Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just want to say a few things about the new Morgan EMLL tenor piece:
(I have no connection whatsoever to any mouthpiece or equipment maker)

I just received the Morgan 8EMLL. I put a new #2 Alexander Superial reed with a gold alto BG Super Revelation ligature and put it on my freshly overhauled 1957 King Super 20

I don’t want to ‘gush’ or over-do it, but after years of searching and buying/selling mouthpieces: I can finally stop looking. (I hope I don’t get withdrawals)

The difference THIS TIME is simple. It’s je ne sais quoi. This one has it.

Performs flawlessly with a #2 Superial reed
Superior articulation and ease of play.
Perfect intonation
excellent in the palm keys
NO stuffy D
Very versatile tonally
Great, easy altissimo and subtoning
Beautiful rich, ringing colors and overtones

I just can't believe it. I just got done playing Stormy Weather with it on my 1957 Super 20 and I'm still in shock at how perfect this piece is - and will be.

The "Holy Grail" of sax mouthpieces does exist. Now I have a dozen mouthpieces to sell.....

tschüss!

1923 Conn New Wonder Series I nickel
1935 Conn 10M
1951 Buescher Aristocrat
1957 King Super 20

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have an EL on tenor and feel pretty much the same way. These are world-beater mouthpieces, and have not suffered at all since Ralph's passing. The jazz models are good but you have to try an excalibur if you haven't and see what we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Steve,
Junk Dude has them described as "New Model Summer 2010 and the closest model to a vintage Otto Link Florida Slant Signature which has been produced by the Morgan Company. Large round chamber with more baffle than the L Chamber Model. More edge than the Large chamber but still darker than the ML Chamber"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
What does EMLL stand for?
It should be at first a E mouthpiece, also an Excalibur HR.
The ML speaks for medium large chamber model and is the newest Morgan model that the "Mouthpiece guys".
MLL has a slightly more bigger chamber than the ML and is between the ML and the L (Large chamber) model.

I got my 7M back from Erik Greiffenhagen. Thx Erik.
Erik turned the 7M on a 8MLL, also .105 opening with a special chamber , even the MLL , Medium.large.large Chamber.
I am waiting now for the adjustment of my Aristocrate Tenor for which I ordered the 8MLL.

Will report later but I can see the MPC already , it must be good.

·
6,862 Posts
Cool! Dave doesn't have any pics up yet...can we see yours?

·
1,404 Posts
Now I'm confused because I always thought my 8EL had more baffle than a Florida Link (STM or TE) and a chamber that is larger than a vintage TE and closer to an STM.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Now I'm confused because I always thought my 8EL had more baffle than a Florida Link (STM or TE) and a chamber that is larger than a vintage TE and closer to an STM.
The large chamber of my 7EL is more oval shaped width wise, than round.

... curious as well, as to which has more baffle, EL or EMLL?

I remember reading awhile back, a distinguished member or two,
thought that the EL, most resembled/sounded similar to, a Fl Link.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What does EMLL stand for?
hi steve,
this is the mpc you reviewed that tore hage sent you to try. it's all kind of confusing the designations and i should probably try to come up with something more clear. but basically; e for excalibur, m for medium chamber casting or core, ml for handcut chamber in between medium and large chamber, and mll for full large chamber cut from medium chamber core. the primary difference between a regular L or el model is the shape of the chamber and the amount of baffle. on our regular large chamber core the shape is somewhat oval and the baffle is relatively low as a result of the core shape. on ml or mll i'm able to shape a more round chamber like an eb or fla. link. plus there is much more roll over baffle to work with in the original shape of the core. the interiors of these mpcs are all the same whether excalibur or standard/jazz size. i hope this clears things up at least a little. cheers, erik

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
hi steve,
this is the mpc you reviewed that tore hage sent you to try. it's all kind of confusing the designations and i should probably try to come up with something more clear. but basically; e for excalibur, m for medium chamber casting or core, ml for handcut chamber in between medium and large chamber, and mll for full large chamber cut from medium chamber core. the primary difference between a regular L or el model is the shape of the chamber and the amount of baffle. on our regular large chamber core the shape is somewhat oval and the baffle is relatively low as a result of the core shape. on ml or mll i'm able to shape a more round chamber like an eb or fla. link. plus there is much more roll over baffle to work with in the original shape of the core. the interiors of these mpcs are all the same whether excalibur or standard/jazz size. i hope this clears things up at least a little. cheers, erik
Thanks Erik. I know I tried the MLL but I wasn't sure how the E fit in. I do think that was my favorite of all the Morgan pieces I have tried.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have to admit being partly responsible for the confusing naming of the MLL piece. I first bought a ML http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/02/morgan-ml-8-tenor-mouthpiece/ but my gut feeling told me that my 1936 Aristocrat needed a slightly bigger chamber to bloom, so I gave Erik the challenge to open up the chamber and proposed the name MLL, which gave an easy update of the marking on the piece and it resulted in the best piece I've ever put on a tenor http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/04/morgan-mll-8-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/ . I've even bought a second 8*MLL back up piece, I could not stand the thought of anything happening to the first one.

( an added benefit is that my STM Florida USA with original 7* facing and original lig is coming up for sale soon )

·
1,594 Posts
I have to admit being partly responsible for the confusing naming of the MLL piece
yes, you were the guy.
I wrote to Erik asking for work on my old Buescher HR piece to use on my Aristocrate and he told me of you and how happy you were with the "creation" so I sent him the piece expecting the same results as you.

Well. My "Crate" will be finished soon whereas my Chu Berry tenor is in exile for almost 1 year by MartinMods. I just got (arrived for 10 minutes) some parts from China:shock: to adapt on my Aristocrate . I can´t wait to blow the horn with the Morgan.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can anyone tell how different it is from the Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend? It seems to similar in concept, i.e. a large chamber with medium-low baffle.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,882 Posts

Some comments on the piece?

Thx Erik
I'll start - where's the metal shank ring?

I'll say the same thing I said when the ML models came out - that they were splitting hairs between the M and L. Then I tried one on tenor and really liked it (not as crazy about the alto version though). Maybe the same will happen (eventually) with the EMLL.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Can anyone tell how different it is from the Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend? It seems to similar in concept, i.e. a large chamber with medium-low baffle.
I can compare the House with a Morgan ML and EL.
Other than the obvious, that the EL has a large oval chamber and the ML a med/large one:

The House has a long rollover baffle and is about 2 cm. wider at the tip than both Morgans.
The ML is approx 4 cm and the EL 2 cm longer than the House.
The outer profile of the Morgans have a slimmer circumference and they are somewhat longer.
The House has the typical larger hr profile.

Looking at conn h's pics, the internal chamber dimensions look similar, as the House has a large round chamber,
but the House has, as I have said, a long rollover baffle, the Morgan has a smaller one.
The House' baffle may also be a bit higher too, but that's a guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts