Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Jody Jazz HR* 6m for alto and the gap between the tip and the reed is huge and hard to play on. Is it supposed to be like that or should I go with smaller? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
:treble: Josh :treble:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes it is supposed to be that way, luckily 6 isn't too large and you should be able to adjust to it, maybe try a softer reed. How long have you been playing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I play a JJ HR*7 alto with Rico Select 2 softs.....I had to mess about with reeds a bit as I used to pla a meyer 5m with vandoren 3's or 3.5's.....I REALLY like the sound of the HR* with the softer reeds, I just had to try a bunch of different strengths to see what worked for me. BTW, I ordered a 5, 6, and 7 JJ HR* to demo and the 7 with the soft reeds is what I kept. Love it still.

·
Banned
593 Posts
i got an alto hr 6m about 2 weeks ago. i love the sound. part of the difference seems to be the opening stays wide longer up the mouthpiece than others i have.- a brilhardt a jupiter and a selmer c*. i also like rico select 2's best but i have been playing it with vandoren 3 to see if i can get accustomed to it. i think the brilhardt is about the same tip opening - i bought it in about 1980. i did notice the JJ hr fits on the cork better than the plasic pieces i have.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I play a Jody HR 7 and it's great but it's not very reedfriendly, you have to find the right reed to get the most out of it. I play Vandoren ZZ 2,5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been playing for 5 years and jazz for 3. My friend suggested LaVoz med.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts