Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much to say, except this is a glorious performance from an amazing album, Standard Issue. If you're an alto player and you don't know Oatts's playing (aside from his fine big band work), shame on you! Your mother and I are VERY disappointed with you! (I'd rather not say much more about my relationship with your mother...)

Oatts uses a nice harmonic gambit here to play the tune in 2 keys; it's a trick I've heard Bill Evans use on Days Of Wine & Roses. I describe it in the blog -- check it out! And, as always, Oatts plays hip, beautiful lines that merit study and emulation.

It's here: HARDER BOP.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Nice one, I love his playing on that album. Dick's playing is as good as pretty much any of the great Jazz altos.

I really like tunes that move nicely up a minor 3rd for the 2nd section (usually when the tune is made of 2 sixteen bar sections). Dick does the same thing with 'Everything I love' on the Cole Porter album with Gary Dial (beautiful, that).

Thanks again,
Jamie

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to see your desert island list.
Wow, Greg, I'd have to ponder that... This would be there, that Sonny Rollins Aix-en-Provence boot from 1959 would be there, and maybe the Rich Perry Live at the Kitano thing. Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus ... hmm. Culling the herd would suck!

I really like tunes that move nicely up a minor 3rd for the 2nd section (usually when the tune is made of 2 sixteen bar sections).
I do too. There's something very optimistic and uplifting about that particular modulation, for some reason...

Thanks, Gents!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Any chance of some Rich Perry transcriptions???

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any chance of some Rich Perry transcriptions???
Totally! He's on my short list! How did you know that?!?

Anyone else notice that this recording is really sharp? I tried playing the transcription with it and it's like 25 cents sharp for me to be in tune.
It's been a while since I've played with this one -- this transcription is actually 4 or 5 years old -- you'd think I'd have absorbed its lessons by now, and be a better player! -- but I think you're right: I'm pretty sure that I used to play it with the Amazing Slow Downer lowering the pitch a notch...

I have no idea why that would be -- I suppose in '97, since it wasn't really a label doing the recording, but was the bass player or drummer, if memory serves, it might (?) have been done on tape, and something got funked up in translation to digital. (If Columbia could have screwed up Kind of Blue, then I guess something along those lines could have happened here?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts