Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have lost my vintage HR Links.
While looking to buy a new one I see there seems to be a lot of copies or replicas out there by other manufacturers .
My head is spinning at all the mouthpiece information here I’m hoping somebody can lead me to some reviews
( mpc vs mpc etc.)or even give some information that might not be available?

Besides the new Vintage made by Otto Link it looks like Theo Wayne,Chedeville and Jody (not to be confused with their vintage Mayer copy) make a copy of the classic HR Link .

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
My CLASSIC hr Mpc is a phenomenal choice for the Link hr livers, but is in NO WAY a copy of any Link or anything else. I don’t make copy pieces, or tweaked up versions of Links.

It’s got stuff that Link guys will love, but in an All ORIGINAL design.
The Classic has an oval chamber, baffle, floor height, throat squeeze, super scooped out side walls, beak, and extra long table to aid in reed alignment, are unlike ANY slant, reso, or EB Link.

Soundwise, it’s got warmth, evenness, and roundness in tone that Link guys will like, as that’s what I was going for....but it’s certainly not a copy piece, by any means.

My goal with this model, was to make a piece that the vintage Link players would enjoy without making a copy or tweaked up version of something already made.

That’s what The Classic is.

10mfan saxophone mouthpieces:
“Innovation over imitation”

·
Registered
105 Posts
You are working on Link copies though, through Falcon Woodwind right?

I love the Classic anyway, but I haven't played on a Link vintage to make a comparaison.

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
First of all, I’m glad you are loving the Classic!!!!
Its a really fun mouthpiece to play. Its a little warm for me, so I use my Showtime model. Others want that warmth, so its perfect for them.
It was the same with my Merlot mouthpiece. Great mpc, but a bit warm for my personal use full time. Thats why I have different categories to please everyone. :)

Secondly, you just aren’t separating my helping out Eric Falcon with his Falcon Woodwinds company, with shipping and marketing, and owning and operating my own company named 10mfan.

Erics company and my 10mfan company are two completely separate companies with two completely different objectives in mind.
With Eric, I work as Mark Sepinuck. My 10mfan company is owned by me, but again, has nothing at all to do with the Falcon Woodwinds project.

Eric’s company was formed to make the best copies of vintage mouthpieces possible, and my 10mfan company's formed to make the best original modern design mouthpieces possible. For me, helping Eric has been great so far, because there are a lot of mediocre copies out there that just don't play like the great pieces they are supposed to be copies of. So now I get to help see that what is produced with Erics company, is the real deal.

Two completely different companies with polar opposite goals. I love being a part of both.

As for being added to this list about Link copies... wrong information is wrong information.
Link players will love this piece, but it is certainly not a copy of anything.

None of my 10mfan mouthpieces have anything to do with vintage mouthpieces, and I am VERY proud of that.
I chose to do it my way and make original designs, and have never looked back. Its been almost 6 years now!!!

My company slogan is what it is for a reason:
"INNOVATION OVER IMITATION"

Anyway, enjoy your Classic mouthpiece, and I hope that makes everything clear for you.
All the best, Mark

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mark, please don't take offense at being included in that list. OP is looking to replace his old Link and I'm sure you'll want him to consider your mouthpiece.

I included the Classic because of these quotes in the review:
This will satisfy all of you players who love the classic large chamber hard rubber vintage tenor pieces, especially in the Link vein
An opportunity to have a piece that is more Link-like
I really love great Otto Links and this was reported to be a sax mouthpiece more along those lines
In my opinion, the 10mFan “The Classic” is a great tenor mouthpiece for those of you looking for a more “classic” mouthpiece along the lines of a vintage hard rubber Otto Link.
Of course the review does a nice job highlighting what sets yours apart, for example:
Although I use the Vintage Link as a comparison, I think the “Classic” has it’s own thing going on. I find it to have a focus to it that I don’t find in many darker and warmer Links I have tried. Usually, these vintage hard rubber Link mouthpieces play with a very “spread” tone for me. The 10mFan classic is much more focused in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
OK, I appreciate it.

The Link guys will dig the sound and feel, and it is definitely more in the Link vein than my other pieces I would say, but certainly nothing about the design comes from the Links. When I Proto type I never have a design in mind, I just have a sound in mind, so where we end up, we end up. The Classic is more focussed than a vintage link but the sound is big still, with a beautiful even tone top to bottom.

I understand what you’re saying now, so no worries. Thank you for the clarification.

I am overly passionate that I’ve stuck to my guns with original designs.
Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Drake mouthpieces in that regard, my Soprano Son of Slant is still in perfect condition, and I bought it second hand.

Sorry @10MFan, I didn't want to imply that your Classic was a Link copy! I was merely saying that for a "classic" sound and feel the classic was a perfect mouthpiece in that regard, but if OP wanted a Link copy you had 1:1 copies in preparations that might suits him as well.

Best!

PS: when are your Soprano mouthpiece coming? :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I think you could also possibly add the Morgan pieces in the mix.
Whether you’d call them copies or link type pieces I don’t know.
But like the Phil Tone and Drake pieces they play and you don’t have the facing issues of some Link pieces.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ted Klum has two great hard rubber link-like mouthpieces for tenor that you should definitely check out. How good does Mr Ellis sound on this comparison demo? Excellent demo and excellent mouthpieces.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Ted Klum has two great hard rubber link-like mouthpieces for tenor that you should definitely check out. How good does Mr Ellis sound on this comparison demo? Excellent demo and excellent mouthpieces.

What a difference in sound between the Florida and Tonamax! I think the Tonamax sounds better also. Seems richer and more complex while also having more presence and core.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts

Damn, he sounds amazing on them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts