Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Fellas,

After a pretty significant hiatus from acquiring horns I found a deal too good to be true on eBay. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful 1936 6m (transitional?). It's absolutely a dream and the best saxophone i've ever played, really lucked out. I would estimate the original lacquer at 96% and the original case is in pretty good condition. Ever since i got my 10m almost a decade ago I've been eyeing a 6m to match.

I do have a question though. The horn is marked metro to the right of the 6m mark and also marked metro on the neck however the neck is an underslung, double socket neck with a micro tuner. I was under the impression that metro horns had overslung necks and no microtunners like the tenors have and national horns were underslung. My question is could this be an early viii horn or some kind of transitional model? I've tried looking online and have found nothing conclusive.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
Congratulations! I have a 1936 model and it just plays and sounds awesome. Mine was a relaq, so you have a nice bonus with your finish. My horn has serial number 272XXX, but is does not have a 6M marking on it. So I am wondering if your serial number is higher than mine?

I just noted in another thread that the serial number range associated with trannys varies from site to site. If there are some tranny experts out there, it would be nice to have a definition from them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 277xxx and honestly i wasn't expecting the sound i got out of it. It was a holy #$%@ moment for sure. I think every saxophonist should try a well playing conn at some point in their lives

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I agree about the sound. I previously owned a Buescher 400 417XXX made shortly after the Selmer buyout. I always thought that it sounded good, but the tone of the Conn blew it out of the water. And that was before the overhaul.

I also own a 10M, 1946, which plays great, but there seems to be something special about those early Conn altos.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
688 Posts
Congrats on finding yourself a great horn!

Shortly after I got my 257XXX 1933 Transitional, I sold my 53XXX SBA and YAS62. I'd finally found the sound I wanted and have been happy ever since.

Kenneth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts