Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! I am getting ready to start looking for a new mouthpiece and was wondering if i could have some help. Currently I play on a HR Otto Link 6*. It has served me as a great piece for almost two years now. I play red box 3 java's with it with a Vandoren Optimum Lig. The problem I have with it is that it is very stuffy sound and not very free-blowing, but I like the range of volume I have with it, though it could be a little louder. So basically what I want out of the new mouthpiece is:

1. More blowing ease
2. A not so "stuffy" sound
3. A bigger sound which I can still control
4. A little louder sound.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Phil-tone

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Phil Engleman will reface it to your desires for a really good price. Check www.phil-tone.com for his rates. If you REALLY want to get away from a Link, try a hard rubber Vandoren V16 T6. Mine is VERY good for an off the shelf piece, and great for a crap-jazzer like me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
Phil Engleman will reface it to your desires for a really good price. Check www.phil-tone.com for his rates. If you REALLY want to get away from a Link, try a hard rubber Vandoren V16 T6. Mine is VERY good for an off the shelf piece, and great for a crap-jazzer like me.
I agree with all of this (although I used a T7 instead of a T6).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
First off try using slightly softer reeds like a Vandoren Java 2 1/2 or Rico Jazz Select 2H.

The softer reed alone might help tremendously with # 1, 3, 4, & possibly even 2.

If that doesn't work, you might need to look into to getting that mpc refaced.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I'd just send the mpc to a good refacer with the same information you just gave us. If the mpc is a bit stuffy, a few scrapes here and there by a competent refacer can take care of that. You might want to go ahead and have it opened up a bit to a 7 or 7*. No need to get into a mpc search if a few modifications can give you what you want - unless GAS is setting in. :twisted:

In which case, I'd personally go for a Link STM or Ponzol M1 7 or 7*.
(p.s. Regarding the Phil Tones, they get good press here. It's just that I've never played one, so can't recommend for, or against, one.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts