Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resistance was useless - a '64 397xxx Silversonic tenor knocked on my door, I let it in, and now it's got a new home with me and the rest of the tenors in the team - I really do have too many now, but how can something so bad for the bank balance still feel so good? Blows creamy-smooth on a 90/1 fat body Larsen, but more like a Tyrannosaurus on heat with a 130/2. I don't know why it's taken me 50 years to discover King S20 saxes... is this just because they're usually invisible behind the glare of the Selmer halo, too rare or just too expensive?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If u cant be with the one u love love the one your with ... i too have a SUPER 20 tenor even if its a humble non silver ... and its sounds great

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Resistance was useless - a '64 397xxx Silversonic tenor knocked on my door, I let it in, and now it's got a new home with me and the rest of the tenors in the team - I really do have too many now, but how can something so bad for the bank balance still feel so good? Blows creamy-smooth on a 90/1 fat body Larsen, but more like a Tyrannosaurus on heat with a 130/2. I don't know why it's taken me 50 years to discover King S20 saxes... is this just because they're usually invisible behind the glare of the Selmer halo, too rare or just too expensive?
Congratulations and snap! :) I also just got a silversonic tenor very close to yours in serial number (394xxx). Fantastic instrument. A coincidence that two silversonics should show up at the same time in the UK.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the congrats, pix will follow tomorrow. Grumps, interesting comment re middle D, I have noticed a little wavering between octaves on that note, fixed by slight embouchure adaptation; is this a known feature/bug?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,665 Posts
Grumps, interesting comment re middle D, I have noticed a little wavering between octaves on that note, fixed by slight embouchure adaptation; is this a known feature/bug?
You have to make sure the octave mechanism is well oiled, but also have to keep an eye on the body octave pad sticking to the pip. Since I swapped that body octave pad out in favor of a cork pad, the problem was gone for good. Before that, I'd have to oil the mechanism and clean the tone hole pip before every gig to keep it from sticking.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yes, I see, I've been conned(!) into buying a really naff horn, OMG what shall I do, sell it to the nice man who just knocked on the door and offered to swap it for 5 magic bean-seeds? Well, maybe not this week...

Thanks for the tip about the octave mech, I have my dollar bill and sewing machine oil ready to use. Have had the same issue on my 69 10m, but have tended to use the palm key instead to avoid the problem if playing a fast passage across middle D - will try the dollar fix on that too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,665 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the octave mech, I have my dollar bill and sewing machine oil ready to use. Have had the same issue on my 69 10m, but have tended to use the palm key instead to avoid the problem if playing a fast passage across middle D - will try the dollar fix on that too.
Oiling and a dollar bill will work on the fly, but if you notice your body octave pad sticking, simply swap it out with a cork pad and you'll never have the issue again. I waited years before applying this fix to my Silversonic tenor and regret every day I wasted in not addressing it sooner.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Silversonics are killer. I have not had the middle D issue. The only issue I have is that low C# is out of tune. Luckily this is not one of the more played notes so I do not care that much. I feel Super 20s are the best of both worlds, they have reasonably friendly key work and still have that huge, free blowing, vintage American feel. Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,152 Posts
Oiling and a dollar bill will work on the fly, but if you notice your body octave pad sticking, simply swap it out with a cork pad and you'll never have the issue again. I waited years before applying this fix to my Silversonic tenor and regret every day I wasted in not addressing it sooner.
I think Grumps in on to something here as the problem seems to be almost universal - I had the same problem with my S20 tenor and a tech eventually resolved it with a roo pad on the side pip... Recently I bought another (S20 tenor). It came with new pads, and a single roo pad on the side pip.

I also have an Alto S20 - it had a cork pad already installed there when I got it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, I have the Silversonic pix taken and ready to upload, but how to do it is a mystery - can someone please advise?

Doh! I have just seen the French prompt for "Go to advance mode" - that's where it is - I'll hack my way thru now...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the pix I took today of my recently purchased 397xxx Silversonic. It's certainly not immaculate but neither is it battered! Came complete with neck protector sleeve and case key. MPC is a Berg 90/1 fat-body.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,906 Posts
Silver bells, silver bells...

Love 'em!

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
355 Posts
Here's the pix I took today of my recently purchased 397xxx Silversonic. It's certainly not immaculate but neither is it battered! Came complete with neck protector sleeve and case key. MPC is a Berg 90/1 fat-body.
That is sweet, and the case looks great too.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
355 Posts
That is sweet, and the case looks great too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Outstanding! I have given up some bad habits recently and this takes its place I suppose...hahhaa..Bought 2 Tenors, a 57 Cleveland in July and a 53 Zephyr Last week. Seems like the next logical progression... :) My Kings sound great!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts