Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2229 Posts

·
Vendor
15,604 Posts
NEW MPC ANNOUNCEMENT: 10MFAN pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces

10MFAN
SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECES:

WHERE WORLD-CLASS MODERN SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECES AND AFFORDABILITY MEET

FINALLY-----A REAL REPLACEMENT FOR OVER-PRICED VINTAGE MOUTHPIECES!!!!!!!

I would like to preface my announcement by saying there are many good playing mouthpieces out there, both vintage and modern, and I hope you all enjoy your own personal journeys finding which ones suit YOU the best. There is no one BEST mouthpiece out there for everyone because we all enjoy different things. There are different flavors for everyone to enjoy, and that's how it should always be. :)
When I ventured into making my own mouthpieces, my goal was to make mouthpieces that I felt outplayed vintage mouthpieces in the 3 categories I set them up in. It was an enormous undertaking, but something I felt was REALLY necessary and immensely important for the saxophone world. I felt like I could make better playing, better feeling mouthpieces and charge much less than the vintage mouthpieces sell for. You need to realize that our saxophone heroes played on those "vintage" pieces because those were the "modern" mouthpieces of their day. There wasn't anything magical about them at that time, they were just the only options available at that time. While many of those pieces play very well, I can assure you that if those heroes of ours were alive today, an enormous amount of them would be playing on my mouthpieces instead---because they offer so much more than the vintage mouthpieces do. Technology and human perseverance has come a long way in 70 years! It is important for me to step out from the vintage mouthpiece world and clear a path for modern mouthpieces that set themselves apart from the vintage pieces and all the copies of all those vintage pieces. I will continue to be the biggest seller of vintage mouthpieces, but I will make it clear to you, that my own line of hard rubber mouthpieces outplay all of those hard rubber mouthpieces for me.
I WILL NEVER PLAY ON A VINTAGE MOUTHPIECE EVER AGAIN....and that's all I've played for the last 30 years....I have played THOUSANDS of vintage mouthpieces, so please don't take that statement lightly.

My philosophy is that since I know the vintage mouthpieces so well, if I could please myself first with my own mouthpieces, then others would enjoy these immensely too.
YOUR PERSONAL JOURNEY INVOLVES YOU FINDING WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AS A PLAYER. WILL YOU BE OPEN ENOUGH TO TRY MY MOUTHPIECES AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN OFFER YOU? I HOPE SO. PLAYERS ALL AROUND THE WORLD ARE SWITCHING TO MY MOUTHPIECES FOR GOOD REASON, AND I HOPE YOU GIVE YOURSELF THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE WHAT THESE ARE ALL ABOUT. If you like another mouthpiece better, than that's what you should be playing on. It's an individual thing.
I wanted to make original designs that allowed players today a feel for the vintage sound and also a modern vibe. Mouthpieces that could cross-over and sound authentic either way. I wanted players to have an opportunity for something new and different, yet familiar at the same time. Copying vintage mouthpieces would not do this for me, so I got together with my friend and master mouthpiece maker Eric Falcon, to set forth on my personal journey to make 3 hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpieces that cover the full spectrum, thus making choices very easy for players when choosing a mouthpiece for themselves. MY METAL MOUTHPIECES WILL BE RELEASED IN THE LATE SPRING, 2014.

THESE ARE ORIGINAL PROPRIETARY DESIGN HARD RUBBER SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECES CARVED OUT BY CNC MACHINE ONE AT A TIME FROM 100% PURE GERMAN SOLID BAR STOCK HARD RUBBER. EACH MOUTHPIECE IS THEN HAND FINISHED WITH PRECISE CARE AND EXPERTISE BY MASTER MOUTHPIECE CRAFTSMAN, ERIC FALCON.

For me as a player who loves hard rubber, there is simply NOTHING better! These mouthpieces are well on their way to changing thousands of saxophone players lives all around the world.

A little background on myself For those of you who don't know me: I have been the biggest vintage mouthpiece dealer on the internet for a VERY long time. I have made my living solely as a saxophone player, educator, and dealer of mouthpieces for 30 years.... in short, I KNOW MOUTHPIECES!!! :) I've had the opportunity to own more vintage mouthpieces than probably anyone on the planet, and I can honestly and very proudly say that my 10MFAN� mouthpieces were not going to be released until I firmly believed that they were the finest playing hard rubber tenor mouthpieces I have ever played in the 3 categories I put them in. Again, it was all about passing the test for MYSELF first.
I couldn't be happier with my hard rubber mouthpieces and I say this with immense passion and pride. I wanted players of all levels including pro players like myself, to finally have NEW MOUTHPIECE OPTIONS, ORIGINAL DESIGNS, AND A SIMPLE CATEGORICAL SYSTEM TO BE ABLE TO PICK THE RIGHT MOUTHPIECE FOR THEMSELVES. I prototyped until each piece did EXACTLY what I wanted them to do and I could't possibly be more pleased with the results.

I wanted to make mouthpieces that had a vintage AND an available modern vibe to them. After 30 years of dealing with vintage and modern mouthpieces, I was always disheartened selling vintage mouthpieces because vintage hard rubber tenor mouthpieces to me, put you in a "sound corner" and that's why so many players who play the same model mouthpiece have sounds that are so similar to one another. Same scenario with copies of these same vintage mouthpieces. I just wanted better for myself as a player, and I knew others would find great joy in these themselves, once I was completely satisfied with them for myself.

THESE ARE THE FIRST HARD RUBBER MOUTHPIECES I HAVE EVER PLAYED THAT TRULY ALLOW THE PLAYER SERIOUS CUSTOMIZATION OF SOUND COLOR THROUGH SIMPLE REED CHOICES. REEDS ARE YOUR FRIENDS, AND THE BETTER FRIENDS YOU BECOME WITH THEM, THE BETTER YOU CAN MAKE YOUR SOUND ALL THAT YOU WANT IT TO BE FOR YOURSELF.

If you put 5 different brand reeds on an old vintage hard rubber Link mouthpiece you'll hear that the sound color doesn't change much at all. Different brand reeds in the past with vintage mouthpieces have primarily been for us to get the size and response we want. Put 5 different brand reeds on my 10mfan� mouthpieces, and you will hear the changes right away. With my mouthpieces---these are the first mouthpieces that I can truly "color" my sound to a huge degree in terms of brightness and warmth, with simple reed changes. This is an ENORMOUS contribution to the mouthpiece world for saxophone players! For example---- blue box Vandoren reeds will darken the sound alot, Lavoz give it warmth but less darks than the blue box, Rico Jazz Selects will give it more power and less darks than the first two, ZZ Vandorens will give it even more pop, buzz, and brights than the first 3, and Rigottis will make it sound way brighter and powerful than the the other 4 reeds! These are the 1st mouthpieces I have ever played where "sound color" can be so DRAMATICALLY changed with simple reed selection!
You don't need 5 different mouthpieces or a mouthpiece refacer to get you the colors you want---you just need to try different brand reeds with my mouthpieces to accommodate a huge spectrum of color for yourself. This is a much needed change in the mouthpiece world.
These are the first mouthpieces I can say that I have honestly experienced this dramatic type of sound color change availability. This is because of the beauty of the designs. Many people are picking the model of mine that they want, and keeping a few different reed brands in their reed guard to accommodate different playing scenarios and needs. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. I worked on designing my own mouthpiece line for a VERY long time now and I wasn't going to release them until I felt they were better for me than ANY hard rubber tenor mouthpieces EVER AVAILABLE in each of the 3 categories I set them up in. What are these 3 categories I am talking about????---More to come...read on. My mouthpieces come from a solid rod of 100% pure hard rubber bar stock, then they are CNC'd to be incredibly accurate, and then each is hand finished one at a time with incredible care and precision craftsmanship. This has truly been a labor of love, and much more difficult and rewarding than I could have ever imagined. My entire heart and soul has gone into making these mouthpieces, so that players can finally get something that is TRULY UNIQUE and is priced WAY lower than the few mouthpiece makers that are making mouthpieces this way. I just felt like players deserved a break from all the over-priced vintage mouthpieces out there. Those are rare and limited, as they are no longer being made...but modern mouthpieces AREN'T, so they don't need to be priced so crazy, in my opinion!
Aren't you tired of paying $500-$1500 for a hard rubber tenor mouthpiece???
I've sold thousands of mouthpieces in this range for decades, and for me, even the best of them don't compete with my 10mfan� mouthpieces. Vintage pieces command such high prices, and frankly, they are warranted by how the pieces play. I promised myself to make mouthpieces that were what I considered to be the absolute best players for me, and offer them at a great price for everyone else. I can sell you a pristine 7* Slant Sig Otto Link for $1500, but it won't play as well as my Robusto model that I sell for $385. I encourage you to compare the sound, feel, and response of ANY hard rubber mouthpieces to mine that are in the same categories, and compare with my price of $385! I feel strongly that it is about time we stop comparing every mouthpiece to old vintage mouthpieces. If you have played an old Link for 40 years and thats the best mouthpiece you've ever played, I challenge you to come and see what I've been up to. I feel strongly that I have now made BETTER playing, BETTER designed mouthpieces than the vintage mouthpieces. New options are now available to players and THE BAR HAS DEFINITELY BEEN RAISED!

Countless players who have played on those vintage pieces for decades are now seeing the light and switching from their main piece to one, two, or all three of my 10mfan� mouthpieces. You can use one for everything you do, or mix it up and use a couple to accommodate those particular playing scenarios you might encounter where you need something specific. Times have changed and so has the technology. I am making mouthpieces now that are made to do more than the vintage mouthpieces and their copies are capable of doing. I just got so tired of hearing countless players playing on the same brand vintage mouthpiece and sounding so similar to one another. It's that same old sound over and over and over again from the same models. I want to help put INDIVIDUALITY into mouthpieces. My mouthpieces are truly mouthpieces that don't get in your way, and actually let YOU sound like YOU. (Not everyone else). Mouthpieces that allow you to forget about the mouthpiece while you're playing, so you can just concentrate on the MUSIC being made, without worries about any mouthpiece issues. Mouthpieces that can sound vintage and modern depending on how you blow them and what you want to do with them. Listen to the audios on my website of Jeff Rupert on my MERLOT model, then listen to Joel Frahm on the MERLOT model, and then listen to Tom Mitchell on my MERLOT. You'd swear there were 3 different mouthpieces being played---but they're not! Just 3 GREAT players displaying some of the huge sound spectrum thats available in that one mouthpiece model. They all get THEIR own unique sounds from the same mouthpiece model---that says so much about these mouthpieces. All 3 of my mouthpieces offer a huge sound spectrum within the 3 categories I set them up in. Many of the heavyweights in the saxophone world are using my mouthpieces now. The feedback has been beyond anything I could have ever possibly imagined. "A new standard in mouthpiece design" is what I keep hearing. Now, players of ALL levels all over the world are enjoying these mouthpieces. Look for the 3 white rings around the shank when you are out seeing guys playing....these are popping up all over the world. Someone was recently on GOOD MORNING AMERICA playing my piece, and another friend let me know that someone was on THE VIEW playing my piece recently.

NO copy pieces, NO marketing BS, NO endorsers, NO overpricing
NOW DOESN'T THAT SOUND REFRESHING! I am offering 3 ORIGINAL, incredibly well-designed, well thought out mouthpieces that play better for me than ALL hard rubber mouthpieces out there in each of my 3 categories, AND at a great price. These are mouthpieces that truly let you get YOUR sound, without getting in your way. They are the most flexible in terms of what they can offer in terms of the "color" available from each piece, than any hard rubber tenor mouthpieces I have ever played. Incredible color flexibility and a huge spectrum of sound within each of these 3 mouthpiece models!.

A HEARTFELT THANK YOU TO THE BIG 6 ORIGINAL VINTAGE MOUTHPIECE MAKERS:
I pay homage and will be forever grateful to the BIG 6 vintage mouthpiece makers who started it all and set the mark for mouthpiece making:
MEYER BROS, OTTO LINK, BRILHART, BERG LARSEN, SELMER, AND DUKOFF. These companies made ORIGINAL mouthpieces that sounded unique and offered players a great variety of different designs and sound choices to choose from. These guys laid down the foundation for what makes a great saxophone mouthpiece, and I am forever grateful for their efforts. These designs are timeless but the demands on todays musicians require more accommodating mouthpiece designs. It has been my vision to make ORIGINAL DESIGNS that sound and feel unique, embrace the past, and will accommodate todays players needs BEYOND the vintage mouthpieces.

MATERIALS AND HAND FINISHING:
My 10mfan� mouthpieces are made from 100% PURE HARD RUBBER BAR STOCK from Germany, and all of these are hand finished by master craftsman Eric Falcon. His work is incredibly accurate and exceptional. If I felt someone else could do a better job on my mouthpieces, I would be using them. I have spared no expense in making these mouthpieces just right. Eric and I find this German pure hard rubber bar stock to be the most resonant, and that's what I want from my rubber mouthpieces. Others can argue about material, but after countless trials with many different non-metal materials---this 100% pure hard rubber is EXACTLY what I wanted for my hard rubber mouthpieces. If you think the vintage rubber is better---NO WAY! When you play mine, you'll understand. My mouthpieces are NOT produced from anyone else's pre-made blanks. All my hard rubber designs start from scratch from original designs that are then saved on the computer. Each mouthpiece is then made from scratch from a bar of pure hard rubber which is then carved out by a CNC machine, then hand finished and play tested extensively by both Eric and myself. These pieces are precision made and are incredibly accurate. These are ORIGINAL proprietary designs, not copies of anything past or present. My mouthpieces are trademark and copyright protected. They are made here in the U.S.A. one mouthpiece at a time. I have 3 hard rubber tenor designs that I've made that should take care of the needs of virtually EVERYONE who likes to play hard rubber on tenor. Three 10mfan� metal tenor mouthpieces will be released around late May 2014, and 2 hard rubber alto mouthpieces will follow in the late summer.

DESIGN LIMITATIONS:
I know what my personal mouthpiece needs as a player have been for 30 years. My business has been to watch the mouthpiece marketplace carefully, and listen to what players needs are. I don't know of anyone who has owned more vintage mouthpieces than myself and I've been very fortunate to have owned the very best playing vintage pieces. I've played on them for 30 years because that's what has been the best option available to me, in my opinion. Unfortunately, there are design limitations with all of these that we've gotten used to all these years. The problem is that vintage mouthpieces are what they are....THEY DON'T CHANGE. Don't get me wrong---many are WONDERFUL mouthpieces, but they are what they are and will never give you the opportunity of anything more than that. Technological advances allow design adaptations to accommodate the needs of todays musicians. Let me explain about design limitations:
You can't play an original vintage Dukoff Fluted Chamber tenor with a small chamber, a shorter table, narrower window, higher floor, higher beak, or a super high baffle. NO, OF COURSE I'M NOT MAKING ANYTHING LIKE THIS------ These are just examples of design limitations. In other words, designs of vintage mouthpieces DO NOT change over time. They are what they are and that's it. People are still playing the mouthpieces that were designed 50-70 years ago. Many of those are very good mouthpieces, (I know, I have bought and sold them for 30 years), but I certainly don't want to be limited to their same old designs. Todays technology allows us to do so much more.
I won't play any vintage mouthpieces ever again, because I have made BETTER mouthpieces for myself now with my 10mfan� mouthpiece line.Many of you will enjoy them as much as I do, and that makes me very happy.

I have made mouthpieces here where the beaks feel incredibly comfortable, and all my tables are extra long so you can line up a reed properly. The insides are masterfully designed, an abundance of ligatures fit these pieces very well, and the sounds are incredibly versatile to allow you to get YOUR sound. The baffles, floors, chambers, throat squeeze, etc, are different on all 3 of my mouthpieces. The pieces were designed one at a time to meet the desired sound concept for each of the 3 sound categories.

Upon realizing there was a real need for myself to make these mouthpieces, I had two choices:
Accept mouthpiece designs as they have been--- or make what I consider MUCH BETTER designs for myself. When I made the commitment to make the best modern hard rubber tenor mouthpieces for myself---"Acceptance of what is" was NOT going to be my approach.

YOU DON'T NEED THAT FROM ME, AND YOU WON'T GET THAT FROM ME.....YOU WILL GET MORE THAN THAT FROM ME!

There are more than enough copy pieces available to you in the marketplace, in my opinion. If you play on one of these copy pieces and enjoy it, THAT'S GREAT. Our ultimate goal as saxophonists is to find a mouthpiece that works great for ourselves, and there are many well-made original and well-made copy mouthpieces in the marketplace to choose from. I believe strongly that all of the comparing of copy pieces to copy pieces is a big mistake. That's why the same mouthpieces go round and round and round in the marketplace. Rather than doing that, I've categorized hard rubber mouthpieces into 3 categories based on SOUND, not on comparisons to a specific mouthpiece model. This makes much more sense than going that other route. If you want to compare so-and-so's copy of a certain warm, full sounding vintage model to 8 other peoples copy of that same warm, full sounding vintage model---where is that getting you? How about going further by categorizing and comparing ALL warm, full sounding mouthpiece models and pick the best of the group for yourself? This puts ALL of the pieces that would fit into that certain category together, rather than comparing just one copy model to the another copy of the same model out there. That's what I've done with my 3 categories.

I have absolutely NO interest in taking part in trying to come up with the "best version" of some vintage mouthpiece model that I didn't design.

I don't want to make someone else's designs better-----------

I SIMPLY WANTED TO MAKE MY OWN ORIGINAL MOUTHPIECES THAT FOR ME, HAVE BETTER DESIGNS, AND I CAN CONFIDENTLY SAY THAT I WILL NEVER NEED ANY HARD RUBBER TENOR SAXOPHONE MOUTHPIECE FOR MY OWN PLAYING NEEDS OTHER THAN THESE�.EVER.

WITH TODAYS COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY-----THERE ARE NO LIMITATIONS. Technology allows us to do things that the past mouthpiece makers could't do, due to the technology available at that time. I was able to make pieces that embrace the past, but meet the needs of today�s players looking to get beyond the limitations of vintage mouthpieces. I have heard over and over again, "I love my piece in my living room, but when I go on the gig, I can barely hear myself. Then I blow harder to get louder, and my mouthpiece won't take all the air I want to give it." The world�s best players have said to me for decades that they wished their mouthpieces "opened up" and "released the sound" more when they're blowing hard and blowing up high on the horn. Vintage hard rubber pieces stay pretty warm throughout the ranges and many players find they end up hitting a wall when they try and really push them. My mouthpiece DON'T do that. I have addressed all of this with my 10mfan� mouthpieces.

THE 4 KEYS TO A PERFECT 10MFAN MOUTHPIECE SET-UP:

1. LINE THE TOP OF THE REED UP TO THE ABSOLUTE TIP OF THE MOUTHPIECE. WE MAKE OUR TIP RAILS VERY THIN FOR SUPER FAST RESPONSE AND ARTICULATION, SO IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE REED IS LINED UP TO THE VERY TIP OF YOUR MOUTHPIECE.

2. MAKE SURE THE END OF YOUR REED IS CENTERED ON THE TABLE.... I HAVE TAKEN THE ADDED CARE IN MAKING ALL OF MY MOUTHPIECE WITH EXTRA LONG TABLES SO THAT YOU CAN MAKE SURE THAT THE BOTTOM OF THE REED IS LINED UP PERFECTLY SIDE TO SIDE ON THE TABLE.

3. TRY OUT DIFFERENT LIGATURES TO GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT. I MADE THE TAPERS ON MY BODY A CERTAIN WAY SO THAT 99% OF THE LIGS OUT THERE WILL FIT MY PIECES WELL. I AM OLD SCHOOL AND FIND SIMPLE 2-SCREW METAL LIGS TO WORK THE BEST FOR ME, THOUGH I AM ENJOYING THE ROVNER PLATINUM LIGATURE VERY MUCH, AS FAR AS MODERN LIGATURES GO.

4. REED CHOICE IS CRUCIAL FOR YOUR SUCCESS BECAUSE MY MOUTHPIECES ARE THE MOST FLEXIBLE IN TERMS OF SOUND COLOR, OF ANY MOUTHPIECES I HAVE EVER PLAYED! THIS MEANS THAT YOU CAN DRAMATICALLY CHANGE THE WARMTH AND BRIGHTNESS OF EACH OF MY MOUTHPIECES WITH SIMPLE REED CHOICES. PICK THE RIGHT REED BRAND AND CUT TO GET YOU THE RESPONSE AND COLOR YOU WANT FROM MY MOUTHPIECES, AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY DIFFERENT SIZES. YOU CAN MAKE ALL OF MY MOUTHPIECES WARMER OR BRIGHTER WITH THE RIGHT REED CHOICES. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS WHEN YOU TRY MY MOUTHPIECES. THE SAXOPHONE REED COMPARISON CHARTS ON THE INTERNET ARE A FANTASTIC RESOURCE FOR GETTING YOU ZONED IN ON YOUR CORRECT SIZE AND OFFER YOU SUGGESTIONS TO DIFFERENT BRANDS THAT ARE IN YOUR SIZE. IF YOU FIND YOUR MOUTHPIECE IS A LITTLE WARMER THAN YOU WANTED, THAN GO TO BRIGHTER CUT REEDS AND VISA VERSA. THERES ALOT OF TWEAKING AND CUSTOMIZING YOU CAN DO WITH REEDS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS. IF YOU PLAY A MARK VI AND YOUR ROBUSTO IS PERFECT FOR YOU WITH A RICO ROYAL REED, BUT ITS TOO WARM SOUNDING ON YOUR MARTIN WITH THAT SET-UP-----JUST CHANGE TO RIGOTTI, ZZ'S, V16, QUEEN, GONZALEZ, MARCA, OR HAHN SYNTHETIC BRIGHT CUT REEDS AND YOU'LL GET MORE POP ON YOUR MARTIN WITH THE SAME MOUTHPIECE.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE! ITS ALL ABOUT FINE-TUNING WITH REEDS TO GET WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE FROM YOUR SOUND AND SET-UP. STOP RUNNING TO YOUR REFACER FOR SIMPLE BRIGHTNESS OR DARKNESS CHANGES YOU WANT----- JUST LEARN TO USE REEDS CORRECTLY AND TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!
I AM ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE REEDGEEK TOOL THAT MAKES YOUR REEDS MUCH BETTER THAN THEY ARE NOW. LOOK THAT PRODUCT UP ON THE INTERNET. NO, I AM NOT PAID TO SAY THIS---IT'S JUST A HELPFUL TOOL FOR PLAYERS, AND WORTH CHECKING OUT.

MY 3-CATEGORY SYSTEM:

One of my many goals was to help simplify the mouthpiece madness out there!
To meet my goal of simplifying mouthpiece choices, I have come up with a 3-category system that will take care of the needs of virtually all players.
It covers the sound spectrum in a simple yet extremely effective way. The simplified version is that I basically wanted a 1st category warm, full-bodied piece,
a 2nd category classic all-around piece (with more power, body, and punch than the vintage mouthpieces), and a 3rd category very powerful, high baffled piece with lots of body, brights, and meaty darks
available depending on how you blow your air, and what reed choices you make. My 3rd model is a piece that can be bright and powerful or also warm, meaty, and powerful.
It was designed for the rock, fusion, blues, smooth jazz players, but many jazz players are already going really crazy for it. It's an incredible mouthpiece.
It's important to make sure you have a mouthpiece in the proper category that fits your personal playing needs. I think it's crazy when someone buys a 1940�s Tone Master and then puts loads
of epoxy in it to make it much brighter and louder�..
MY SIMPLE ANSWER TO THIS: buy a mouthpiece that is DESIGNED to give you brighter and louder than your Tone Master!

You also need to be aware of the 3 categories when comparing different mouthpieces.
Example---you're comparing apples to oranges if you compare a Java to a Slant.
The Slant is innately a warm, full sounding player and would be in my 1st category. Same with a Reso Chamber, Broadus, Selmer hard rubbers, Dukoff Fluted Chambers,
Lamberson J model, Freddie Gregory Mark II hard rubbers, and various copies of these types of pieces, etc, etc,�
The Java is designed to be a very powerful mouthpiece and would best fit my 3rd category with pieces such as the RPC high baffle , Bergs with a "0" or "1" baffle height, Lamberson SB's and DD's and pieces like that.
Examples of mouthpieces that would fit in my 2nd category are the Early Babbitt hard rubbers, Meyer Bros, Freddie Gregory Mark IV hard rubbers, RPC lower baffle model, Lamberson L model, and various copies of these types of pieces, etc�
I can't write down every mouthpiece ever made and which category they fit in, but I am sure you can see where I'm going with this and how I am breaking up the categories.
I compare hard rubber pieces to other hard rubbers that are in the same categories. This makes mouthpiece choices much easier, and is one of the big reasons I love my 3-category system.
It simplifies the choices, focusses on SOUND/DESIGN, and compares apples to apples.

I've made it simple for you. Just read my descriptions of each category below and decide what BEST FITS YOUR NEEDS AS A PLAYER.

MY 3 MOUTHPIECE MODELS AND CATEGORIES:

1. "MERLOT"
WARM, OPEN, PURE SOUNDING, FULL-BODIED PIECE WITH POWER, CLARITY, AND DEPTH.
RICH, FULL BODIED, WARM AND ROUND WITH LOTS OF CLARITY, DEPTH, AND POWER. VERY PERSONAL SOUNDING. INCREDIBLE BLUE NOTE ERA SOUND OF THE 50'S AND 60'S AND A VERY MODERN SOUND IS AVAILABLE FROM IT AT THE SAME TIME! FOR MODERN GUYS THAT HAVE THE MERLOT VIBE: THINK BERGONZI, FRAHM, POTTER, MINTZER, AND SEAMUS BLAKE. I WANTED A WARM, FULL SOUNDING PIECE THAT WASN'T DARK, YET WITH ALEXANDER NY OR VANDOREN BLUE BOX REEDS, IT WILL PLAY DARKER. THIS HAS A BEAUTIFUL CORE SOUND AND IS INCREDIBLY FLEXIBLE WITH ALL THE SOUND SPECTRUM IT CAN OFFER! IT CAN OPEN UP AND LET LOOSE WITHOUT GETTING TOO BRIGHT FOR ME. IT DOES NOT HAVE THE TUBBINESS OR STUFFINESS ASSOCIATED WITH HARD RUBBER VINTAGE MOUTHPIECES! I MADE THIS TO SOUND WARM WITH PLENTY OF POWER WHEN YOU PUSH IT----NOT STUFFY AT ALL. IT HAS THE LOWEST BAFFLE OF MY 3 MOUTHPIECES, AND A WIDE,FULL SOUND WITH PLENTY OF POWER AVAILABLE WHEN YOU WANT TO LET LOOSE ON IT. LISTEN TO JOEL FRAHM, THEN TOM MITCHELL, THEN JEFF RUPERT, AND THEN CHRIS POTTER IN MY MERLOT AUDIO SECTION. THIS WILL SHOW YOU THE INCREDIBLE SOUND SPECTRUM IT OFFERS! FAR MORE FOR ME THAN ALL THE WARMER CATEGORY HARD RUBBER VINTAGE MOUTHPIECES. I WANTED TO MAKE A WARM PLAYING TENOR MOUTHPIECE THAT DIDN'T SOUND JUST LIKE A 60's SLANT, DOES MUCH MORE THAN THEY CAN DO---AND DOESN'T PUT YOU IN A "SOUND CORNER" AND MAKE YOU SOUND ONE-WAY. MINE OFFERS WAY MORE FLEXIBILITY, DEPTH, AND CLARITY-----AND IT DOES IT WITH MEANING! JOEL FRAHM IS AS PICKY AS THEY COME FOR ACHIEVING THE PERFECT SOUND FOR HIMSELF, AND HE IS ON MY MERLOT AND ROBUSTO MODELS. HE PUT THE SLANT LINK IN THE DRAWER, AND HASN'T LOOKED BACK. THE SOUND CAN BE VERY CLEAN OR FLUFFY DEPENDING ON HOW YOU PLAY IT. THIS PIECE DOES NOT MAKE YOU PLAY "ONE WAY" LIKE THE VINTAGE MOUTHPIECES. YOU CAN EASILY GO FROM STAN GETZ-JOEL FRAHM WITH THIS PIECE. LIKE A FINE WINE, YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT THIS PIECE WILL CONTINUE TO GET BETTER AND BETTER FOR YOU WITH TIME!
FINALLY, MOUTHPIECES THAT CAN GET BOTH THE VINTAGE VIBE AND MODERN VIBE!

2. "ROBUSTO"
BEST ALL-AROUND HARD RUBBER JAZZ PIECE I'VE EVER PLAYED:
THIS OFFERS THE PERFECT BLEND OF LOWS, MIDS, + HIGHS.
A RICH COLOR PALETTE AND A WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE.
THE SOUND HAS A REALLY GREAT PUNCH TO IT WHEN
PUSHED. THIS HAS A TIMELESS HARD BOP NY TENOR SOUND.
CLASSIC STRAIGHT AHEAD SOUND WITH MORE POWER AND
PUNCH THAN THE TRADITIONAL VINTAGE MOUTHPIECES.
LOTS OF ROOM TO LET LOOSE WITH THIS PIECE.
IT'S VERY GENE AMMONS ON HIS "BOSS TENORS" ALBUM, AND
DEXTER GORDON ON HIS "GO" ALBUM, FOR ME---IT OFFERS
GREAT BODY AND DEPTH. IT'S CLEAN AND POWERFUL TOP
TO BOTTOM WITH A HUGE BODY OF SOUND. LIKE ALL MY
MOUTHPIECES, THE SOUND "OPENS UP" BEAUTIFULLY.
THIS HAS A LONGER BAFFLE THAN THE MERLOT AND THE
SOUND IS HUGE AND VERY FAT WITH MUCH MORE PUNCH.
THIS FOR ME IS THE BEST ALL-AROUND STRAIGHT
AHEAD JAZZ HARD RUBBER TENOR MPC I HAVE EVER PLAYED.
I DESIGNED IT TO BE MY PERSONAL TENOR MPC-----AND IT IS.

3. "THE BOSS"
VERY POWERFUL HARD RUBBER MOUTHPIECE!!!
I HAVEN'T LEFT OUT THOSE WHO WANT TO LET LOOSE!
THIS PIECE IS DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE THOSE LOOKING
FOR GREAT POWER WITH FULLNESS, BODY, DEPTH, AND
CLARITY. IT CAN BE PLAYED WITH A HUGE, MEATY, FAT,
POWERFUL DARKER CORE SOUND OR A VERY BRIGHT AND
POWERFUL SOUND DEPENDING ON HOW YOU PLAY--- WITHOUT
SACRIFICING A DEEP RICH CORE AND VERY COMPLEX CENTER.
IF YOU ARE A PLAYER WHO BLOWS DARKER:
THE SOUND WILL BE VERY POWERFUL, THICK, RICH, DARKER,
AND MEATY WITH TONS OF POWER TOP TO BOTTOM.
IF YOU ARE A PLAYER WHO BLOWS BRIGHTER:
THIS WILL BE A VERY POWERFUL, BRIGHT HARD RUBBER
MOUTHPIECE FOR YOU--- MOST LIKELY THE MOST POWERFUL
HARD RUBBER TENOR MOUTHPIECE YOU'VE EVER PLAYED.
THE MULTI-PHONICS AND ALTISSIMO ARE TRULY INCREDIBLE.
THIS MOUTHPIECE CAN BE PLAYED QUIETLY AND RETAINS A
HUGE, FAT TONE, AND HAS THE AVAILABILITY OF
EXCEPTIONAL POWER THROUGHOUT THE RANGES.
IF YOU'VE HAD BAD LUCK WITH HIGHER BAFFLE PIECES IN THE
PAST, ALLOW ME TO SHOW YOU HOW GREAT THIS CAN BE WHEN
EXECUTED PROPERLY. THIS DOESNT FEEL LIKE A HIGH BAFFLE
PIECE TO ME. I'VE HAD FRIENDS PLAY IT AND THEY ARE
AMAZED AT HOW THE AIR GOES THROUGH IT. THEY AGREED
IT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A TYPICAL HIGH BAFFLE TO THEM
EITHER. IT HAS ENORMOUS DEPTH AND FLEXIBILITY.
SPECIAL NOTE:
EVEN THOUGH THIS HAS A HIGH BAFFLE, THE FACING CURVE
IS DESIGNED TO ALLOW YOU TO PLAY THE SAME TIP SIZE AS
YOU WOULD WITH MY LOW BAFFLE MOUTHPIECE. YOU DO NOT
NEED TO GO UP ANY TIP SIZES HERE. YOU CAN USE THE SAME
TIP YOU WOULD ON ANY OF MY MOUTHPIECES. IF YOU'VE
ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY BIGGER TIP, HIGH BAFFLED PIECES---
THIS IS YOUR CHANCE. THIS PIECE IS A BEAST!!! THE BAFFLE IS
HIGH BUT NOT OVERLY LONG, SO THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF
LOW'S AND MID'S IN THE SOUND ALONG WITH THE HIGH'S.
THIS MOUTHPIECE IS APPROPRIATELY NAMED "THE BOSS".

There are so many different shades of brightness/darkness that can be explored by these 3 models. THE FLEXIBILITY IS OVERWHELMING, TO BE HONEST WITH YOU. I feel strongly that
reeds and ligatures will also greatly accommodate exploring MANY different shades of brighter and darker for everyone. I feel this 3-CATEGORY SYSTEM really makes mouthpiece choices
so much easier. Some players like to play on one mouthpiece for everything they do, and others use more than one for different playing scenarios.
You can take either approach here with my mouthpieces.
Each of my models offer their own individuality and power, so if you like to use one mouthpiece for everything you do, that can be easily accomplished here.

MOUTHPIECES GIVE YOU SOUND, NOT STYLISTIC CONCEPTS:
I listen for SOUND rather than stylistic concepts or comparisons to other mouthpiece models, when talking about mouthpiece sounds.
When looking for a mouthpiece and attempting to get a sound closer to your favorite players tone, many people make the mistake of thinking about the players' style concept and what
mouthpiece models they use/used---- instead of addressing the color of their sound.
This is a HUGE mistake in my opinion and it's never talked about.
If someone says to me that they want to sound like Dexter Gordon---I would ask which albums or periods they are talking about, because he sounded very different at different points in
his career. You don't need to chase down the same model vintage mouthpieces he used to get closer to his sounds. Virtually all players sound different during their careers.
Again, I am not talking about stylistic differences----I am purely talking about SOUND. 1953 Sonny Rollins has a MUCH DIFFERENT SOUND COLOR than 1983 Sonny Rollins! I love them both,
but they are VERY different. You DO NOT need to get the same mouthpiece model your favorite player used or uses. My approach is to go with the right category so you can color the
mouthpiece YOUR WAY. That's why I love the simplicity of my mouthpiece concept so much. For you to get the most out of YOUR own sound, get the right category and the mouthpiece will
allow you to get YOUR sound without it getting in your way.

Read my descriptions of the 3 mouthpieces I've designed, and pick what's best for your needs. I will give youtube examples of sounds that fit in each of my categories so you can start to
think differently when listening for the "color" of different players' sounds.

YOUTUBE EXAMPLES OF MY 3 CATEGORIES:

BELOW ARE EXAMPLES OF SOME PLAYERS SOUNDS THAT FIT VERY WELL IN
EACH OF MY CATEGORIES. THEIR "STYLES" ARE DIFFERENT, BUT THEIR SOUNDS
FIT NICELY SHOWING THE FLEXIBILITY WITHIN EACH CATEGORY.
THESE EXAMPLES ARE ALL ON YOUTUBE FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO AND BETTER
UNDERSTAND WHERE I'M COMING FROM WITH EACH OF MY MOUTHPIECE CHOICES:

For the Category 1 "MERLOT" mouthpiece think:
Hank Mobley on SOUL STATION 1960
Chris Potter LIFT! LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD 2002
Stan Getz with Gerry Mulligan LET'S FALL IN LOVE 1958
Josh Redman MOOSE THE MOOCHE from WISH 1993
Mark Turner SKYLARK from BALLAD SESSION 2000
Scott Hamilton on TENOR SHOES 1993
Joel Frahm and Brad Mehldau----AWAY FROM HOME 2004
Dexter Gordon I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU 1965
Sonny Rollins ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE 1953
Seamus Blake BODY AND SOUL live in Virginia 2010
George Garzone AMONG FRIENDS 2009
Jerry Bergonzi with Dave Santoro ON GREEN DOLPHIN ST. 2007
Zoot Sims YOU GO TO MY HEAD 1961
Josh Redman THE PASSAGE OF TIME
Sonny Stitt I WANT TO BE HAPPY 1950
Richie Kamuca EARLY BIRD 1957
Harry Allen CHELSEA BRIDGE live 2008
Al Cohn SUDDENLY ITS SPRING 1954
Ken Peplowski THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE 2006
The Category 1 "MERLOT" mouthpiece is designed to give you the warmth, richness, width, and colors that these players possess---with lots of power available.

For the Category 2 "ROBUSTO" mouthpiece think: Dexter Gordon on GO 1962
Gene Ammons on BOSS TENORS with Sonny Stitt 1960
Sonny Rollins WAY OUT WEST 1957
Johnny Griffin THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT 1956
Chris Potter with Joe Lovano "FOUR" live
Josh Redman Quartet STRAIGHT AHEAD 1994
Seamus Blake THE FEELING OF JAZZ 2009
George Garzone FOUR'S AND TWO'S, FOUR'S AND TWO'S 1996
Booker Ervin GROOVIN HIGH from 1964
John Coltrane BLUE TRAIN 1957
Dexter Gordon LADYBIRD live 1964
Al Cohn I WANT TO BE HAPPY 1989
Brian Scanlon Big Phat Band CUT 'N' RUN
Frank Foster Quintet THE HEAT'S ON 1954
Sonny Rollins STRODE RODE from Saxophone Colossus 1956
Arnie Krakowsy-with Johnny Souza YOU'D BE SO NICE TO COME HOME TO
If you dig a classic straight ahead sound with power, punch and sizzle on top---you'll love my category 2 "ROBUSTO" mouthpiece.

For the Category 3 "THE BOSS" mouthpiece think:Michael Brecker (Brecker Bros) STRAPHANGIN' 1980
Sonny Rollins ALFIES THEME 1973
Stanley Turrentine SUGAR live with Sanborn 1989
Pharaoh Sanders HEART IS A MELODY OF TIME 1983
Gene Ammons with Stitt BYE BYE BLACKBIRD 1962
Red Holloway and Plas Johnson PASS THE GRAVY 2001
Josh Redman with The Rolling Stones WAITING ON A FRIEND live 1997
James Carter--JOSHUA REDMAN VS. JAMES CARTER CARNEGIE HALL
Willis Jackson BAR WARS 1977
Ken Gioffre LIVIU POP
Lenny Pickett with Tower of Power BELIEVE IT 1990
Ed Calle DOUBLE TALK 1996
Bob Berg BACK ROADS live 1992, or JIGSAW, IN THE SHADOWS
Chris Potter MEGALOPOLIS 2008
Euge Groove S7ven Large---LIVE IN LONDON 2011
Red Prysock HIDE AWAY 1962
Eddie Daniels SLAM DUNK 1993
Kirk Whalum YOU ARE EVERYTHING
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis SKILLET from 1958
If you blow darker and love a rich, deep, full bodied, meaty sound with loads of power�or if you blow brighter and love extra power with brightness and cut availabler--you'll love
my Category 3 "THE BOSS" mouthpiece.

When designing "THE BOSS" mouthpiece, I wanted powerful, rich, meaty, and thick sounding for those who blow dark, and a brighter, powerful piece with lots of cut available for
those who blow bright. I did NOT want a powerful piece that was thin, brash, and small chambered that puts body, depth of sound, and tone 2nd to volume.

When Brian Powell heard "THE BOSS" he said, "That's the MANLIEST sounding tenor piece I've ever heard�Now THAT'S what a tenor should sound like!"

THE GREAT NEWS IS THAT ALL 3 MOUTHPIECES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
THEY EACH STAND PROUDLY ON THEIR OWN AND FIT BEAUTIFULLY INTO THE 3-CATEGORY SYSTEM PROGRESSION I'VE SET UP.

SOUND, FEEL, BALANCE, AND DESIGN are in the forefront for me.

10MFAN� MOUTHPIECE SPECIFICS
AND INFO:

BEAKS:
I feel these have the most comfortable beak design of any hard rubber mouthpieces EVER made. These are full-sized hard rubber tenor mouthpieces. We experimented with beak angles of varying degrees (between 16 and 21 degrees), different widths, and overall shapes. The beaks are super comfortable for me whether I take in a little mouthpiece, a medium amount of mouthpiece, or a lot of mouthpiece. My upper lip does not get crushed against the beak curve when I take in a lot of mouthpiece. The sides of my beaks are wider and rounder for comfort, and the beak is long and very comfortable. These beaks have a very unique vertical line design on top of them. (You don�t feel it when you�re playing because our teeth don�t move sideways on the mouthpiece). Great detail has gone into making these beaks just right.
TABLES:
ALL OF THE TABLES ARE LONGER THAN THE REED ON MY 10MFANTM MOUTHPIECES. This was done so that you can easily line a reed up and see that it�s perfectly aligned top to bottom and side to side. Also, the ENTIRE reed can vibrate on the table and be held down by the ligature. Dexter Gordon used to keep the ligature far back. I bet he would have loved to have tried my mouthpieces with the ligature all the way on the butt end of the reed. The tables on my mouthpieces are the perfect width, flat, and very reed friendly. Great detail has gone into these pieces to make sure that the tables match the reed contour precisely. Please make sure when you put your reed on, that the tip of the reed matches up with the tip rail of your mouthpiece, and that the bottom of the reed is perfectly centered on the table. The longer table is the only way to go for me. It makes perfect sense. The table is where the whole reed lies�- If you�re a 6 foot tall person, would sleeping on a 4 foot long bed be optimal for you???
LIGATURES:
I have heard the numerous complaints about many modern hard rubber tenor mouthpieces having ligature issues. People are complaining that many modern mouthpieces are a little too small to fit regular tenor ligatures properly so a lot of people have had to resort to buying expensive modern ligatures to accommodate this.
WHO SIGNED UP FOR THAT???
My mouthpieces are made from scratch, so Ive made sure that the bodies and tapers are just right to fit an abundance of ordinary ligatures. My mouthpieces are precision machined for accuracy and designed to be VERY LIGATURE FRIENDLY. I am not including a ligature with my mouthpieces because I feel strongly that players have ligatures they prefer to use, and I dont want you to judge my mouthpieces with any ligature I could include. For me, ligatures make a big difference, so use what you find works best for your needs, and be sure to try many different ligs so you can get the perfect set-up for yourself. Many modern ligs fit my mpc�s well, but just a heads up�the Vandoren Optimum ligs are a little tight on my mouthpieces. In terms of modern ligs many people are enjoying the Ishimori ligs that they mark to fit �Selmer�, Oleg ligs, Marc Jean 700 model, and Francois Louis ligatures with my mouthpieces. As I said�an abundance of regular ligs fit my mpcs very well. I am a big fan of regular, cheapo 2-screw ligatures!!!!�-they work great on my mouthpieces!

FACING CURVES:
Eric Falcon and I have addressed facing curves aggressively. We tried everything from super short lengths to super long lengths and various curve rates. We are using Eric Falcons set of facing curves that provide more minute control over the curve rate. We use many more measurement points than a standard 5 point system. I am looking for great accuracy among all my mouthpieces. These mouthpieces are INCREDIBLY EFFICIENT!
TIP RAIL:
The tip rails are very finely handcrafted for accuracy of articulation and attack. These are all thin and accurate. I want fast and clean response from my mouthpieces.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU LINE THE TOP OF YOUR REED UP TO THE TIP OF THE MOUTHPIECE.
FRONT RAIL:
The height of the front rail has been perfectly calibrated for precise attacks.
CHAMBERS:
I tried medium, medium-large, and large chambers when prototyping my hard rubber tenor mouthpieces. I bought a large supply of hard rubber so I could try everything with my mouthpieces till I got it right. Chambers are of the greatest importance. All of my 10MFANTM tenor mouthpieces have a medium-large chamber. Some people don�t want a chamber so large that the sound doesn�t center, and others don�t want a chamber too small that they cant manipulate the timbre. The classic medium large chamber has proven itself to be the perfect size for my hard rubber tenor mouthpieces. All 3 chamber and baffle configurations are different on my 3 models to provide you with the desired goal with each mouthpiece model.
CONSISTENCY:
The wonderful thing about these mouthpieces is that they are super consistent from one piece to the next. Eric and I both play test EVERY SINGLE MOUTHPIECE I sell so I know they will be perfect when bought. I�ve laid out a table full of 7*�s, and I can�t notice any discernible difference in sound or feel between them. Eric Falcon has done a magnificent job at making every piece consistent from one to the next. This is great news if a friend of yours tries your 7* and wants one for themselves �- they can have the confidence that when they receive their 7*, it will play just like yours. It�s also great news and truly a relief to know that if you drop or lose your mouthpiece and wonder if you�ll ever get another one as good as that one---the answer is YES YOU WILL! These pieces are cut by CNC machine and precision machined for complete accuracy.
BAFFLES:
All of my 10MFANTM tenor mouthpieces have flat baffles. Flat baffles dont mean high baffles. Flat baffles just mean that the baffles are flat and you can see the entire baffle including the bottom edge, instead of hiding that line into the floor. After making and play testing what seems like an endless amount of my prototypes with endless baffle configurations, I�ve determined the best response and control for me comes from a flat baffle. There is no impedance to overcome like you would in a roll-over baffle. My 3 different models have different height and length baffles which provides a high degree of control and accuracy. The length and angle of the baffle provides different sonic character that will suit an individual players style or preference. On The BOSS model, which is the higher baffle model, we believe that leaving texture on the baffle is more desirable than polishing it because of the way the air interacts with the textured surface. You can see the hand finishing marks there for a reason. The textures of the baffles have been optimized to enhance the intended performance of the mouthpieces. My Merlot and Robusto models have polished baffles because that optimized their performance. You can still see the hand finishing marks there.
All the important details have been addressed thoroughly. Nothing has been left out in terms of making these mouthpieces play fantastic.

REEDS:
PAY ATTENTION HERE PLEASE!!!!
I seem to be the only guy talking about the importance of reeds, and how they can color your sound and effect the response of the mouthpiece dramatically. COLOR YOUR SOUND WARMER OR BRIGHTER WITH THE CORRECT REED CHOICES FOR YOURSELF. YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE MY PIECES THIS WAY SO THAT THEY HAVE THE SOUND COLOR YOU WANT. My designs are so unique, that reed selection allows you the opportunity to completely customize the sound color you desire from my mouthpieces! Please read on about this�.it�s crucial for you to understand reeds in order to get the most out of your mouthpiece. Reed choice makes all the difference with my mouthpieces. Pick the right reeds that give you the response and color you want from your mouthpiece. It�s more than just getting the right size reed for yourself. You can totally customize your sound to YOUR particular needs, with the proper reed choices. We don�t need 20 mouthpieces to cover 20 different shades of darker and brighter. I also feel strongly that people need to stop running to their mouthpiece refacer when they want their mouthpiece slightly darker/brighter. WHAT REALLY NEEDS TO HAPPEN WITH MY 10MFANTM MOUTHPIECES IS THAT PLAYERS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH REEDS!!!
THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT TO A GREAT SOUND THAN THE RIGHT REED! That means finding the right cut, brand, and size reed to give you the right response and desired color palette you desire! Don�t be against trying certain brands and cuts of reeds on my mouthpieces even if you have hated them on other mouthpieces.
BE OPEN MINDED PLEASE. Countless players are finding that certain brands they never liked before, sound GREAT on my mouthpieces.
Don;t be afraid to try a slightly harder reed with my mouthpieces too, because they are so incredibly efficient.

Vintage mouthpieces and the other modern mouthpieces I�ve played don�t offer much of a variety in tonal colors even with reed changes. MY MOUTHPIECES DO, and you need to be aware of this and have fun �fine-tuning� what you want to get from my mouthpieces. This is a new concept, and I have discovered many people don�t know what to do with it. Let me explain�.
Reed choice and ligature choice can really take care of brighter/darker variances on my mouthpieces to a FAR greater extent than many people realize. Try different strengths of reeds, different brands and cuts, and try different ligatures. You�ll be amazed at how easy it is to alter your sound brighter/darker by a very large degree, based on reeds and ligatures alone. My facings are so efficient, that even if you play a 2 1/2 reed on your 8 tip rubber mouthpiece, you may find that a 3 reed works fantastic on mine. (You may enjoy a 2 1/2 still but you need to be open to all the sizes, cuts, and brands out there). With all the reed companies out there, it�s like a great big buffet�so go have some fun with reeds again! Reeds serve a far great importance now than just finding the correct size for your mouthpiece!!! They will COLOR your sound differently too. If you play Rico Jazz Select reeds (as a reference) and love my first piece which is my warm, full sounding piece called the �MERLOT�, and want it even warmer or darker for yourself try it with La Voz, Vandoren blue box, Alexander, Hahn synthetic darker cut reeds, or Hemke reeds. If you love the mouthpiece but want it brighter than it is with your Rico reed, than try Rigotti, Marca, Vandoren V16, ZZs, Gonzalez, Queen, or my favorite�Hahn brighter cut synthetic reeds, and you will hear the differences RIGHT AWAY. I personally love the Hahn synthetic reeds and I use those on tenor and alto with GREAT joy. They are the BEST synthetic reed out there, in my opinion. They make a brighter and a darker reed for those who want the choice, and I have been using them since they began selling reeds. There are alot of excellent cane reeds out there too.

THE SAXOPHONE REED COMPARISON CHARTS ON THE INTERNET ARE A FANTASTIC RESOURCE FOR GETTING YOU ZONED IN ON YOUR CORRECT SIZE. IF YOU FIND YOUR MOUTHPIECE A LITTLE WARMER THAN YOU WANTED, THAN GO TO BRIGHTER CUT REEDS AND VISA VERSA. THERES ALOT OF TWEAKING AND CUSTOMIZING YOU CAN DO WITH REEDS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS. IF YOU PLAY A SELMER MARK VI AND YOUR ROBUSTO MOUTHPIECE IS PERFECT FOR YOU WITH A RICO ROYAL REED, BUT ITS TOO DARK SOUNDING ON YOUR MARTIN WITH THAT SAME REED SET-UP��JUST CHANGE TO RIGOTTI, GONZALES, OR V16 REEDS AND YOU�LL GET MORE POP ON YOUR MARTIN.
ITS ALL ABOUT FINE-TUNING WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE FROM YOUR SOUND!
What I recommend is:
1. Find the perfect size reed for yourself.
2. Go to the reed comparison charts on the internet and see which other brands are perfectly matched for your size preference.
3. Try out different reed brands to give you the brightness or warmth, and response that you want.
CONTACT ME, AND I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. Just tell me what you�ve tried for reeds on the mouthpiece and if you are looking for warmer or brighter than that reed gives you. I am here to help, and happy to do it. Its easy for me to help you zone in on what you are looking for as I am very familiar with which reeds are warmer, more neutral, or brighter.

SO MANY REED CHOICES TO HELP YOU GET THE COLORS YOU WANT FROM YOUR MOUTHPIECES.
Don�t look at reeds as being a nuisance�look at it the opposite way, and realize that reeds are there to help you color your sound YOUR WAY. Lots of choices so you need to find what works best for you and your individual needs. You need to experiment with different cuts to see what best fits your mouthpiece and sound concept for you. YOU JUST NEED TO EXPERIMENT AND FIND WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU. Many experienced players can change a lot of the brightness/darkness thing by altering the way they blow their airstream, but simply getting to know reeds will make a HUGE difference for you and offer you far more opportunities with sound colors.
THE ONLY REEDS I DO NOT CARE FOR AT ALL ON MY MOUTHPIECES ARE THE VANDOREN JAVAS. EVERYTHING ELSE PLAYS WELL FOR ME.
I offer 3 hard rubber tenor mouthpieces that do an amazing job covering what I think ANY player could ever need in any playing situation. You won�t see me coming out with a new flavor of mouthpiece every 6 months! I�ve done it right the first time, and I will let these 3 pieces speak for themselves. These 3 pieces will have longevity forever. I will be releasing my 3 metal tenors shortly�

TIP SIZES:
My mouthpieces will be available in many tip openings, because players want and NEED a choice. I don�t make one size tip opening so that you are forced to play that size even if it doesn�t fit you. I make many tip sizes so you can play the correct size for YOU, not what�s easiest for the mouthpiece maker.
I offer my models in more sizes than anyone out there.
Here are the sizes available for each model:
Merlot����4*-12*
Robusto���-4*-12*
The Boss���7*-10* (It plays best in this range. The higher tips from 11 on don�t work as well with this design).

My tip sizes are standard so there isn�t any confusion:
4* = .0755 = .0805* = .0856 = .0906* = .0957 = .1007* = .1058 = .1108* = .1159 = .1209* = .12510 = .13010* = .13511 = .14011* = .14512 = .15012* = .155

ENDORSERS: A humble approach.
I do not want or need to have �endorsers� for my 10MFANTM mouthpieces like you see on other saxophone mouthpiece websites. I can�t begin to tell you how many of those �endorsers� don�t even play or like the mouthpieces they �endorse�. Don�t buy mouthpieces because your favorite player plays on one. Many of the heavyweights have their mouthpieces refaced and tweaked over and over and over again, to get it to be just what they want. That doesn�t mean it�s going to be what YOU want from a mouthpiece. The heavyweights who play my mouthpieces are playing the EXACT stock mouthpieces that everyone is buying, and loving them as-is without any extra adjustments. It�s all in the designs! I personally despise BS marketing. Pro�s will play my 10MFANTM mouthpieces because they WANT TO, because it gives them the best sound for themselves��just like YOU. THAT�S ALL THAT MATTERS. That�s why you should buy my mouthpieces and that�s the MOST HONEST ENDORSEMENTS ONE CAN HAVE! My website shows you videos of GREAT players playing my 10MFANTM mouthpieces so you can hear for yourselves how these sound and hear how flexible they are. These videos are solely to EDUCATE you and help you with your mouthpiece choice. I want you to buy my mouthpieces because they will play as great for YOU as they do for the guys in my videos! I personally asked great players to make videos for me to help educate my buyers about my mouthpieces. I did not tell them what to play. I gave everyone their own space to do whatever they wanted. These are great players who will show you the flexibility in sound within each of my 3 mouthpieces. I want you to buy my mouthpieces because you can hear the rich, complex core sound and flexibility in each piece in the videos/audios. For me personally, I find it disingenuous to show a panel of players who are listed as �endorsers� if many of whom don�t even play, record, or gig on the mouthpieces at all�so I won�t do that.
I�m not including any bios or faces on my website to over-hype my products. The players sounds in the audios and videos will tell you what you need to know!
My promise to you:
1. I will never have an endorsers page
2. I won�t shove a video camera in front of any players face until they say they endorse my mouthpieces
3. I won�t pay anyone to play on my mouthpieces. You have my promise on all of this.

Several heavyweight pros have already thanked me for this, and have expressed to me that this is an EXTREMELY refreshing approach for them. Watch the videos and listen to the audios, and then decide what piece/pieces you want for yourself. I�m taking an �OLD SCHOOL� approach here by letting my MOUTHPIECES do ALL the talking. Check out the videos and audio section�new ones will be added all the time.
THE FUN FACTOR:
For almost a year now, I haven�t been able put down my 10MFANTM mouthpieces because they are just so much fun for me to play. All 3 are voiced just right, and they have met all my goals in each of the 3 categories. There is no �learning period� to figure these mouthpieces out. They are incredibly reed friendly, and just a joy for me to play. The altissimo are as easy as can be to get out cleanly. When mouthpieces are designed this well, the �fun factor� is alive and vibrant. These simply make me happy when I play them. I am practicing much more these days, since I made these mouthpieces. I can�t help you play Cherokee at 300 BPM in all 12 keys, but I CAN make sure that the frustration you will endure WILL NOT come from your mouthpiece.
DELIVERY TIME AND SHIPPING:
I am having Eric Falcon make me mouthpieces on a weekly basis so you won�t have to worry about waiting long for your 10MFANTM mouthpieces when you order them. I had an enormous amount of inventory already made prior to my announcing the mouthpiece line, in preparation for all the orders. At this moment in time, it takes only about 14 days for your hand finished hard rubber mouthpiece to be completed, and then I will send the mouthpiece out to you. The metals will be a 1 month wait before I ship them. I will update you with the tracking numbers and I use USPS only. USPS Priority mail in the U.S., and and USPS Express mail outside the U.S. ALL buyers outside the United States are responsible for any taxes or fees they get charged by their country. I will NOT undervalue the mouthpieces on the customs forms.
MOUTHPIECE CASE:
I am using these unique hard cases for my mouthpieces. Small enough to keep in your sax case or use it to take on vacation when you want to leave your sax at home and just bring your mouthpiece with you. These cases are very useful, durable, practical, and well-protected with foam on the top and bottom. You can fit 2 of my 10MFANTM mouthpieces nice and snug in each case.
HOW DO MY MOUTHPIECES MATCH UP WITH DIFFERENT SAXOPHONES:
Very favorably. I have tried my mouthpieces on various modern saxophones, as well as vintage Selmer, King, Buescher, Conn, SML, Couf, and Martin saxophones. They don�t have any issues matching up well with any of these horns.
RETURN POLICY:
UPDATED 2016: Due to the large volume of orders, we do not take any returns from non-dealers, and this is explained below.
I want everyone who orders my 10MFAN<sup>TM</sup>*mouthpieces to know that they are getting BRAND NEW mouthpieces handcrafted from 100% pure hard rubber bar stock and metal, expertly hand finished, and made at the absolute highest quality. I don't accept returns because I would literally need 1000 mpc's here to send out to everyone who wants to try these who has a credit card. I would get mpcs returned that might have ligatures scratches or other issues, and would then not be able to sell them as new. Instead of offering a return with a high restocking fee as many others do, I have decided its best to sell them as is at the fantastic price I offer them at, and if the buyer doesn't love the piece, they can sell them for typically more than they would have lost with a returned high restocking fee. For me, it's an easier and cleaner way to do business as everything is cut and dry and simple. I have weighed the option of a high restocking fee against accepting no returns, and the no return policy makes more sense for me. I see that Klum, Macsax, Navarro and others do it this way for good reason. I sincerely hope you all understand that. I believe in TOP QUALITY mouthpieces and that�s what I will deliver.

FOLLOW YOUR JOURNEY, YOUR WAY:
For me, my mouthpieces are the absolute best playing hard rubber tenor mouthpieces available in each of the 3 categories I have set up��I SAY THIS WITH THE UTMOST PRIDE. I wouldn�t be releasing them if I felt any different. The beauty about all of our journeys is that they are truly our own. There are other mouthpieces available in the marketplace that play well, and if you personally enjoy someone else�s pieces, then you should be playing those. I WANT TO MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR�-THERE ISNT A MOUTHPIECE ON THE PLANET THAT EVERYONE WILL AGREE ON AS BEING �THE BEST�. We are all different and we like different sounds and feels. You need to find what works �best� for you. THAT�S ALL THAT MATTERS. If you want to try ORIGINAL designs that truly nail my 3 categories, then give mine a try.
THE JOURNEY IS YOUR OWN AND ONLY YOU MAKE YOUR CHOICES.
For me, my personal journey for finding the best hard rubber tenor mouthpieces for myself became very frustrating because nothing in the marketplace was truly 100% satisfying for me, and no perfectly refaced vintage mouthpiece accommodated ALL my needs because of the same old design limitations. So I designed and made what I consider to be the best playing hard rubber tenor mouthpieces made in each of my 3 categories, to finally end my personal search. A incredible amount of time went into designs and prototyping until I was 100% satisfied.

I have been the biggest vintage mouthpiece dealer in the world for a very long time, and I have NEVER seen the buzz that is going around the saxophone community like I have for my 10MFANTM mouthpieces. The marketplace is INCREDIBLY energized by my mouthpieces AND my prices.
I�m glad I could help so many players find their sound!!!

PRICE:

The last important factor is addressing the PRICE issue with mouthpieces.
I am taking the most expensive route in making these hard rubber pieces. Pure 100% hard rubber bar stock direct from Germany, carved out by CNC machine, then hand finished by Eric Falcon. I am using the most costly production method and one of the best refacers in the entire world to help create my mouthpieces. With the help of Eric Falcon, we prototyped over and over and over again until I finally got EXACTLY what I was looking for. It was great to bounce everything off him, as he is a world-class mouthpiece maker/refacer and a great saxophone player. An enormous amount of computer time and a very hands on approach, with incredible attention to detail, has gone into these mouthpieces!

IN SPITE OF ALL OF THIS;
After years of selling the most high end vintage mouthpieces, It�s my turn to give back and offer to you what I STRONGLY consider to be the finest hard rubber tenor sax mouthpieces EVER available�and at a great price.

I am charging only $385 per mouthpiece plus shipping which is truly an unheard of price in today�s marketplace for ORIGINAL pure bar stock/hand finished mouthpieces. This is to enable more saxophone players to be able to buy a world-class 10MFAN� MOUTHPIECE without having to sell everything they own to afford one. It�s the price of a couple nice gigs.
THESE ARE MOUTHPIECES THAT WILL LAST YOU A LIFETIME, AT A VERY AFFORDABLE PRICE.
If you have the mindset and believe that higher priced mouthpieces play better because they cost more��THIS WILL BE A GREAT LEARNING LESSON FOR YOU!
I have the option to charge WHATEVER price I want for my mouthpieces. If mouthpiece prices were TRULY based on how great they played, then I believe without any reservation that mine would be the most expensive on the market.

The reality is that I would rather sell more mouthpieces at a great price, so more of you can FINALLY get off the mouthpiece merry-go-round!
I�ve watched it for 30 years�lets put an end to it together!
I have been the biggest vintage mouthpiece dealer on the net for as long as I can remember, and have the reputation for selling the best vintage mouthpieces. I am not using that experience and reputation to pad the price on my 10MFAN� mouthpieces��-just the opposite! I am coming at this from an honest, straight forward approach of selling what I STRONGLY consider to be the finest playing hard rubber tenor mouthpieces EVER made, for a very affordable price. I am well aware that I could charge $600+ per mouthpiece and get it, but I am not going that route. If you take any mouthpiece and price it at $385 or $600�-that mouthpiece does not play BETTER at $600 than it does at $385! A mouthpiece doesn�t play ANY different at EITHER price.

The ONLY thing that changes from me charging $385 or $600 is my profit�.. and I am willing to take that loss so that more players can get into what I firmly believe to be the best hard rubber tenor saxophone mouthpieces I have ever played.
I think it�s about time that new, original designs at a GREAT price launch the saxophone mouthpiece world in an exciting and VERY refreshing direction. I want everyone to play these pieces because they are what I say they are for me, and I want others to find that out too. Pick the right category mouthpiece and proper reed brand, cut, and strength for yourself ���and have FUN!!!
I have heard your complaints about high priced vintage and modern mouthpieces for years, and I am so thrilled to be doing something about it with my own line of 10MFAN� mouthpieces.
I think it's about time that new, original designs at a GREAT price launch the saxophone mouthpiece world in an exciting and VERY refreshing direction.
This price will remain like this for at least half a year until I am ready to sell to dealers, and then at that point the price may be raised slightly to accommodate having to discount so much for dealers so that more of you have the opportunity to try these out at your local music stores.
Right now I will be selling only directly to players and not stores. I want everyone to play these pieces because they are THAT incredible. The price from now till then will be $385. My metal mouthpieces will be released around the spring of 2014�stay tuned!!!
I have heard your complaints about high priced vintage and modern mouthpieces for years, and I am doing something about it with my own line of 10MFAN� mouthpieces.

SHIPPING INFO:
Once your mouthpiece order is ready to ship, I will provide you with the tracking number.
ALL buyers outside the United States are responsible for any taxes or fees they get charged by their country. I will not undervalue the mouthpieces on the customs forms.

Lastly:
My mouthpieces have been field tested by countless players for months and months. Every single player who has come to my home who plays on hard rubber, is switching from their
mouthpiece to one of my 3 models�.EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Many of these players were playing on expensive modern "boutique mouthpieces" and others on expensive vintage mouthpieces.

I wasn't going to put my 10mfan� logo on any mouthpiece if I didn't feel I succeeded in making the very best hard rubber tenor mouthpieces out there for myself.
My mouthpieces have also been sent to players all around the world for feedback prior to their release, and the response has been simply fantastic.

I CAN TELL YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART-----
I WILL NEVER PLAY ON ANY VINTAGE MOUTHPIECE EVER AGAIN BECAUSE MY 10MFAN� MOUTHPIECES SIMPLY OUTPLAY THEM FOR ME��.IN ALL 3 OF MY CATEGORIES!

THANK YOU to all my friends here at SOTW for all your support over the last decade here, and a very special thank you to Harri for bringing us all together with his great website!

I KNOW THIS IS THE LONGEST POST IN SOTW HISTORY (LOL), ---BUT I'M ONLY MAKING THESE PIECES AND THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ONCE.
I WANTED IT DONE MY WAY. I HOPE THE PASSION FOR WHAT I DO SHOULD BE EVIDENT.

I HOPE YOU NOW HAVE A CLEAR AND COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF WHERE I'M COMING FROM WITH MY HARD RUBBER TENOR MOUTHPIECES.

IF YOU DON'T, BARNES AND NOBLE IS MAKING A CLIFF NOTES VERSION SOON... (IT'S ONLY 32 PAGES, I HEAR) LOL

I'M HAPPY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND HELP YOU WITH YOUR MOUTHPIECE CHOICES.
EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT:

[email protected]

Please visit my website, where you can also place orders directly and hear wonderful audios of players playing on my mouthpieces.

www.10mfan.com

All the very best,
Mark
10MFAN

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts
Re: 10MFAN pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces--------FINALLY!!!!!

I'm helping Mark out by posting some pictures of the 3 mouthpieces for him. I actually have the 3 mouthpieces on my desk right now and will be working on a review over the next week or two. I've been playing the Boss over the last few days and it seriously cranks! Volume and power but with a very fat and full sound. I love it. I'll post more later.............

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Re: 10MFAN pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces--------FINALLY!!!!!

Mark - Congratulations and best of luck with this venture!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,556 Posts

Just when I thought my quest was over!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm helping Mark out by posting some pictures of the 3 mouthpieces for him. I actually have the 3 mouthpieces on my desk right now and will be working on a review over the next week or two. I've been playing the Boss over the last few days and it seriously cranks! Volume and power but with a very fat and full sound. I love it. I'll post more later.............
Beautiful looking mouthpieces. How about pics of the "business side" of each piece?

·
Registered
848 Posts

SO happy for Mark, if anyone has the insight to mouthpieces it is him. He deserves all the best!

·
276 Posts

Hi Mark,
you made it really happen.
Now you are on air!
I wish you all the best
for that mpc line.

Let's stay in contact my friend
Patrick

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,978 Posts

Beautiful looking mouthpieces. How about pics of the "business side" of each piece?
That's up to Mark. These are the pictures he sent me.............

I think what Mark wrote above about the 3 categories above is great......... I will say that I do think "The Boss" 8* mouthpiece I have is one of the loudest if not loudest piece I have played. It rips! A bunch of people have been emailing me looking for a killer hard rubber tenor mouthpiece for funk or rock music. This piece will kill for that. It's sorta in that RPC115B, Lamberson DD family but I think even louder than those. It has a very big, full thick sound. I think a Guardala played next to this would almost sound anemic..........My only fear with reviewing this mouthpiece is that the power of this mouthpiece will make my mic explode..........

I love the Robusto also but haven't played it too much yet. It reminds me a a great Freddie Gregory Mark IV I use to have. I loved that piece but ended up selling it and always regretted it. The Robusto is similar to that sound wise and plays amazingly. I mention these other pieces just to give a frame of reference. Mark's pieces are there own thing and have a very unique response and resistance to them. I haven't spent much time on the Merlot yet. Just played it once. Played great and had a darker warmer sound but with more power when pushed. I'll have more on that one when I play it some more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,270 Posts

Congrats Mark. You've certainly put in a lot of thought into what makes a great mouthpiece. Looking forward to blowing one soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,225 Posts

I have one of the Merlot. Best mouthpiece I've ever played. Period.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,587 Posts

Whew, Mark - that's a lot of words. And I read every one of them because it is good information!

I enjoy your perspective of the 3-category system. It works. When I started reading your post, I was thinking "Man, this is too many words for people like Booker Fan..." :twisted: But, like any good story, I commit to reading enough to see whether it's going anywhere. I was also wondering just how the heck you were going to break the news in such a way that people could figure out where to start. You nailed it.

Thank you for what you bring to the community.

Best o' luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts

Wow! Congrats on your venture, and expect an order soon... if not sooner. Now - how 'bout one for Alto? :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts

I am very happy for you Mark. You're a mensch, and may your dreams come true!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,225 Posts

I should say that I was one of those people that came over to Mark's house and tried the different iterations out. These mouthpieces (I've played them all in several different iterations) are not recreations of vintage pieces. I’ve played tons of slants, Freddie Gregory’s, Lambersons, Wanne, Dukoff, Gale, Zimberoff, Brilhardt and just about anything else you can think of. The thing is about these pieces, and I can’t emphasize this enough, is that they can be dark but loud. They can be bright but not shrill, they are full but they don’t lack the high and low partials. I’ve never played anything at all like itI have had my Merlot for about three weeks now and I can say without equivocation or hesitation that it is the best mouthpiece I’ve ever played. Ever.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

Mark, congrats on the pieces. The Boss sounds tempting, but I'm afraid of the other boss (Mrs. SBAalto). SOTW may bankrupt me after all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,000 Posts

Passaround? :mrgreen:

·
5,463 Posts

Waaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiit just a 'gol durn second! You're telling me these are ready to go???? NOW???? What about the 2 year hype-up of product announcement, development and THEN delivery?????

I'm sooooooooooo confuuuuuuuuuused!!??

It just ain't right I'm a telling you! Somebody needs to skool Mark on the product marketing life-cycle he just blew to smithereens!

Sheeeeeeesssssssshhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh!!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,226 Posts

It's sorta in that RPC115B, Lamberson DD family but I think even louder than those. It has a very big, full thick sound..
Steve, some day you have to try an RPC 120B... Different beast than the 115B.

But man, it sounds like Mark has got some great mpcs coming on the market.

1 - 20 of 2229 Posts