Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to a BAM representative the other day over email, who said the new plastic latches for the cabine are much more resistant. Do you guys find this to be true? Also, were the metal latches a similar problem on the high-tech?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I spoke to a BAM representative the other day over email, who said the new plastic latches for the cabine are much more resistant. Do you guys find this to be true? Also, were the metal latches a similar problem on the high-tech?
I'm not really sure what you're asking, but when a latch on one of my cases gives out, I usually go to the hardware store, buy a draw latch, and pop rivet it to the case. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've owned a couple cases with the old design over the years, and I've had cases with the new design for a couple years now. the new latches are a great improvement but still can unlatch if the button is pushed in at the right angle. it's just harder to hit it at this angle in normal use, while that wasn't the case with the old latches.

the best latches I've ever seen are the ones used by Manning Cases, which require a double action: lift while pushing the button.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I checked out the new BAM latches the other day in store and compared to the previous design. I would definitely say that the design is improved.

The latches are beefier, and it does take a little more work and effort to pop open the latches. I also read about the stickiness on the previous latches, and the new ones are made from heavy duty plastic.

I think it's finally time to make a purchase.

Guto - I think you're talking about comparing the previous two generation latches and not the new latches that came out recently. I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure these new latches just came out within the last 2-4 months.

·
Registered
573 Posts
To my eyes the new plastic latches look like a bad joke.
Very easy to open and i think if the case falls down the horn will be out of its case.
Also they look they will last only a weekend in real life.
I informed Bam about them who said it was an improvement from the ones before. Sure....
What were they using before, paper?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Guto - I think you're talking about comparing the previous two generation latches and not the new latches that came out recently. I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure these new latches just came out within the last 2-4 months.
I was referring to this design that came out around early last year. I've got 2 recent Cabine cases with them. I'm not aware of yet another recent design.

View attachment 213104

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was referring to this design that came out around early last year. I've got 2 recent Cabine cases with them. I'm not aware of yet another recent design.

View attachment 213104
Guto, you are correct. I did not realize these new latches have been out this long because I have just started to hear about them this summer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Llareggub, do you currently own a cabine case with the new latches? Have you seen the latches in person? I personally don't think the case would pop open as easily as you mentioned. The buttons for the latches to open do not protrude from any part of contact to the floor if the case did fall. There are 3 latches at different angles after all.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Not for long.
I got one, i got a big horrific chill down my spine by looking at them, and it went straight back to where it came from.
No way i could trust my horn in there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I checked out the new BAM latches the other day in store and compared to the previous design. I would definitely say that the design is improved.

The latches are beefier, and it does take a little more work and effort to pop open the latches. I also read about the stickiness on the previous latches, and the new ones are made from heavy duty plastic.

I think it's finally time to make a purchase.

What do you mean by heavy duty plastic?
All the parts are very thin and the mechanism looks and feels very flimsy.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If only there was something comparable to the latches Walt Johnson used! Although, I think Boston Sax Shop is working on something.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If only there was something comparable to the latches Walt Johnson used! Although, I think Boston Sax Shop is working on something.
the WJ latches are readily available, commonly used on Anvil cases. it's the manufacturer's choice whether to use them or not.

as I said above, the Manning Cases latches are really the best IMO. you have to push the latch button with one finger while lifting the lever with another. no way they ever open by accident.

I also don't understand why while redesigning a at least 20 years old latch, BAM did not go all the way and made it really fool proof.

·
Registered
573 Posts
the WJ latches are readily available, commonly used on Anvil cases. it's the manufacturer's choice whether to use them or not.

as I said above, the Manning Cases latches are really the best IMO. you have to push the latch button with one finger while lifting the lever with another. no way they ever open by accident.

I also don't understand why while redesigning a at least 20 years old latch, BAM did not go all the way and made it really fool proof.
It is because the golden boys with the profit numbers who decide, not the engineers, the end up with latches
only fit for the Barbie summer holiday suitcase, not a real saxophone case that needs to protect a 5 or 10 grand horn.
It is a disgrace and a big insult to the customers !

·
Registered
573 Posts
Guto, you are correct. I did not realize these new latches have been out this long because I have just started to hear about them this summer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Llareggub, do you currently own a cabine case with the new latches? Have you seen the latches in person? I personally don't think the case would pop open as easily as you mentioned. The buttons for the latches to open do not protrude from any part of contact to the floor if the case did fall. There are 3 latches at different angles after all.
In my brief experience the smallest faintest touch to the buttons will make the latches pop open. On impact to the floor the forces are so big the buttons dont need to be pressed for the latches to open.
That is why Manning uses those latches and according to them:
"Special Stainless steel latches. No other manufacturer uses a latch of this quality on their case. Each latch contains a spring that applies 30 lbs of pressure once closed. The latches can withstand tremendous impact without opening"

View attachment 213118

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?163469-BAM-HI-Tech-Bari-case-latch-is-broken!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
In my life I have never opened a case latch by accident.
What is wrong with everyone that they can’t manage to handle a simple Sax case without it opening unexpectantly.
The case and or latches are not the problem in this scenario.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts