Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with a newer Berg that has been refaced properly. Will it play and sound just as good as a vinatge one after refaced? Mojo-care to chime in?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Are you talking metal or rubber/ebonite? I am playing newer refaced HR Bergs, and I like them quite a bit. The only vintage Berg I have played, though, is another HR one that was also refaced. Currently I like the newer ones better, but that probably has more to do with the specific baffle/chamber characteristics of the individual mouthpieces than it does with the age.

My (admittedly non-expert) take is that the most important thing is that the configuration of the mouthpiece (baffle, tip opening, facing curve, etc.) match what you want/like, and that everything (rails, tip, facing curve, table, etc.) is finished properly and evenly. A good refacer should be able to get those things closer to ideal than you could get by buying vintage pieces (unless you can get somewhere to try a bunch of them). So I would lean toward the newer, refaced ones - it worked for me, and was pretty affordable, too.

·
2,294 Posts
I have a couple of newer SS Bergs that were refaced by Lawrie Waldron of LAW mouthpieces in the UK. I don't have a good vintage one to compare, but they play MUCH better than they had done prior to his work. I think Bergs have always been very variable, so 'vintage' is no guarantee that it will be good anyway.

Unfortunately Lawrie isn't making mouthpieces anymore, and I doubt that he's doing any refacing either. Mojo probably knows.

·
2,597 Posts
fyi - One of my contemporary Bergs (my current favorite) is (now ) a 100/2 that I bought off eBay. When I got it, it sounded great, but was almost impossible to blow. I had Eric Drake at Saxcraft/Saxology in Berkeley reface it (he noted that the facing curve had no curve). Easy to blow now, still has a nice sound - maybe a touch mellower/smoother.

The other contemporary one is a grained 110/1 that I bought from another SOTWer, that was worked on by Ed Zentera. (Not sure how much he did other than clean/even things up.) Also nice, a bit more edge.

I tried several vintage 100 to 110/0s at Eric's shop, all refaced by him. They all blew well, but all were noticeably brighter in tone than the above two. Most were a bit green in color, and a couple smelled a bit. I bought one, as it worked well with the horn I was using at the time, but now I am using the non-vintage ones on my current horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
fyi - One of my contemporary Bergs (my current favorite) is (now ) a 100/2

The other contemporary one is a grained 110/1... Also nice, a bit more edge.

I tried several vintage 100 to 110/0s at Eric's shop, all refaced by him. They all blew well, but all were noticeably brighter in tone than the above two.
Are you attributing the brighter sound to their vintage, happenstance, or noting that the chamber designation (/x) seems to work?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
My experience is that the newer hard rubber Bergs play better, overall, than the old ones. Refacing is most effective when dialing in a mouthpiece that is close to target. I recommend trying some newer ones to start that leg of the hunt.

·
12,710 Posts
If you are planning to reface buy the cheapest one you can get. The old hard rubber is a little better but I dont think it makes a difference in tone. I have recently done a few modern bergs and they were pretty poor. It could be that it is the exception and not the rule. My sample was small but it was sad. The final results were a mouthpiece that is a lot of fun to play.

·
2,597 Posts
Are you attributing the brighter sound to their vintage, happenstance, or noting that the chamber designation (/x) seems to work?
The chamber/baffle designation seems to work, as best I can tell. But I am dealing with a pretty small sample, so it is not really clear.

·
2,597 Posts
If you are planning to reface buy the cheapest one you can get...I have recently done a few modern bergs and they were pretty poor...The final results were a mouthpiece that is a lot of fun to play.
Yup. Eric was astonished at how bad the facing curve was on the eBay one I brought in to him. But it cleaned up very nicely, and the cost of buying it plus the refacing was less than most of the vintage ones out there.

(I would have sent it to Phil-Tone, who I have happily dealt with before, but Eric is local and also does good work.)

·
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
My experience is that the newer hard rubber Bergs play better, overall, than the old ones. Refacing is most effective when dialing in a mouthpiece that is close to target. I recommend trying some newer ones to start that leg of the hunt.
Stumbled on this thread. I bought a new HR Berg 115/0, 6 mos. ago and it's a definite keeper. Responsive with that nice "Berg" core. I just tried two HR Bergs both 115/1 and they werent very good. The corner of the tip on one was misshapen so badly it shouldn't have left the factory imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts