Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased and had overhauled a Conn New Wonder Series II tenor saxophone. Unfortunately, I had to throw the case that it came in away because of mildew. I purchased a ProTech case however the horn doesn't fit it well at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what case would be best to use for this horn?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Hmmm...I'm using a new ProTech case on a New Wonder II tenor and it fits like a glove. Very snug but that's what you want. What is not fitting correctly?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Maybe the contoured will fit and the square one won't. There may have been a thread on this. Too bad about the original case as they can be cleaned up and sell for quite a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the contoured case but the low C and Bb are on the right hand side of the bell. They protrude just enough that the lid won't close and the case won't zip without being forced. I know how soft the metal is in vintage horns so I tend to baby mine and I'm just a little paranoid about causing unnecessary damage. These cases work great for my Buescher's. I'm just not sold on it for this Conn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
For some horns, I take a small 1" iron and push the padding down a bit to fit the keys. Can you just take your fingers or a block of wood and press it in a bit?

·
6,086 Posts
I have the contoured case but the low C and Bb are on the right hand side of the bell. They protrude just enough that the lid won't close and the case won't zip without being forced. I know how soft the metal is in vintage horns so I tend to baby mine and I'm just a little paranoid about causing unnecessary damage. These cases work great for my Buescher's. I'm just not sold on it for this Conn.
I experienced a little of that. It was maybe a half inch small but the padding compressed after a few days use. I think it's probably a benefit to be so snug. Now, after several months use it's as close to a perfect fit as it gets. I travel with mine several times a week and the instrument is still in perfect adjustment. That's unusual for me as I usually have to get minor adjustments made every few months to correct leaks. I speculated in an earlier thread that this was due to the rigors of travel rather than playing. This thread actually caused me to realize I haven't had to take the NW in for service since I put it the new ProTech case. Of course this could simply be coincidence or confirmation that playing does a lot less than travel to disturb a horns adjustment. ProTech also makes a Contour XL case which is slightly larger - I almost sent mine back for the bigger case for the same reasons you are concerned but I'm pretty sure the tight fit of the standard contour case is perfect for your Chu. As Bruce pointed out - you can make minor adjustments by manually crushing the interior a bit to accommodate your sax. The block in the lower left of the case (if it is open and you are facing it) could use about a 1/4 inch of compression as I recall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. It has seemed to help a little. I agree that it could use a 1/4 inch of compression all around. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Hiscox liteflite case fits the horn great and will offer more protection if it comes to a bad hit or drop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm...I'm using a new ProTech case on a New Wonder II tenor and it fits like a glove. Very snug but that's what you want. What is not fitting correctly?
Does your sax have split bell keys? I've got a chu berry tenor and am looking for a new case. I'm not sure whether to go with the regular or xl protec case.

·
6,086 Posts
Does your sax have split bell keys? I've got a chu berry tenor and am looking for a new case. I'm not sure whether to go with the regular or xl protec case.
Yes. It's a '25 NWII. It fits in the regular case but there is no room to spare. I really like the tight fit but the OP does not. The first time you put your Chu in it, you'll think it's just a tad too big to fit the case but it will fit. It makes you wonder if zipping it shut is squeezing the horn too much. Over time (not too long) the padding will compress a bit and the case closes easily. Closing the lid without zipping it up - it seems like there is a 1/2 to a 1 inch gap resulting from the instrument being too big. I just checked mine again the gap is still there unzipped - if I squeeze the case after it has been zipped that gap is probably only a quarter inch before the internal frame connects but it's still there.

I've used mine about 50 times since I got it - mostly in my car on local gigs but it's been in a band truck at least a half dozen times this summer too. Usually three months of gigging and my saxes are in need of adjustment. Not so with the Chu. Yesterday I was marveling at how nicely the pads seal after a long summer season. My alto (which gets played about half as much) needs adjustment badly. It's not apples to apples but It may be the ProTech tenor case is doing a better job than the old one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts