Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas guys? i need to find a neck that will fit my horn its an aristocrat body tube with 50s keywork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The truth is that just about any neck can be expanded to fit the Buescher. I've had a Yani tenor neck expanded to fit a Buescher 400 and a PB Moore neck expanded to a 1970's Bundy that has the same neck tenon size as the Buescher. Also, if you talking tenors, most necks from True Tones all the way up to about 680,000 serial-numbered Selmer buy-out Bueschers all have approximately the same size neck tenon. Of course, that means all the Buescher-style Bundy's and Signets do too. And before I am corrected on this, I do admit that there are a few notable exceptions.

SOTW member Jicaino, has also observed that 1930's Art Deco Crats, pre-War Big B's and 400's with back bell-keys usually came with a shorter, lower profiled neck than the post-War Crats. He also believes this post-War Crat neck is the style used for most other tenors from there until the end of the Selmer buy-out run in the serial number range mentioned above. So if your Crat body was made before World War II and has a serial number some where around 297,xxx or below, one of these shorter neck would be the most ideal.

I'm not sure how all this relates to altos, so let us know which you are working on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is my tenor, thanks for so much help!!
are there any modern necks that work well with it? does the bore (whatever that is) have anything to do with what nick i get?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Just curious why you're looking for a new neck? Is the old one damaged or missing?

Just because the tenon fits, doesn't mean that it's going to play well on your horn. You probably will need a '50s neck from a 156 -- not an easy thing to come by.

An alternative is to have one made, but that can be over $300. What's your budget?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the old one is damaged my budget is about 500$

·
5,528 Posts
this is my tenor, thanks for so much help!!
are there any modern necks that work well with it? does the bore (whatever that is) have anything to do with what nick i get?
If you can, try some different necks out. Take clear packing tape and rap it a couple of times around the tenon. Then cut off the part sticking down below the end of the tenon. I've found that you can use the neck that way for a long time. Or to just try one out at the store, rap it in Teflon plumber's tape.

Many of the newer necks will work fine, but they do alter the Buescher tone somewhat. And that may be a good thing. Some Bueschers have a very spread sound. A different neck can tighten it up sometimes. You will just have to experiment to find one that sounds right to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Yani, or those selmer sterling necks for MKVI's. The thickwall version. Swap the tenon away for the one in your buescher neck and youre done. They are about 350 bucks so it fits within budget.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"swap the tenon" what is that?

sorry for my lack of knowledge with tech

also then my last question is what kind of neck or is that a whole debate about material etc

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and im shopping around and can't find that neck is there a website that specializes in them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Friend of mine bit the bullet and got a Gloger neck fit for his Conn Tranny. He loves it and says the cash was totally worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Glogers are definitely worth the money and the wait.

As for swappin the tenon, THat means removing the original one and soldering on the original tenon from the busted original neck.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
I have a gold plate Barone neck that was stretched (ie the tenon was stretched) to fit a Big B. Perhaps others could confirm if this is suitable ( I liked it on the Big B but maybe that's different from your aristo??). I'm sure others could confirm or deny. It's just sitting in a drawer. If it's suitable perhaps we could do a deal.

·
5,528 Posts
I have a gold plate Barone neck that was stretched (ie the tenon was stretched) to fit a Big B. Perhaps others could confirm if this is suitable ( I liked it on the Big B but maybe that's different from your aristo??). I'm sure others could confirm or deny. It's just sitting in a drawer. If it's suitable perhaps we could do a deal.
That's sounds like a very good option. If it fits your Big B, it will most likely fit or come very close to fitting the OP's Crat no matter the vintage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts