Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the latest offerings in saxes from CE Winds, Alpha alto and tenor.

First, I want to say that Brian and Mark are great to deal with. Super-fast shipping and well packaged.

Opening the cases, which are nice and roomy, the horns look good but the real test is in the playing. I did notice that these horns are not a flimsy knock-off. These things are as heavy as my vintage Conns. Keywork is lightening fast and tight, which is hard to find unless you pay multiple thousands to get a horn. By doing design comparisons I realized that this is a Yani copy. I checked key heights and regulation to Yani specs and it is exactly the same. :mrgreen:

Now time with the tuner. OH MY GOODNESS! Both horns are in tune from low Bb to altissimo D and mouthpiece choice is irrelevant. The sound has more character than the series III Selmer. It reminds me of a Conn but with modern keywork. The alto came with an underslung neck, which I think is cool. The tenor has the standard overslung neck. I, personally, would have loved an underslung for the tenor so it would be a "matching" set. lol! I have already used both horns on some important gigs and I had to back off as these are SO free-blowing. I have some physical limitations, due to a car accident in 2009, that has made playing many modern horns (and some vintage) uncomfortable but the way these are setup I can play long shows and not have any issues. YMMV. Thank you CE Winds! :cheers:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just received the latest offerings in saxes from CE Winds, Alpha alto and tenor.

First, I want to say that Brian and Mark are great to deal with. Super-fast shipping and well packaged.

Opening the cases, which are nice and roomy, the horns look good but the real test is in the playing. I did notice that these horns are not a flimsy knock-off. These things are as heavy as my vintage Conns. Keywork is lightening fast and tight, which is hard to find unless you pay multiple thousands to get a horn. By doing design comparisons I realized that this is a Yani copy. I checked key heights and regulation to Yani specs and it is exactly the same. :mrgreen:

Now time with the tuner. OH MY GOODNESS! Both horns are in tune from low Bb to altissimo D and mouthpiece choice is irrelevant. The sound has more character than the series III Selmer. It reminds me of a Conn but with modern keywork. The alto came with an underslung neck, which I think is cool. The tenor has the standard overslung neck. I, personally, would have loved an underslung for the tenor so it would be a "matching" set. lol! I have already used both horns on some important gigs and I had to back off as these are SO free-blowing. I have some physical limitations, due to a car accident in 2009, that has made playing many modern horns (and some vintage) uncomfortable but the way these are setup I can play long shows and not have any issues. YMMV. Thank you CE Winds! :cheers:
I don't know this model. I thought ce winds had a pro level horn that included the DV, DSV, and artists series...is the alpha also a pro level horn? Have you played the DV and DSV - both of which I've been very impressed with? I'm very curious about these alphas since ce winds doesn't seem to have made DSV's lately. And I thought THEY were wonderful horns. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Alpha horns are pro level horns at a student price! I have owned and/or played most of the pro horns out there (including the other horns they used to offer) and these will keep up with them all day long. CE Winds has done it again. Give them a call.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Alpha horns are pro level horns at a student price! I have owned and/or played most of the pro horns out there (including the other horns they used to offer) and these will keep up with them all day long. CE Winds has done it again. Give them a call.
I do wish more ce winds pro sax players put clips on YouTube! John M sounds like himself, pretty great, on virtually anything. And some of the studio recorded ce winds comparisons SOUND TO ME (I'm not an expert) overly 'treated' with reverb etc. Everything sounds great. At least several people have posted recordings of the New Tenor which I appreciate. I like their high copper content horns a lot- but I really dug john playing the New York Studio and for THAT sound I loved the looks of the sax. But no one else has posted any clips playing it. I'm just rambling - sorry. But I really wish ALL of these horns were nearer by! But then the prices would go up! So. All of that being said, I am so thrilled with their Sig 7* mouthpiece I doubt I'll ever try another.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I cannot speak for the newest series, but the other CE Winds horns are excellent. They do not come up for sale used very often, I am guessing that players are liking them and hanging on to them. I have a New York Studio alto that I posted for sale here on the forum a few months back when I was needing to get rid of some hardware. After posting it I started playing around with it again and decided to keep it even though I am not playing alto right now and I have too many altos. It is probably the best alto that I have ever played. I would sure like to find a matching New York tenor for this alto.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I cannot speak for the newest series, but the other CE Winds horns are excellent. They do not come up for sale used very often, I am guessing that players are liking them and hanging on to them. I have a New York Studio alto that I posted for sale here on the forum a few months back when I was needing to get rid of some hardware. After posting it I started playing around with it again and decided to keep it even though I am not playing alto right now and I have too many altos. It is probably the best alto that I have ever played. I would sure like to find a matching New York tenor for this alto.
Thank you. Any other ce winds folks out there who play the New York Studio Series tenor professionally?

·
Registered
390 Posts
What other altos have you played / do you own? That is quite a testament to this alto. Have you checked with ce winds about the tenor version? How would you describe the tone of the alto in terms of dark bright / spread /focused? Etc. Thanks.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,048 Posts
What other altos have you played / do you own? That is quite a testament to this alto. Have you checked with ce winds about the tenor version? How would you describe the tone of the alto in terms of dark bright / spread /focused? Etc. Thanks.
Feel like I might be decent enough to give you an answer here. I purchased JTHs CE Winds alto and am currently loving playing it. Fantastic horn. Just made my first recording on it yesterday, with plenty more to come.

I've owned/played various altos, including my P. Mauriat 67R DK. Which, of course, is a darker horn. I've also owned a Selmer bundy, some other school altos, and played yamahas, conn, selmer SA80s, and various others in shops.. I find this not nearly as dark and spread as my 67R. Its not necessarily bright by any means. I find it in tone to be very clear and pleasant, and with the right mouthpiece, you could make it sound darker or brighter. It's right where I want it to sound for the type of jazz sound I'm looking for. Easy to control and fluid. I also own 2 other CE Winds horns, the original alpha series Brushed gold Tenor and original alpha series silver plated tipped bell soprano. All of which are well excel in their build quality for what I paid for them.

Let me know what other questions you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts