Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Why must we all imitate Selmer? I don't get the trend for 1 screw mechanisms.

I personally love my Masters two screw on my V16 T6, perfect fit and good way to hold the reed. This explains why they are on clearance at SaxQuest...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Anything new about it now?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Why must we all imitate Selmer? I don't get the trend for 1 screw mechanisms.

I personally love my Masters two screw on my V16 T6, perfect fit and good way to hold the reed. This explains why they are on clearance at SaxQuest...
I personally like one screw designs, it makes it less of a hassle to tighten.

·
1,596 Posts
I like two screw designs because they allow a better fit for various mouthpieces with differing exterior profiles.
It's understandable, I like the one screws because they're less of a hassle to deal with when it's dark and most of the one screws doesn't scratch the mouthpiece and put gouges on my reeds. I know it's a small thing but I don't like the idea of deep gouges on my pieces and reeds.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's understandable, I like the one screws because they're less of a hassle to deal with when it's dark and most of the one screws doesn't scratch the mouthpiece and put gouges on my reeds. I know it's a small thing but I don't like the idea of deep gouges on my pieces and reeds.
My Selmer has never gouged reeds however, it has scratched mouthpieces. I just found the newer Selmers don't allow as good a fit and the lig tended to actually slip off, even on Selmer's own mouthpieces! That's the reason I abandoned the FL ligs.

I hope that the new M/O does fix the reed-marking problem of my older Masters lig. Maybe I'm just slightly over-tightening...

·
1,596 Posts
My Selmer has never gouged reeds however, it has scratched mouthpieces. I just found the newer Selmers don't allow as good a fit and the lig tended to actually slip off, even on Selmer's own mouthpieces! That's the reason I abandoned the FL ligs.

I hope that the new M/O does fix the reed-marking problem of my older Masters lig. Maybe I'm just slightly over-tightening...
I think the gouging mainly has to do with over tightening, but the marks start becoming extremely noticeable after a week or two of using the reed.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have a set of these on trial. They give a somewhat different sound to the Optimum. They have slightly, but only very slightly, thicker bands than the Masters. They are very fast to fix, which in it's self is a major plus for me on a gig. I like them, they are a very good lig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
does it stay in place on the mouthpiece if you need to adjust the mouthpiece?

i love my bay, and i really like its lightness, but if i move the mouthpiece the lig goes all over the place.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've been working with them today, selecting and tweaking reeds and they do seem to be very stable on the mouthpiece - I have been using Vandoren pieces mind you and my corks are quite worn. I particularly like that the MO don't seem to compress the reeds too hard; I find the Optimum soprano lig will actually make the reed dig into the table if I tighten it too hard, something that I find happens rather too easily.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have a set of these on trial. They give a somewhat different sound to the Optimum. They have slightly, but only very slightly, thicker bands than the Masters. They are very fast to fix, which in it's self is a major plus for me on a gig. I like them, they are a very good lig.
I stripped the screw threads on my alto and clarinet Masters. With the M/O there''s only one screw to strip. Does anyone know what M/O stands for?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts