Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a yamaha 62 tenor and 4c mouthpiece and 3 orange box. I had complete control of the horn from low b flat to high F#.

I had to give the horn back and so I got a new reference 36 tenor and metal link 7. The sound is better but I can't play the palm keys with the same reeds.

The notes come out thin, sharp, and horrible if I have to hold them past one beat.

Any tips to get used to this new set up? I know if I just keep at it - in 6 months to a year the notes will be better. But just curious if anyone has advice other than just keep playing long tones.

thank you

·
Registered
Selmer Series III Alto
91 Posts
You should play around with your reeds a bit. That is a huge tip opening jump from a 4C. You might want to try something softer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,987 Posts
A Rico 3 may be a lil' stiff on the Link 7 (.100" tip compared to 0.067" for Yamaha 4C). Go down to at least a 2 1/2, but if you've been off tenor for a while, a 2 might be plenty. The caveat with a softer reed is that it is easier to bite.

Be also aware of how much mouthpiece you are taking in because of the difference in beak thickness and taper.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
495 Posts
Also, with a medium/large chamber piece like the Link, the palm key notes will come out sounding thin/brittle if you don't properly support your airstream.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all- 8 appreciate it. Some great advice. I played alto for thr last 3years exclusively and was getting a full profesional level sound throughout the horn and could play to altissimo B (never tried to go higher) I used a meyer 6. With respect to going to a softer reed, my inclination was to get a stiffer reed. I did put in order for a few boxes 2.5s and two 3s.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been doing hours if matching overtones the last few days. I feel like there are ‘slots’ of air columns in your throat that produce the different overtones. For some reason these ‘slots’ seem more profound and noticeable on my metal link 7 tenor- as opposed to the hr meyer 6 i use on alto. So after about 6 or 7 hours of doing matching overtones on tenor, I started to zone in on the air column for the palm keys that makes the noted rounder, more, full, and more in tune. Great feeling and makes me think that overtone practice is the most important thing you can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts