·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll add this as well. They are releasing new 62III and 82ZII horns with somewhat new features. Pads with metal resonators on the Z, new low B-C# connection for better seal, V1 neck, and new engraving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Nice! I might like to try a sterling neck...just because.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestely, out of the three custom models they are going to provide, one of them is probably a G1 or G3 with another name. I don't know about the third. They have a chart that explains the differences between the three when you look at a certain neck's specs.

·
Registered
245 Posts
well silver is kind of cheapy at the time being. Get one just for investment reasons (who cares for the sound anyway :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys, I had the opportunity to try all three of the new neck offerings from Yamaha for tenor on Saturday at the Region IV NASA Convention at TCU in Fort Worth, TX. I tried them on one of my good friend's old 875 tenor. I have to say that I think all three of the necks are an improvement on the older versions (M and G Series Necks). I loved the feel of the V1 neck and felt it gave the horn a drastic response and sound improvement. The website claims this neck has a bigger bore and more spread tone. I'm not sure if that's how I felt about it, I felt that is still had some great focus to the sound in certain areas of the horn, especially in the palm keys and into the altissimo range. I also never felt the neck was extremely bright at all. If anything, I felt the E1 neck added some brightness and punch/edge to the horn. The C1 definitely was the darkest neck and had a little more resistance built it, but I wouldn't call it resistant (just a little more than the others). It still responded very well like the other two necks. Me and my buddy agreed that the overtones of the horn didn't speak as well with the C1 neck. I'll let you be the judge of that though because I know equipment is different for everyone. The Yamaha rep told me that they should be releasing these necks in May or June of this year. By the way, the three necks I tried were the Sterling Silver versions (what some people consider solid silver with Selmer necks I believe). The rep said these would run around the $1,000 range. I'm not sure how much different the other finishes will be, but I know the lacquered version will run you around $400 new, so not much more that what they are selling the G1 and G3 for currently. I'm sure that the lacquered or any other version of the necks will feel and sound basically the same. I hope this clears up some questions people had about Yamaha's new product.

Here's a chart from Yamaha's website again that shows what the feel each neck delivers. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ax/necks/tv1ag/?mode=model#page=2&mode=paging

I have to say that I do disagree with the chart saying the C1 is more geared towards beginners. All of these necks bring great professional quality in sound and feel. I'm sure "beginners" could use it just fine, but like I said before, this neck provided the most resistance for me. Plus I don't think there are many beginner necks that run for a grand folks. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to say one thing, I think I remember the rep telling me that the E1 is a slight improvement on older G3 necks. So they are supposedly very close in feel, response, and sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,495 Posts
Have you ever checked to see if your Serie III neck fits the Yamaha 875? If so, it might be interesting to compare in this mix.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually haven't tried that before Dr. G. I'm sure it would be interesting. I'm not giving up my horn any time soon, if ever. I just wanted to let the people who are intrigued by these new offerings have a little info on someone that has tried them. I might have to try that sometime though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
First of all thank you for the review! Which of the new necks gave the most open and free-blowing sound? I have an 82Z and want to try new necks but it's a little bit of a challenge based on the way Yamaha describes the different series. I do like my alto V1 neck on a purple logo YAS-62 that is my standard gigging alto.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want the most open and free blowing neck, you definitely want a V1. It was by and large my favorite of the three. It reminded me a lot of how my series iii plays and feels. Free blowing response wise anyway. Let me know if you have any more questions. I think a lot of people will switch to the V1's once they play on them. I felt that they were that much better than the old necks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
377 Posts
If you want the most open and free blowing neck, you definitely want a V1. It was by and large my favorite of the three. It reminded me a lot of how my series iii plays and feels. Free blowing response wise anyway. Let me know if you have any more questions. I think a lot of people will switch to the V1's once they play on them. I felt that they were that much better than the old necks.
Twarner, thanks for the review. Music and Arts is hosting a big Yamaha and Vandoren rep show out my way. I'm hoping they have the new 82ZII just so I can try the V1 neck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Twarner, thanks for the review. Music and Arts is hosting a big Yamaha and Vandoren rep show out my way. I'm hoping they have the new 82ZII just so I can try the V1 neck.
and what is your way?
there s a music and arts in Dallas, that I could go to try some. is that the place?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They seem to only have the V1 neck at the moment though. Not sure when the C or E series necks will release.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Honestely, out of the three custom models they are going to provide, one of them is probably a G1 or G3 with another name. I don't know about the third. They have a chart that explains the differences between the three when you look at a certain neck's specs.
I asked Yamaha about them a few days ago, and here's what the CS person said:
The V1 is most similar in size to the old G1 neck, but has a different shape for increased tonal flexibility.
The new E1 neck is most similar in size to the G3 neck, but has a different shape that offers greater evenness throughout the entire range of the horn.
The new C1 neck is quite unlike any other Custom neck we have provided before. It is designed to provide a compact, focused sound and extremely accurate intonation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are these new Yamaha tenor necks E1, C1 and V1 suitable for YTS-62 II which has now G1 neck? I mean, do they fit to IIs neck receiver and octave mechanism?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts