Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I’m not 100% sure about this, but all of the guys that I know on the D’Addario project are Selmer guys. Nathan Nabb was the lead consultant on the alto one, and he’s a Selmer artist.
Fwiw, I saw a note from Nabb on the D'Addario Facebook page in which he states that he plays the D155 model.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Below is Dan Forshaw's very favorable video review of the Reserve. His initial reaction was the same as mine, which is that the Reserve is a serious rival to the Selmer Concept.

Dan provides a lot of playing samples. He appears to be testing at least two versions of the Reserve, one of which is explicitly described as the D150. I'm not sure about the other one -- maybe the D155? Keep in mind that the Reserve is not like the Selmer S80, where the different versions vary only in tip opening -- and even with the S80, people are generally careful to specify a particular facing, such as the C*. As pointed out by the OP here, the Reserve is more like the Vandoren Optimum, with three distinct models that have different playing characteristics.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Here's a comparison between a Reserve D155 and Selmer S90 180. No conclusions drawn, but lots of sound samples. http://steven-banks.com/new-blog/2018/4/8/what-do-you-think-selmer-s90-vs-daddario-d155

Btw, this guy, Steven Banks, is a wonderful baritone saxophonist too.

The D155 seems to be the Reserve model of choice at this early stage, judging from the reactions of the SOTW members in this thread and the other reviews I've seen.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Does anyone know if a soprano piece will be released anytime soon?
The tenor will be the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The tenor will be the next one.

Do you know if they've started work on it yet?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Do you know if they've started work on it yet?
There has been preliminary work done but no one is testing as far as I know. I *think* they may be going the route of a different consultant for each piece, so Nathan Nabb worked on the alto piece, but they may be using someone different on tenor. I can ask around...I haven’t inquired about this in a little while.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Review at "The Saxophonist": https://www.thesaxophonist.org/daddariomouthpieces.

Bottom line: The reviewer seems to agree with just about everyone else that the D145 is nice enough, but too restrictive. Between the D150 and the D155, he prefers the D150 because it's less resistant. No doubt this is partially a question of matching the piece to the horn; I believe he plays a Mark VI.

Demo of all three models:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
21 - 34 of 34 Posts