Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, I just wanted to thank you all for all the support you have given me. Yesterday I just got my awesome new tenor! It's a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series "Brute." For all the people who are looking to buy a saxophone, it is Perfect!!!!!

So here's a (non-professional) review of this amazing instrument.

Intonation:

It's a great solid horn with a lot good supported sound that stays pretty much in tune up and down the range.

build:

I have to say that this is the most solid instrument I have seen at our store. It's an unlacquered model made of something called aged brass. It is said to be unique and the people make it look as it's a vintage horn in perfect condition. Unfortunately, one thing I don't like about the design is the cheap computerized engraving. It simply looks like it's been painted on but aside from the loooks this saxophone is great.

Another feature Cannonball has with these instruments is two necks that come with it. One is the regular brown one made from the same stuff as the body itself. The other neck is the FATneck with a silver and has the octave unit on the underside of the neck causing the low notes to stand out really nicely. It's not really meant for the altissimo but still sounds decent up high.

Sound:

On this saxophone, most mouthpieces that you can possibly put on sound really deep and rich with the low notes filling the room with the deepest sound I have heard ever, yet the altissimo notes pop out smooth as ever.

*Note:

This saxophone does not come with a "what should be inside" list so apart from the mouthpiece, ligature, mpc cap, polishing cloth I do not know what should be part of your purchase.

Price:

Great! I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $2,625 for it plus a service plan for maintenance.

Accessories:

•Hard Rubber Cannonball Mouthpiece, ligature and cap
•Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series "Brute" Saxophone
•Polishing Cloth
•Company information/5 Year Warranty
•A Miscellaneous Bag (It would really help if someone give an answer as to what this bag is for)
•Faux Alligator Skin Hard Case
•Two Necks:
Regular Aged Brass Neck
silver FATneck

**Again I am not a professional or an endorser as I am only still in school**

Hope this helps and again, for anyone interested in a getting a professional horn, try this beauty. It never hurts to try.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are talking about the little 3 zipper bag, then it's just to put supplies in, reed guard, cork grease etc. congrats on the new horn! I own a brute tenor myself!

·
Registered
726 Posts
The bag is for whatever the hell you want it for man, hence the miscellaneous bag. Some dudes throw their neck in it, some dudes carry different mouthpieces, reeds, neck strap, swab, whatever man. Sax sounds cool though

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
I also own a Cball vintage reborn tenor in the brute finish...I really dig this horn & have been playing it for the last month or two.I put my 2 selmer tenors(Ref54 & silver series III) down for awhile to play this horn & I am very happy with it.The out of the box factory set up is awesome.I prefer the regular neck Vs the fat neck as it gives the horn a little more punch.The engraving on the vintage reborn is more to my liking as well.I sent this horn up to Randall in Fukuoka to try and we agreed that these are really good horns.

Enjoy your new horn...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Congratulations on your new horn! I've had that same tenor for two and a half years now, and I still love it. I think you'll like the way the Brute finish ages. It looks cooler the longer you have it. The main thing though, is it still plays great!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your positive comments.
I had doubts before buying it as I read many negative reviews but now that I own the horn, I think the people never even played them:)

As for a swab, would you recommend a pad-saver or a regular swab that you pull through the instrument itself and leave the key holes open?

Thanks all,
Ivan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
I really dig the Brute finish. I'm happy with my Ravens, but I would definitely have gone for the Brute finish if it had been available at the time. One of the best looking horns on the market in my opinion. I agree about the engraving though. It's a little on the cheesy/cheapish side, but if that helps them keep the horns affordable, not such a big deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on it Jazzz. would rather have a quality horn with this sort of cheap design than the other way for an affordable price!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congrats on the new Brute! I played one again yesterday in black nickel, but the same basic horn Big Bell Series - big sound. To me at least a slightly more spread thick sound than the Vintage Reborn - I love both sounds, just whatever someone prefers. So I guess I have played tested for hours about 5 of these CB's recently. Yeah, I also read older negative reviews, and it's pretty obvious to me, that Cannonball had continued to get feedback, and clearly refine their manufacturing and design process. These horns they are putting out lately are very nice in build and sound.

Legitalto - I was wondering about your Brute's the other day in fact! I think the Brute finish coming out right now is lighter in color, more of a 'honey' brute finish than the one's you have. Your horn, to me, looks darker, more towards the brown than the new ones to my eyes. I asking how these things age with touching them and all - your's were mentioned as aging really well. I would love a pic sometime if you are into that sort of thing, LOL.

I considered the traditional laquer -but...gosh, it's 2012 and there are so many cool finishes now, what the heck. I am going with the Brute finish myself. The horns do look vintage pretty authentically, but also look brand spanking new.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Chuck,
Not the greatest pics but here you go
Ok, fine, not the best pics, but these look very COOL DUDE! C'mon, take some more pics of these things with a good camera - too cool to pass up on. I want to see the colors. Have these changed colors much since you bought them- and how does touching them with your hands affect how the finish ages? I mean, this is a silly conversationI know , I know, but it's 2012 and we gotta talk BLING and FAUX finishes friend. The 80's are over and my laquer job is so yesterday, LOL. C'mon, temp me more.

(cool looking saxes bro!)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Funny thing, on the Cannonball website - the Brute finish they show is way darker looking in the photo than what I saw in the store - still, brand new a beautiful finish no doubt. Legalalto's horn are beautiful man - such a nice collection there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
agreed on that.
adding on to what chuck said, mine is quite a lot lighter than the pictures but I have no desire to change even if I could. They look awesome no matter what they look like on their site (no bad either)

I'll try and upload a couple pics tomorrow or the following day.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The finish turns to a dull but bright gold on the spots that you handle the most often. The way a brass doorknob would. I posted a few other pics on the Cannonball Facebook page a few weeks ago, but they're about the same quality, just more of them. I'll try to get a buddy of mine to take some nicer pics (of all 4 of the Brutes: satb) sometime soon. Very busy lately with gigs, teaching, and our new 6 week old baby boy. Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 40 Posts