Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must watch historical interview with great genius of the tenor saxophone, my friend and inspiration the late Carmen Leggio.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I just saw this on there the other day and I can't wait to watch it. I have had some recent gigs with a couple of guys who knew him and were telling some great stories about him.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for that. What a great player & person he was.
The drummer in my rehearsal group played a lot of club dates with him & has quite a few stories too.
I saw him in Birdland several times. Great post.
George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carmen never would've evolved into the player he was if he was like all the people on this forum continuously searching for some holy grail futzing around with reeds and mouthpieces.
He had his gold plated SML tenor, and his Selmer short shank soloist mouthpiece and that was it. He had a fantastic tone. Those SMLs are beasts for a lush colorful tone. Possibly the best sounding tenors ever. BUT........ I had one and gave up on it, because the 3rd register is beyond weird. Its basically unplayable, which was fine for an old school guy like Carmen who virtually never went above G3.

Love this quote: "I don't know much about horns and mouthpieces. A friend of mine got me to the right sax and set-up and I just stayed with it because it worked for me. A sax is like a pair of shoes. If you get a pair that are comfortable, you can learn how to do any kind of dance in them".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts