Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just finished a new book that I've been working on. I've been writing these out for years and decided to get them down in a book so I can stop writing them out. Unlike my last 2 books that were in every key I've decided to just put this one in one key. It's 18 pages long but I believe it is just as thorough as my last 4 pdf books. The difference is I haven't transposed it to every key like the other books. Check it out! Thanks, Steve

" The dominant bebop scale is an essential tool in playing jazz. It is used all over the place in jazz music. If you're transcribing jazz solos you won't have to go long before you find some variation of this scale being used. In my Approach Note Books I tackled Major and Minor tonalities pretty thoroughly. In this book I focus on the dominant tonality and what to play over it. The book starts out with the basic dominant bebop scale. the next section deals with what I call "Bebop Scale Links". These are 36 small phrases or patterns that can be inserted into the bebop line to add variation. The next section deals with "Dominant Resolution Links". These can be added to the bebop scale when the dominant chord is resolving down a fifth. The last section of the book I write about how to use and practice these scales and links over a standard blues progression. I provide a 4 chorus blues solo to demonstrate. Unlike my other books, I've decided to only provide this in one key. I found that when working with students they would have to learn the material in every key anyways and learning to translate it to other keys is invaluable to the jazz soloist. Although, this method isn't very long. It is filled with many musical gems that once mastered will add greatly to your jazz vocabulary."

I will be adding a sound clip in the coming days so you can hear what type of stuff this is and what it's applications are.

·
12,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I added a really quick sound clip. It's all I had time for but you get the idea. I'm just using the stuff from the book over a blues form. If you understand most of what I'm playing on the second chorus and have worked with bebop scales in depth before this is probably not new stuff for you. If you haven't and have no idea what I'm playing on the recording but you like it this might be a good thing to get into. :D Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
I just hated to see this sit here un-replyed. I have purchased both the ii-V-I books as well as the Approach Velocity books. After playing for over 40 years I am thoroughly impressed with how these books are opening up my mind to new ideas. They have been a fantastic addition to my working library and are among my favorite shedding tools, right at the top of the list. They are keeping me so busy that I haven't considered getting these yet, but I will!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
rsclosson said:
I just hated to see this sit here un-replyed. I have purchased both the ii-V-I books as well as the Approach Velocity books. After playing for over 40 years I am thoroughly impressed with how these books are opening up my mind to new ideas. They have been a fantastic addition to my working library and are among my favorite shedding tools, right at the top of the list. They are keeping me so busy that I haven't considered getting these yet, but I will!

Very well said--Amen!

Steve: I only had time to listen to a few minutes of your free birthday lesson--but what I heard sounded great. Shallow waters run deep in my case, but I am slowly moving towards recognizing just how much I'd love to get some professional instruction.

I do have one little question about the Bebop scale: as I understand you, you get the extra note in the Bebop scale by taking the dominant scale and reinserting the major 7th note. This sounds cool, but is this the only version of the "Bebop scale" so-called? I seem to remember learning someplace that the Beboppers added the note between the V and VI?

Rory

·
12,796 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
After getting the free lesson, I just had to have the book to go along with it. (sneaky you are, Mr. Neff!) It's great stuff to work through, and Neff's sound on the recording makes me realize how far I have to go with my practicing. :]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts