Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the new batch of Dukoffs coming out in that new grey plastic tubes instead of the old grey paper boxes.
Are these better than the overpriced Miami Florida on the shank ones?
How do they compare?
At one look the new ones appear to be made of a better material and the finishing looks cleaner.
Just wanna hear from the Dukoff experts here.
Also understand that somebody else has taken ownership of the factory and that these new generation of mpcs are better in terms of quality of finishing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm interested to know this too! If a good consistency, uneasily damaged Dukoff can be made, I may go for it.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Nick Hernandez has been the production manager for several years and is part owner. The last I heard, Bobby still had controlling ownership. The quality of the castings has been very good under Nick. The interior of the mouthpieces do not show any voids or pieces of slag from sloppy casting. The exterior is buffed to an impressive luster.

The facings are still hit and miss. Mostly miss. And the tip openings are often smaller than what the charts say. But I find this true for vintage Miami Dukoffs too. The Miami Dukoffs were made at the current factory that is located south of Miami. The "Miami" was dropped off the mouthpiece when Bobby was thinking of moving. But he never did.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mojo.
I'm still wondering why would someone pay $400 for a Miami vintage rather than $150 for a newer one....

Nick Hernandez has been the production manager for several years and is part owner. The last I heard, Bobby still had controlling ownership. The quality of the castings has been very good under Nick. The interior of the mouthpieces do not show any voids or pieces of slag from sloppy casting. The exterior is buffed to an impressive luster.

The facings are still hit and miss. Mostly miss. And the tip openings are often smaller than what the charts say. But I find this true for vintage Miami Dukoffs too. The Miami Dukoffs were made at the current factory that is located south of Miami. The "Miami" was dropped off the mouthpiece when Bobby was thinking of moving. But he never did.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer my own question... I've been told that the softer pewter-like material used for the Miami models are more resonant albeit being more easily probe to damages, being soft.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most older Dukoffs have a layer of gray oxidation on them that is harder than the original Silverite. It looks ugly but offers significant protection. Besides this layer, I have not noticed any difference in the Silverite hardness, or in the sound.
Interesting. If Nick Hernandez can produce a 'vintage-look' -finish on his new Dukoffs (ie. the oxidised look), coupled with the 'Miami Florida' stamped on the shank, we would have another mpc-maker come out with a 'New Vintage' line! Nick, if you are reading this, please credit me if these really come out......haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts