Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the neck on my Ponzol Keilwerth tenor is worrying me a bit. When on the horn there is a bit too much flex or 'play' around the tenon for my liking and I would like to have another neck as backup. I only have one tenor and would be in trouble if I had to source a neck quickly (I couldn't here in Australia). I have seen another player (25 years ago) snap his keilwerth neck just before a big support gig and perhaps that spooked me!
Keilwerth don't make a replacement for the Ponzol neck, so who would you suggest would be a good choice to make one (as it is not a Selmer size, no ready made ones fit, would have to be made). Not after a neck to do new/better things).

Please don't tell me to buy another horn :)

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,528 Posts
So the neck on my Ponzol Keilwerth tenor is worrying me a bit. When on the horn there is a bit too much flex or 'play' around the tenon for my liking and I would like to have another neck as backup. I only have one tenor and would be in trouble if I had to source a neck quickly (I couldn't here in Australia). I have seen another player (25 years ago) snap his keilwerth neck just before a big support gig and perhaps that spooked me!
Keilwerth don't make a replacement for the Ponzol neck, so who would you suggest would be a good choice to make one (as it is not a Selmer size, no ready made ones fit, would have to be made). Not after a neck to do new/better things).

Please don't tell me to buy another horn :)

Thanks
Is the flex in the joint between the neck tube and tenon, or is it due to the fit of the tenon in the receiver? If the latter, you can get the tenon expanded to fit.

If due to the tube or the joint, that's troubling.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
If the tenon is loose in the receiver you just need to have it properly fettled.

If the tube is loose in the tenon, you need to have it re-soldered.

If the solder joint is good but the whole thing is just too flexible, you need to have a brace added.

None of this requires a replacement neck or any huge process. The last one is a bit more time consuming for your repair person.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,352 Posts
Well, Keilwerth necks are NOT renowned for spontaneously snapping ...so you can rest there :bluewink:

Yes, if it is the original neck to the horn then it should only need a slight tweak by a tech to get it to fit nice and snug. No reason a tech shouldn't be able to do that.

If the issue is the joint at the tenon/neck tube....then, that's puzzling although it should be resolvable by removing the tenon and resoldering it back on....

Now...when you start getting into replacing a neck or spare necks, and (as you did) the mfr does not carry any necks for your particular (rather rare) model...you are sorta left with going on a neck search, and that is a very slippery slope because, as (correctly) noted in countless threads here...there are many variables in getting an non-factory neck to match up well with a horn body - well beyond simple tenon size fitting your receiver.

And (dare I say) most neck sellers will gladly tell you that their neck is gonna work quite fine with your horn....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, to the tech I go! I do love this horn but maybe it is time it has a brother.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts