides reeds? Like a place to try mouthpieces or horns? (I know about the music exchange, that's about it)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can feel your "pain" I finally found a very good "sax artisan" in Houston. It is a 130 mile drive one way but he is worth it! http://www.flemingrepair.com/
Reading through the website I stumbled upon this: "Inspect and replace pads as needed, Level any pads that are out of alignment and re-seat properly" This seems to be the part most people overlook here.

I would have thought "The Birthplace of Jazz" would have a myriad of fine shops.
Pig, where do you know of any stores in nola that has any sax related stuff besides reeds? Like a place to try mouthpieces or horns? (I know about the music exchange, that's about it)
Unfortunately, that's about it. If you want to try mouthpieces, you have to go out of state. With so many woodwind and brass players around, I find it weird the city has so few to offer in terms of supply and repair.

Of course, musicians are getting paid $50 a night in clubs, so they're not making enough to become a clientele for fine repair and accessories. I'm sure rubber bands sell like hot cakes in NOLA. Moreover, when they go out of town for gigs, they usually make a detour to their favorite out of state tech.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Reading through the website I stumbled upon this: "Inspect and replace pads as needed, Level any pads that are out of alignment and re-seat properly" This seems to be the part most people overlook here.
Yes, I am very pleased with Ed's work.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?147267-Fleming-Instrument-Repair-Houston&p=1725929#post1725929

While he had it in for the repairs he went through it adjusted everything. Man it really plays sweet now.. and while we were there... my wife purchased a very nice Selmer Series II tenor for my birthday present... see link in signature ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Did you ask Palo? Seems to me he'd be the one in the know to give you a good recommendation (if he has one).

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you ask Palo? Seems to me he'd be the one in the know to give you a good recommendation (if he has one).
Yes I did, and the guy he recommended didn't do it for me. Of course, the level of expertise and details to attention Palo has is my reference so I think it'll be tough for me to find someone who does work that's satisfying.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can you use these repair videos for those times between trips to the tech?
What's a VHS? :twisted:

I got the Haynes Sax manual which is more than enough for now.

I'm packing my bags now! I'll be rich!!!!!
LOL. Moreover, it's usually tips + % of the bar so it's not like it's money you can count on.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can feel your "pain" I finally found a very good "sax artisan" in Houston. It is a 130 mile drive one way but he is worth it! http://www.flemingrepair.com/

I would have thought "The Birthplace of Jazz" would have a myriad of fine shops.
I"m with Smokey. This thread dumbfounded me. I would have thought New Orleans would have had a ton of good insturment repairmen. Go figure!!!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
. . . and the sale of recreational products in the alley out back between sets.
Now that takes me back. My first real gigs were with a funk band in high school, 1965. We made about $40 a night. We doubled that via the aforementioned activity.

Too bad you cannot make that kind of money today.. According to the inflation calculator that's over $250... No club I know pays like that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Martin Krusche is THE horn repair person to see in New Orleans.
His craftsmanship and skills are impeccable.
His work is amazing! He's very conscientious.
His complete overhaul with hand made resonators is stunningly good.
I've recommended him to many players. Each one has come back to me with glowing reviews.
You won't be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts