Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received in US after only two weeks from order, the new hard rubber design which replaces Phil's Babbitt-Meyer reworks.

Mine is a 6 = .076". It seals well to reed, is easy to blow, and finish is as outstanding as one expects from Phil's reputation and experience. I'm using Java Red 2.5 with a Selmer Paris modern single-screw ligature.

This MP sounds just incredible with my (new to me) Ref 54 alto.

Default is bold and brassy but very versatile—also sensitive and sweet, or breathy subtle. Good control of timbre at different dynamics.

Round sweet brassy is what I had trouble with on old horn and MP. Now that it comes so easily, I have attention and energy for other stuff as advancing nube! To say nothing of more time practicing and less looking around for gear. I've tried around five of the top Meyer-influenced pieces; Le Son nails it--the only one I've kept.

Really happy with Le Son. Value of a reliable great sound is priceless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,509 Posts
Thanks for the review. Im glad you are enjoying the Le Son

A number of players who already had the Custom Meyer have found they prefer the Le Son.

...some apologized but I told them it was supposed to be better!

thanks again
Phil

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I also had the chance to check these out and to compare them to the custom meyer. Way better than the custom meyer and very versatile. Nice fast articulation and good flexibility regarding sound. Better than most of the Meyers i had in my hand and tried (and that have been many). I really did like it very much but i already play a Solstice and an Intrepid on Alto, so i did not want to add another mpc to the list. But i really only can recommend to try these.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am very happy with my Le Son. Nice complexity to the tone. I find many Meyer insprired new pieces to be too bright. This is perfect. I told Phil I would take his Goldilocks version (not too bright, not too dark) and he delivered!

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Le Son is my main piece now, it plays really easily and has a nice sweet, round but still edgy sound when needed. I guess the point is that it's extremely versatile...

I tried several other similar mouthpieces but this is the one that felt just right!

I'm using V16 2.5 and get a fantastic sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,509 Posts
thanks Malteoff,

there are a lot of guys trading in their current Meyer copies from multiples makers for the Le Son.

Its got everything a great old Meyer has and a little extra something special.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just got a couple of these in from Phil - a 6 and a 7. They're both good, but I'm really digging the 7. As others have said, not too bright as so many Meyer-inspired pieces these days, but I could definitely push it and get a more "Phil Woods" vibe, or even a more rock/pop sound. What a great piece Phil!

Here's a quick video I made today on the 7:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am increasingly convinced that all sax players should be given a grant of $50,000 per year so we can collect all the mouthpieces and horns and supplies we want— well all creative people really .. Musicians scientists photographers artists engineers mathematicians everybody I don’t want to be greedy

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I am increasingly convinced that all sax players should be given a grant of $50,000 per year so we can collect all the mouthpieces and horns and supplies we want— well all creative people really .. Musicians scientists photographers artists engineers mathematicians everybody I don’t want to be greedy
Yeah - it's pretty criminal that we don't get that. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts