Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super disappointed in a Hiscox Artist tenor case I just bought from the Woodwind and Brasswind for $515. I have had several Hiscox artist cases that went with several horns I sold, and really liked them. I bought this one knowing my old Walt Johnson is getting frail.

This one is entirely different. It doesn’t hold the horn snugly, with nearly an inch of space between the bow and the bottom of the case. Check out the pics of my case, followed by a pic of the artist case online, then the pic of the gap between bow and material. I can move the horn a good inch or so up and down with just a finger. What happened to these? The last few I had from a few years back were tanks and practically squeezed the horn.

Going to return this one and won’t be buying their product again. Can’t imagine how much damage would be caused just from carrying this thing around with that kind of bouncing. Now let’s hope the woodwind and brasswind doesn’t hose me on shipping.

View attachment 231868 View attachment 231870 View attachment 231872

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,122 Posts
The last few I had from a few years back were tanks and practically squeezed the horn.
That is what I have and not the flashy Artist version. Thanks for posting this. Good to know.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
It's not a custom case. Took me about fifteen minutes to make it cradle mine like it is though. Nothing at all wrong with the quality.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Agree with you Eric, way too much free space in that picture, allows momentum from movement inside the case. I use a Hiscox Pro for my alto and it’s snug, no movement; never used the tenor case but I’d send it back, too. Maybe the Artist has different internal dimensions to the Pro?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a Hiscox (not the artist model) and my 57 Mk 6 fits very snugly in it. I also got one for my Yas 62 alto which at first was a struggle to get to fit, but is a lovely fit now.Having said that, there is no arguing with the photo you attached.Maybe it got shipped from Hiscox missing a piece of padding...... bad day for the quality controller maybe..........

·
4,580 Posts
My Mark VI requires a cloth in the bow area of the case to fill the gap, same as what you're looking at. Once I do that it's snug, I don't worry about it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Eric,

Hiscox will send you 21/2" X 31/2" cushion sleeves with foam inserts for free and with free shipping, just go to their website and ask in a message.

I asked for six of them.
Mine are blue, like the liner of the PRO II case.
Perhaps they also have grey ones for the artist case.

You can stuff them with polyester, loose fill, upholstery material around the foam inserts, if need be, to make more substantial cushions
and slide them into the cushions' sleeve, to place in open areas around the horn for a snug fit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks so much for the great info on the cushion sleeves...I thought I'd just have to live with the gaps! Just sent them a message on their website. Will keep you posted on the response....

Chubarry

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
The old ones weren't like this and the trend has been headed this way. They will send you blue pad inserts, but why make such an expensive case that needs more padding??? Just make it snug with the padding in the first place.

Anyway. BAM Cabine La Defense all the way. Super snug and a great case. Doesn't have the same intense outer layer protection like the Hiscox, but it's still very protective on the outside layer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses. To clarify, for $500 yes, I expect it's going to fit like a glove. My VI fits snug as heck in a walt johnson, a BAM Cabine, a Winter case, a Protect, and a Manning that wasn't designed for this horn. This horn has ALSO fit snug as heck in two other Hiscox Artist cases. This one though is different and I can feel the horn moving up and down when I carry it by hand in the case just around the room, so I'll be sending it back. My interactions with Hiscox were really unhelpful, so I can't say I'd ever try one of their cases again. I'll make do with my WJ for now and look for a good condition used WJ in the meantime. I just posted this in case anybody here was thinking of getting a Hiscox and believed they would be certain to hold their horn snugly.

·
Registered
697 Posts
if you like your johnson case, you might check with brian at getasax, i think he said he's in negotiations to bring back the brand.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Or Jack with Boston Sax Shop is doing the finalization on his new case for tenor. The alto one looks like a really great case, highly suggest you check him out bostonsaxshop.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,122 Posts
Personally, I would just get a regular Hiscox instead. Most likely, there is a flaw with the thickness of the padding in the case you received. However, if the desire is WJ style, then Saxquest sells a ripoff of WJ case from PMauriat. I have no experience with the latter, but if the desire is a glass fiber case, then it doesn't look bad at all if the pics are representative.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
BAM Cabine La Defense all the way.
I’m also a big fan of BAM cases. Lost count of how many I own(ed), including 2 Cabines. Only caveat is I wouldn’t buy the La Defense SKU for alto for one reason: it only has 2 latches compared to the regular Cabine having 3.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I’m also a big fan of BAM cases. Lost count of how many I own, including 2 Cabines. Only caveat is I wouldn’t buy the La Defense SKU for alto for one reason: it only has 2 latches compared to the regular Cabine having 3.
Hmmm. I don't have the alto one, but I do have the tenor version and it has 4 instead of 3 which I liked.

But I do agree, BAM makes the best case now a days. I haven't found one better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts