Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Classic Vintage bare brass tenor last week. After such a long way to ship, the tenor played right out of the case. I expected to have to get some sort of adjustment, but it needed nothing.

I played the tenor with the HR 7 MP that came with the sax. Easy to blow up and down the horn. No real issues with the upper range, plenty of power ( I need that in the Blues band I play, I am up against Gibsons you know) and what I call an even sound. The horn plays well when I really push the sound. Bending notes is not a problem.

This sax is taking place of my beloved KW New King which is going on the wall for a well deserved rest. I cant wait until the wallet fills enough to get a holly wood MP and an Alto as well....I now get what everyone is saying about the Barone saxes....Thanks Phil

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Hey Joseph, you made a great choice with the Barone. I have the Classic tenor as well, and I love the FOCUS of these horns. I play them with the Hollywood mouthpiece and its a killer set up. Id love to see some photos of the horn, could you please post some as soon as you get the chance ?

·
Banned
492 Posts
Just got my new Classic Vintage bare brass tenor last week. After such a long way to ship, the tenor played right out of the case. I expected to have to get some sort of adjustment, but it needed nothing.

I played the tenor with the HR 7 MP that came with the sax. Easy to blow up and down the horn. No real issues with the upper range, plenty of power ( I need that in the Blues band I play, I am up against Gibsons you know) and what I call an even sound. The horn plays well when I really push the sound. Bending notes is not a problem.

This sax is taking place of my beloved KW New King which is going on the wall for a well deserved rest. I cant wait until the wallet fills enough to get a holly wood MP and an Alto as well....I now get what everyone is saying about the Barone saxes....Thanks Phil
Hi Joseph,... congrats on the new PB Classic. Hope to see some nice pics of the bare brass singer over in the Delivered Barone Pic Thread real soon. Keep us posted!!!

Jr.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Once I received my Barone Classic all my other tenors now live in the closet. It is a great gigging horn that can cover any type of music. There is some resistance but does not back up when you put a ton of air through it.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Tom - I havent noticed any resistance with either of my classics ? Any region in particular you are referring to ?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Evan - My classic is free-blowing but with just enough resistance to blow against. This is in comparison to my long-term horn a H.Couf SuperbaI.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Good choice there tomsch - it was mine also.

What do you think of the right hand key cluster? I find it a little awkward to be honest. The Eflat is too low or too far away, but other than that? - good horn indeed.

·
Banned
492 Posts
You know what, I guess I'm a little fortunate to be so new to this. To me the right pinky feels normal,... it's all I've ever known. So the first thing I think is that any awkwardness when it comes to where the keys are, is on me. The keys are where they're supposed to be,... my fingers ain't. More practice! I guess all that will change as I clock more years on the sax. Then I'll have a better reference for telling if any keys are at the wrong address.

Jr.

Using the Sprint Now Network

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hi Joseph, i to have a vintage bare brass tenor from Phil, bloody good sax and when you think about it mine traveled from Taiwan to New York then on to me over here in good old blighty...played right out of the box no set up issues at all, that really says something doesn't it? i guess the cases are pretty good also!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Good choice there tomsch - it was mine also.

What do you think of the right hand key cluster? I find it a little awkward to be honest. The Eflat is too low or too far away, but other than that? - good horn indeed.
The left-hand pinky table actually bothers me more- it's a little bit of a reach down to the Bb if you have small hands. I've added an Oleg key riser to help things a little but I wouldn't mind if this table was 1/4 inch higher.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
The left-hand pinky table actually bothers me more- it's a little bit of a reach down to the Bb if you have small hands. I've added an Oleg key riser to help things a little but I wouldn't mind if this table was 1/4 inch higher.
I have a little trouble with it as well. Not enough to really worry about I guess, but it does bother me at times. All in all I'd say the ergos aren't as good as say a Yamaha, which was perfect. It's a trade off for tone though.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've had no key layout issues. I've spent quite a few gigging hours on the horn and everything seem to fall into place well. The D palm key did seem low at first but is fine now. Overall I think it is more me adjusting to the keywork. I do own a 1980s Yamaha YTS-62 which has the best keywork of any horn I've owned over the last 30 years of playing. Compared to the Yamaha the Barone is working out just fine.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I have a little trouble with it as well. Not enough to really worry about I guess, but it does bother me at times. All in all I'd say the ergos aren't as good as say a Yamaha, which was perfect. It's a trade off for tone though.
I agree 100% - my main horn was a YTS-875 Custom before I got the Barone. I still play that horn once every few weeks and it reminds me how nice the keywork is for me- much more compact and smoother. My Barone Classic has a better sound especially in the palm keys.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,588 Posts
I have the same opinion. My Cannonball was a little easier to get around, but the Barone kills it on tone anywhere on the horn.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I guess that tells us something about what we value the most about the saxophone in general, and the Barone Horns in particular.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice to see E1 posting on this page...Regardless of the ergos, key placement, finish, the main thread subject that seems to come up is the sound of the horn. Which to me is the whole point. I have now gigged this horn 3 times a week since I got it and as I get more and more used to the horn, the more I enjoy what I can do to push the limits....The LH D key is low, but I am now used to it. The RH little finger was different, but agian , I am now used to it. These are all very small issues and quite easy to get over quickly. All in all very exciting. Now just to save up for the HW MP.....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have large hands, so both Barone tenor models I have tried do not present any ergonomic issues with my pinkies. My issue is always the LH palm keys of any sax, and how I have to contort my wrist more than most. Since I always shear off the rubber risers, I have brass Oleg palm key risers on my Ref 36 because of this. My old tech sawed off the LH palm key stalks of my Mk VII alto and inserted 1 cm brass shim extenders to the stalks and countoured to match the shape. My Cannonball stone alto has wonderfully high LH palm keys already, and so does my stone soprano.

For my antique bronze Vintage tenor, I'm too enamored with its look to mess up the aesthetics with risers.

In general tho, my Vintage has the fastest, best-fitting action I have played. So, I can rip, and I get the sweet tone too. Win-win.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts