Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was fiddling with my tenor sax and I discovered an easy high G that really works. You need a high F# key though.

THis is the fingering:

B key (the one under the front F)+ High F# key!!

Try it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
depending on intonation you might also add the side b flat key.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Saxophonous Bb said:
Hey, I was fiddling with my tenor sax and I discovered an easy high G that really works. You need a high F# key though.

THis is the fingering:

B key (the one under the front F)+ High F# key!!

Try it!!
The only high G I've ever used on tenor.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
This actually works on my horn without using the high F# key (my horn doesn't have one).
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Not on mine...

I normally use front F key, rh1, side Bb on alto.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
edhara said:
I use octave key, 1+3 (left hand), 1+3 (right hand) and the side Bb key for alto.
This one works, but sounds a little stuffy with my setup, and it tends to want to pop up to the C above it
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
4,147 Posts
hakukani said:
Not on mine...

I normally use front F key, rh1, side Bb on alto.

That is what I use. I think it is the "standard" fingering.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Martinman said:
That is what I use. I think it is the "standard" fingering.
I thought so. I lost my fingering chart long ago.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
littlewailer said:
weird thats my F#3 minus the Bb key. Its almost a combo of my G3 and F#3.
I think we're talking alto here. (We switched).

This fingering works on tenor, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
works on alto?

Yes, Ive used regular middle B fingering to reach altissimo G (middle C works too actually); theyre played as overtones though. I think it mentions it in the Rousseau High Tones book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
hakukani said:
This one works, but sounds a little stuffy with my setup, and it tends to want to pop up to the C above it
Huh... I don't think I've ever had that problem. But then, alto has always been my strong suit, and I have relatively few problems with those notes.

I HAD a set of fingerings that worked pretty well on my Couf tenor until I sold it and got a Mark VI a few months back. Now I'm finding that my altissimos on tenor are all screwed up. I HATE having to re-learn an entire set of alternate fingerings now that I've switched to a different horn. :mad:
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
edhara said:
Huh... I don't think I've ever had that problem. But then, alto has always been my strong suit, and I have relatively few problems with those notes.

I HAD a set of fingerings that worked pretty well on my Couf tenor until I sold it and got a Mark VI a few months back. Now I'm finding that my altissimos on tenor are all screwed up. I HATE having to re-learn an entire set of alternate fingerings now that I've switched to a different horn. :mad:
Naw, I think it's a different sound concept. I go for more of a Kenny Garrett sound. Yours is more Sanbornish. (Both, of course, are valid. Don't get me wrong).

Now that you have a MkVI tenor, you won't need another set of fingerings.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
As it turns out, high G is my problematic note on my Mark VI tenor. I use a Van Doren 99 hard rubber with Superial D.C. #3's. For high G, I use the front hi F key with the side Bb. Other altissimo notes are getting better and better but this G thing is a bear. I do not have a hi F# key.

Any tips?
Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top