Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I started a new blog called News from the Shed, which I thought members of this site might find interesting. It's Q&As with musicians specifically on how they practice. My latest post is an interview with tenor saxophonist JD Allen.

I'd be grateful if you check it out and let me know if you have any thoughts - critical or otherwise - about the series and how it might be improved. Thanks! - Jake

·
Registered
264 Posts
That was quite a read, I deeply enjoyed it. Lots of good stuff in there to think about. What he says about the blues is interesting - I am not a religious man, and have never been inside a Black church to hear the choir. So I am missing that experience. But I think I understand a small part of what he's trying to say. A lot of people see the blues as a progression or a scale or a particular note, but it's really a lot deeper than that.

Anyways, a great read and a lot to think about. Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
an interesting perspective for sure.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That's a terrific interview, maybe a lot has to do with JD Allen who is clear and generous with his responses. Probably the best description of someone's practice routine I've ever seen. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,531 Posts
He's a very thoughtful guy. I liked most of what he had to say.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I always enjoy hearing/reading interviews from professional musicians, regardless of whether I agree with their opinions or not. This was a pleasure to read, and I liked most of what he put out there. I often wish I had 8 hours a day to practice, but I know I would never spend 8 hours practicing. I just want the option!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,861 Posts
Saw JD playing in a '4tet with Cindy Blackman probably 20 years ago - great band -
and he sounded like he was dealing with mid 60's Wayne at that point .. which is
to say he was really playing some music !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts