Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am posting these pictures of my recently delivered Barone Tenor. The Satin Laquer Finish is simply incredible. I hope these photos do it justice; Its the most amazing looking horn I have seen.

Phil you have done an incredible job with this finish. Congratulations.

Ill do a performance review at a later stage; I have already reviewed my Vintage Gold Laquer Classic Barone Tenor; Refer to it if you want an idea of how unbeleivable these horns play.

Stormott - Hows your Classic sounding ?

Tony I need help with converting my Soprano Wave Files to MP3 so I can post them as well.

Please enjoy.

Regards

Evan

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
Considering a tenor purchase, so your input is much appreciated (and thank you to others who have answered the same type of questions). You can pm me if you want, but I think there are other people who would like to know this type of information too. I am not looking for a full review, just your thoughts on sound comparison. Sort of a science experiment...Old sax=constant, vintage=variable A, classic=variable B:lick:

What tenor were you playing before?

How would you describe the sound qualities of that horn?

Compared to the Vintage?

Compared to the Classic?

I hate to ask so many questions, but it is tough buying a new horn without trying it out first. A growing number of people are taking the leap, and I haven't heard anything bad. I have never played a vintage Conn and have only play-tested a MKVI once, so if you refer to horns of the past, please name players if you can...I will stop now, as I hate to impose upon people.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Thanks Evan! I now have two favorite finihses since I can't decided which one I love more, the vintage gold lacquer or this one. They are both beautiful. I guess you have both now, right Evan?

Phil Barone

Hi All

I am posting these pictures of my recently delivered Barone Tenor. The Satin Laquer Finish is simply incredible. I hope these photos do it justice; Its the most amazing looking horn I have seen.

Phil you have done an incredible job with this finish. Congratulations.

Ill do a performance review at a later stage; I have already reviewed my Vintage Gold Laquer Classic Barone Tenor; Refer to it if you want an idea of how unbeleivable these horns play.

Stormott - Hows your Classic sounding ?

Tony I need help with converting my Soprano Wave Files to MP3 so I can post them as well.

Please enjoy.

Regards

Evan

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What tenor were you playing before?

How would you describe the sound qualities of that horn?

Compared to the Vintage?

Compared to the Classic?
I was playing a Selmer Super Action 80 Serie II Tenor and Soprano for 15 Years. The Selmer Tenors sound quality compared to the Barone was consistent and uninspiring. The Barone is more consistent, and has a huge focussed sound when compared; Its inspiring because it’s the type of horn that you want to play more. The Selmer Soprano compared to the Barone Soprano was a piece of rubbish; It was hard to play, resistant, out of tune. The Barone Soprano is everything the Selmer was not; Amazingly in perfect Tune, Extremely Consistent, Easy to Play, and again a great sounding focused horn.

The Barone Vintage and Classic are very close sounding horns. They are both easy to play from top to bottom, palm keys speak effortlessly, altissimo pops out, and the intonation and ergos really blow me away especially at Phil’s price point.

What the difference and how do you make a choice? If you have a more focussed sound then it’s the Classic. If you prefer slightly more spread in your sound then it’s the Vintage.

BTW – I had my old Barone Vintage side by side to a Selmer Balanced Action – The SBA was more focussed (although I still preferred the Vintage for many reasons including its huge sound), and IMO the SBA and CLASSIC are more comparable than the SBA and VINTAGE because the SBA and CLASSIC are more focussed sounding horns.

EIther way the Barone is a no brainer.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnaks Evan! I now have two favorite finihses since I can't decided which one I love more, the vintage gold lacquer or this one. They are both beautiful. I guess you have both now, right Evan?

Phil Barone
Phil I do - I have both of those finishes - The VGL is an absolutely gorgeous finish that consistently grows on you because it changes depending on the light; The SGL is an amazing finish; If I had to choose right now i would not; I am completely satisified with my decision to have both.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice! Very nice indeed.....I may be the first to say this, but I can't get the color of the finish. All the pics have a different finish of the horn. In the middle picture the horn appears to be Silver in color. In other pictures the finish looks like my Mauriat 66R Dark Lacquer finish without the shaded areas. Which is similar to Phil's Antique Bronze finish.

This is just MY opinion. My first choice of pearls would be the same as on Phil's Antique Bronze horns. White a second choice. Every time I looked at the center picture, my eyes just gravitate towards the pearls.

One thing for sure, lots of people love Phil's horns. Some day, I'm sure I will also.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I get what you are saying in that the light has an effect on the perception of the finish. No doubt it does. For pure finish the first photo would be best suited to represent the satin lacquer finish.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Great pictures Evan. I have the same finish on order with Phil. Should arrive very soon so I'll take pictures and post when it arrives.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Hey Evan the horn looks beautiful. I don't know how I missed this thread until now. My Classic is really nice. I have a good buddy that plays a very nice VI. He turned me onto Phils mouthpieces about three years ago. We both play Hollywoods from the same run actually. We A B the VI and Classic and they sound identical. I'm not kidding it was crazy. We were tripping out. We are going to do a blind test with the Classic, VI and my Cannonball.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Evan the horn looks beautiful. I don't know how I missed this thread until now. My Classic is really nice. I have a good buddy that plays a very nice VI. He turned me onto Phils mouthpieces about three years ago. We both play Hollywoods from the same run actually. We A B the VI and Classic and they sound identical. I'm not kidding it was crazy. We were tripping out. We are going to do a blind test with the Classic, VI and my Cannonball.
Id love to see those results posted in the Barone Forum

1 - 20 of 37 Posts