Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have a new mouthpiece line that I am offering to SOTW members for passarounds. The concept for these mouthpieces has been in developmend for many months. The development of the material has been somewhat of a family affair. My brother and father (both phDs in chemistry / physics) have helped me to develop this material. The descriptions will follow here.
I have had the great fortune of working with so many great players over the past few years. Most recently, Dave Liebman, Gary Campbell, Tom Scott (who I met with at the NAMM show). These design concepts have been fine tuned and I am very pleased with the results.
The designs I am offering are intended to reflect the musical expressive needs of all saxophonists. So, please look over the models and let us know the models that interest you. We are very interested in your feedback and will work to make sure that the passarounds that follow are well organized and wait time is minimized.

I am also offering the same 7 day / money back, no restocking fee trial on these mouthpieces, so please order through the website if you would like get a model quickly. Here is the link Hybrid Drake Ceramic / Vintage Resin ™

As a result of my limited production capcity I have shifted my primary focus to this product line and our Custom Ceramic mpcs, so I will be discontinuing production of the Double Ring and Contemporary line ceramic pieces. This new line is so spectacular, I know you will be pleased.

Here is the info:
Introducing the Hybrid Drake Ceramic / Vintage Resin ™ Line

Our mouthpieces have become known throughout the world for their material / and design innovations. With this new line, we have maintained the amazing clarity of response, incredible intonation stability, and outstanding projection qualities of the ceramic with a new depth of tone.

The best of both worlds!

Each mouthpiece is hand faced by Aaron Drake, and is play tested and balanced to altissimo double F and above. Upon completion each is signed on the table (see pics) and marked with a serial number. These mouthpieces are handmade from strart to finish at our production facility in Plainfield, NJ.

This new line replaces the Double Ring Jazz and Contemporary models, and is currently available for Tenor (Jazz , Contemporary I, and Contemporary II), Alto (Jazz and Contemporary) and Soprano (Jazz), with Bari and Classical models on the way in the spring 2010.

All mouthpieces priced at $250.00

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds great! I would be interested in the passaround.
Thank you. I forgot to mentioned:

Please PM me the following details if you would like to be part of the passarounds:

1) Full Name
2) SOTW User Name
3) Home Tel / Cell
4) Mailing address
5) Top 1 or 2 Hybrid Drake Ceramic / Vintage Resin Mouthpiece models / tip openings you are most interested in.
6) Your current setup ( horn / mpc / reeds etc...)
7) Any info about your desired sound

All the best!
Aaron

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
PM Sent! Sweet!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Really looking forward to trying these. PM sent.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I got a chance to test both the alto and tenor Vintage Resin pieces as part of this passaround. I will say to start, these are wonderful pieces.

Look
Very nicely finished, the material is light but strong. The tenor piece is smaller than the average HR tenor piece, the alto is about the size of a standard Meyer. I like the copper colored band at the end, it adds a nice touch. Too bad the cool looking insignia at the top gets covered up with the ligature!

Manufacturing
Both pieces are very well made, the facings are even and the tables are flat. The rails are very thin (I like that) and the tip rail is also. The interior is smooth, finished all the way into the chamber, not rough like some other pieces. In other words a world class piece.

The only blemish is that there are some small bubbles or voids at places in the material, but they don't affect the performance in any way.

Sound
Tenor -
Very Link-like, which is not surprising given the construction of the piece
Alto -
Wonderful sound, full and bright with a nice core. Better than any Meyer I have played, but it is closest to the Meyer in sound. (My current mouthpiece is a Meyer with an improved facing and a small wedge baffle, that really just extends the rollover farther down into the chamber.)

Response, Intonation and Playability
Both pieces are smooth and free blowing, even response and intonation. I would not hesitate to gig with either one.

Conclusions
I am saving my pennies and will buy an alto piece, it's the best alto piece I have ever played. As for the tenor, it's not significantly better than my own piece (a refaced no-name Babbitt blank), but it's a fine player. It has a little tubbiness to the sound (similar to many Links), but it does play very well. It felt good while playing, but listening back to recordings I liked my own piece better (that could just be familiarity).

These are a home run for Aaron Drake, and worthy of consideration by players of any level.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
Good review skeller.

How is the passaround coming along Aaron?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts