Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got back my third Combat Jazz album from mastering and I've put the tracks up on Myspace. www.myspace.com/combatjazz

Thanks for checking them out. It's an organ trio playing some tunes I came up with...the organ player is Brian Dewan (a great musician recently featured in the Talk Of The Town section of the New Yorker) and Paul Corio on drums (he is a painting professor at Parsons School of Design.) We recorded this sucker on the last generation TASCAM 8-track cassette recorder.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Excellent energy and enthusiasm. Just not sure that you know what's coming out of your horn most of the time. Happy accidents happen, but it's so much more convincing when the energy and conviction are matched with music that's flowing from within instead of fingers feeling their way.

You are playing with some fairly good guys. If you can bring together ideas that come from you and move them through the instrument you'd be unstoppable. Think of how difficult it would be if the drummer or organist didn't keep up the tempo and chord structure. Your part is to weave within this with creative ideas. If you have recorded yourself on a separate track try removing it and then sing the lines you'd want to hear. Probably works a lot better. When you can match what you can sing with your playing, then you’re going to be a force to recon with.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
is this like a official recording pro album of yours?
well after read better the post i would say that not.. i just asked cause i didn't understood very well the album thing you said..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Wade: thanks for listening...you've really given me something to chew on.
@SaxTMan: nope, not an official album (though I admit I sound pretty pretentious in the original post)...just went over to the organ player's house, brought along a drummer and an hour of tape and jammed away (we had never played together before.) I have two young kids and a day job...calling it an "album" makes it more palatable to my wife when I take a day off from work once a year to record.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts