Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since yesterday I am the proud owner of a restored (and relacquered), gold/silver 1935 26M!

I played this gogeous-looking horn for an hour or so in the studio room of a well-known saxophone store before deciding to buy it. The doubt mainly being caused by the slightly heavy operation of the low Bb and because it's difficult to intonate. But I figure I'll get used to that.

I love the way the horn plays and sounds - the key work is lighter and faster than that of my other Conns (NW I and II) and the high notes are incredibly easy to play. Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble in my bands because it is way easier to blow open and free than my other altos ;)

Yesterday evening, after playing was over, I took more time to look it over and discovered that a whole rod is missing from the lower part of the body! I took a picture from Saxpics to indicate which one it is:

I can't figure out what this rod is supposed to do. All notes are there! Is it just a kind of support brace?

What should I do? Obviously I'll contact the store where I bought it - maybe they left it out after restoring. But if they don't - should I return it, or is there a reasonable chance that I'll be able to get just this rod from stores in the US (I'm in Europe).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,072 Posts
I'll check mine on Tuesday when I return home. I think it is the Right Hand G# trill key. These are often removed or cut off.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,012 Posts
Wow thats a beauty! Enjoy one of the best saxes ever created!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,123 Posts
this must be the one that was for sale a couple of months ago by a Lady in Amstelveen.......I was bidding on that :) , your shop must have bought it since there are not too many silver plate 26M in Holland I should guess! In case they bought it I know exactly how much they paid.

Anyway, if you bought this from a reputable shop they should have at least told you of the fact that there was something missing!

Whether having a G# trill( or a Eb one , check that too) is essential or not it is not a matter that they can overlook, if they are competent in the slightest about vintage musical instruments, since this devalues considerably your investment because no collector would touch this horn.

I don't know how much you paid but 26M's aren't cheap in Holland so, I would at least go there and discuss the matter and insist on a refund If you paid anything above 2000€ or I would otherwise, return the horn.

Harry Bakker had a 26m a few months ago , not is the greatest of shape, lacquer-wise, but they will do a great job to overhaul it for you, it was in the 3200€ range I believe.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,012 Posts
The one in the picture is a beauty, but it isn't mine ;)
HAH, shows how well I read your post eh? I figured since it was a tech problem I wouldn't be much more help than to say OOH PRETTY...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,072 Posts
The arrow seems to be pointing to a bell key hinge. Mine is a 6M and there is a shorter (4"ish) rod below that for the G#. I suspect it was removed from your horn years ago. The 26M appears to be slightly different from my 6M so you will have a really hard time finding a donor key exclusive to a 26M.

·
39,123 Posts
well, if the OP thought the horn was cheap (although I find it objectionable that the shop didn't discuss the lack of such a feature) and he is happy with it, the lack of the G# trill is not going to be affecting the playing since all modern horns lack that feature. I thought a 26M would also , still, have a Eb trill but apparently it didn't , at least in the example that the OP bought. Even that feature is a minor one and, although useful, not present in modern horns. So from a collector's point of view this horn is probably a no-goer while as a player ( and keeper) it might be a fantastic horn. I fail to understand why was this feature removed. The Eb trill is often blocked because some folks think or have the problem that the key opens while playing other notes causing problems in the lower end of the horn. I have 2 Bueschers (C melody and TT alto) both featuring the Eb Trill (and the G# trill ;) :) ) and the Eb trill gives no problem whatsoever.
Anyway Conn-artist, good luck with your 26M , it is one of the best horns out there and one day I will own one I hope . Which neck does your 26M have (the horn came with a choice of necks)?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bruce: it's indeed the G# trill that's missing. I compared it to my New Wonder alto. And I'll probably never find a replacement.

I figured the horn has a more affordable price due to it having been relacquered. And although that makes it less valuable for a collector, it's still a terrific (and rare) piece of kit. Chances of owning a reasonably priced 26M are few and far between.

The absence of the G# trill is a bummer. I called the store and they told me they hadn't noticed since they didn't do the restoration themselves...

I am allowed to return it, but I'll keep it since I love the sound and the quality of the mechanics.

As for the neck: given the summary in this thread, I'd have so say I have a

1b standard underslung 6M-style neck with New Wonder style microtuner

·
39,123 Posts
nice, have lots of fun with your horn , I personally prefer the lines of the " New York " neck but again, nothing wrong with an underslung neck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts