Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just exchanged a jazz lab sax holder strap for the new Jupiter gig strap which works really well for tenor but not for alto. You can not get it high enough for the alto. If anybody has a suggestion on how to get it high enough for Alto that would be appreciated. other than I find this strap very comfortable, but not practical because it cant be used for alto. I called Jupiter and they were little or no help. All they said is it works for both and they tested it. I will never buy another Jupiter product in the future, because they were not helpful and very mis informed on there own product.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The way to adjust a strap that's too long would be to fold up some of the material between the slider and the hook, and then staple it together or otherwise fasten it securely. The last thing you want is a horn that abruptly falls down six inches while you're playing it.

Unless this was a pretty expensive strap, working well on only one horn is not the end of the world. I have several straps that fall into that category -- the perfect length for one horn, but a compromised fit, or no fit at all, for a different-size horn. I just keep them in the appropriate cases. I am glad that my Cebulla strap works perfectly on alto and also well on tenor, because that strap was pricey. But it's your call whether your investment here was so high that the product's limitations are a major drawback, even if it's OK in some applications.

No company can promise that a strap of a particular size will be usable on different horns by every customer. People are different heights. The best they can (should) promise is that a strap is potentially usable on both alto and tenor, depending on the player, and maybe on the strap ring position too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bro im only 5'9" tall to me this is false advertising and also this strap didnt even come with a manual so thats pretty weak in my opinion. Luckily for me the store I bought it at has a 30 day exchange policy, but like i said Jupiter i will nevver waste my money on another one of there products, because of there customer service.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If this is the strap in question, are you saying that you move the slider all the way up so it touches the leather straps and that's still too long? Or are you saying you can't move the slider up that far? I think to make moving the slider a little easier, you could pull the string from the looping part at the top of the strap until you get some slack there, then pull the bottom loops.

View attachment 238946

My favorite basic strap is still the good old Ray Hyman. Been using those as long as I can remember (40 years?).
https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/ray-hyman-super-sling-neck-strap-copy/

If I've got a really heavy horn, I use a padded Protec. It's fine for the most part, but I periodically have to move the slider back up. Doesn't hold its place as well as the Ray Hyman, but doesn't cut into my neck as much.
https://www.barnettmusicexchange.co...-AltoTenor-Saxophone-Neck-Strap-x30309952.htm

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thats it. You cant get it high enough for an alto trust me ive tried everything, but like i said at least I can return it

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hmm... that's looks the same as the Jupiter you don't like. Is there a reason a traditional neck strap doesn't interest you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts