Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After 11 years of playing alto, tenor and soprano professionally, I decided that it was time for a new challenge. I was asked if i could play baritonesax in a band for this dutch artist for 1 show, and whitout having my own instrument OR experience, i said yes. I went to my saxshop and hired this student model, and I totally loved it!

The show was over and people were asking me, “do you play baritone? I never knew that!” And I was like: “yes, I play baritone!” 😁

My work as a saxplayer consists for the most part out of playing shows with dj’s for the last 5 years, and I really miss being in a band. The market in my country (the netherlands) is pretty small, so that was also a reason to buy my own bari. There are not many saxplayers that play all saxes.

Because it is quite the investment, i decided that I wanted an instrument that would hold its value well. After a few phonecalls with some bari playing friends, I decided to look for a nice low a mark 6. Guess what, after 2 days i found one.

On the dutch ebay, a man was selling his “68 mark 6 for a very good price. €2500 less than it would go for in a store, including a very nice BAM case (worth new around €780). So I had send the guy a message and he instantly replied. I could come to try it out the next day!

The next day I went over to his place to try it out, and boy o boy. The horn was a real players horn. It looks amazing, even though the relaquer is not very well done, and it plays great. It was recently overhauled by a store in Amsterdam and it felt like it was molded to my physique. I fell in love, just like I had with my mk6 tenor and alto.

The guy was hoping that a few guys would bid on the horn, but I was the first person and he wanted the horn to have a nice home and be played, so he gave me a good price!

As a moutphiece I choose the Vandoren V16 hard rubber. Great projection and it honks like i want it to do!

I have 1 question. Because I never owned a bari, i’m not sure if I am forgetting things. Are there stuff that I really need for my bari, besides a stand and cleaning stuff?

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 232982
View attachment 232984
View attachment 232986
View attachment 232988
View attachment 232990
View attachment 232992
View attachment 232994
View attachment 232996

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,785 Posts
I imagine that you have already checked but make sure that the spit key cork is sealing and not worn down or cracked from years of moisture. Have all pads checked for leaks. Might want to clean the neck and upper tubing in case there are any deposits of moisture buildup from years of playing.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You'll also want to adjust that stand so the bow isn't bumping into the metal leg, but rather the U shaped lower support holds it up away from the leg. I would suggest taking off the padding, adding a strip of metal that makes more of a U (extending further around the implied circle), and then putting new padding. The upper horseshoe part needs to be lined up with the lip of the bell, too. I can't see it but I suspect you are getting metal to metal contact between the underside of the bell lip and the stand there too.

You sure wouldn't want that nice horn to fall off its stand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah no, I see! I thought i adjusted it right, but not yet. Good thing about this stand is, that you can adjust the lower protection. Thanks for the heads up!

You'll also want to adjust that stand so the bow isn't bumping into the metal leg, but rather the U shaped lower support holds it up away from the leg. I would suggest taking off the padding, adding a strip of metal that makes more of a U (extending further around the implied circle), and then putting new padding. The upper horseshoe part needs to be lined up with the lip of the bell, too. I can't see it but I suspect you are getting metal to metal contact between the underside of the bell lip and the stand there too.

You sure wouldn't want that nice horn to fall off its stand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John! Thanks for your message! I checked all the pads before buying, they all look in good condition. Most of the pads were replaced at the last overhaul. I just order al the swaps, forst thing I am gonna do is clean the instrument for sure!

Also, nezt week I will bring it to my repairman to do some small adjustments and I thing a few things have to be checked. Nothing major though.

Thanks for your message!

I imagine that you have already checked but make sure that the spit key cork is sealing and not worn down or cracked from years of moisture. Have all pads checked for leaks. Might want to clean the neck and upper tubing in case there are any deposits of moisture buildup from years of playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
you definitely want a saxrax for it. They are worth every penny, especially on a big money horn like that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a saxrax for my tenor and absolutely love it! But i have to say, this k&m stand is also VERY sturdy, so I’ll leave it for now as it is, as the bari saxrax stand is almost 200€ 🔥

Thanks for the tip!

you definitely want a saxrax for it. They are worth every penny, especially on a big money horn like that

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a hercules stand for my bari and it is very good. Plus it's very easy to fold and carry and also important, affordable. I paid 32€ for it new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Welcome to a rather exclusive club. I’m also a late baritone adopter, though it’s been more than 2 decades now. Congratulations for your nice horn. Try to find a seat in a big band, a very nice role for the big horn. And give the Neotech neckstrap a try, the extra long version: perfect for jazz, where you don’t want to feel hindered by one of those gizmos going all around your body like a parachute.

·
7,904 Posts
I have a hercules stand for my bari and it is very good. Plus it's very easy to fold and carry and also important, affordable. I paid 32€ for it new.
I use a Hercules stand also and find it quite sturdy.
One thing to watch though is that you don’t accidentally knock the lower cradle upwards when putting horn on and off stand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
One thing to watch though is that you don’t accidentally knock the lower cradle upwards when putting horn on and off stand.
Check the settings every time. Just takes a second.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I had this problem with my Hercules bari stand; I solved it by using a ponytail hair elastic band to hold the cradle in place.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Good idea Made Mike.
Do you string it from a leg to the cradle arm?
Yes.

I just realised: I use a hair elastic with the tenor stand; the bari stand is too big for the hair elastic so I use a heavy duty rubber band on it. The cradle arm has one of the stand's three feet directly below it, so it's very quick to arrange.

·
7,904 Posts
Yes.

I just realised: I use a hair elastic with the tenor stand; the bari stand is too big for the hair elastic so I use a heavy duty rubber band on it. The cradle arm has one of the stand's three feet directly below it, so it's very quick to arrange.
Great.
Thanks I’ll give it a go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Problem is it’s not always obvious that it’s not in place correctly until there is weight on it.
At which point it’s too late.
That is why I said "every time."
I just assume it is out of place, reach down, set it properly (which it mostly will not need) as part of the motion to put the horn on it.
Habitual, never think about it.

[Gotta try the hair scruntchy, rubber band thing, tho]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts