Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost an eBay sale this morning from a customer in Washington State. As of Jan 1, 2019, ebay will be collecting state taxes for anything shipped to the states of Washington and Minnesota. Other states will surely follow. My customer didn't want to pay the taxes, so he canceled the order. He doesn't realize yet that he will be charged taxes for anything he purchases from eBay from now on.

One of my eBay ids is junkdude-com. Most everything on my eBay store is also available on my website: junkdude.com. We charge shipping for most items on our eBay store...we do NOT charge US shipping for most items on our website. Ebay now charges taxes for multiple states. The junkdude website only collects taxes for Ohio residents. Do yourself a favor and save. Purchase direct from our website or give us a call.

This goes for others as well. Many of my colleagues and competitors have eBay stores as well as their own websites. Purchase direct from their websites and save.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,955 Posts
This is actually kinda good news, at least for us vintage instrument proprietors.....

As you do, 2ndending only charges tax on in-state sales.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
Thanks for the head’s up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I made an Ebay purchase on January 1 with no sales tax. Maybe the revenuers will show up at my door.

Mark

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I just bought something about a week ago and got taxed for the first time.

Is it possible to avoid paying state tax if you use an out-of-state shipping address?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
There is a slow but steady process of trying to level the playing field of online merchants and brick and mortar shops. Its driven more by amazon and the likes. Small vendors get caught in the middle. Of course in addition to trying to make a level playing field, state coffers are finding themselves running short. Its likely to get more complicated over time.

...having moved to France it does not matter much to me. I get to pay a lot of taxes but at least I know Im paying for something..i.e. Universal health care that does not ask me about pre-existing conditions.

However, that is a whole other matter for a political forum. But it does make me feel better about paying taxes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts