Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new mouthpiece atm; I'm playing an Otto-link 7* at the moment on a Jupiter Artist Series. I'm looking at picking up a new piece, but I love in Melbourne and the local stores only have so much. I just played a brilliant 8* Jody Jazz NY which felt great and I've been looking into Pepper Adams a lot lately who I know played a Berg and a Dukoff through his career, who's sound I'm really digging at the moment...

I'm not looking to imitate his sound or anything; just a direction to head in.

Are Dukoffs and Bergs as good as they used to be? Or are there many other brands worth investigating?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,551 Posts
Bergs can be great on Baritone.
Trial and error is the only way to find a good from a not so good.
There are plenty of options out there, but very few in Melbourne or even Australia on a whole.
One piece you're likely to come accross is the rousseau JDX models.
These are very good pieces in my opinion, but cost about twice as much here as what the cost online from the US.
A used piece would be your best option, and you might want to look at older Bergs, Ponzols, and other higher baffled pieces.
Or you may have some success by putting a baffle into the Link you have.
I brought my STM 7* to life by adding a long baffle to it.
Other pieces worth considering are RPC rollover of baffled pieces depending on how much edge your after.
Not cheap but well worth it.
I have an old Berg 110/1 offset SMS stainless piece here that I am considering selling, only because my 120/2 suits me better.
Will likely be looking for around $280 for it.
Or I have a Strathon adjustatone 6 for the same price also. (Sliding baffle for darker to brighter tone).
This is a very powerful piece for a 6 tip.
PM me if your interested.

·
1,264 Posts
I refaced an old Berg Larsen HR 110/2 (for my former sax teacher) last week, it was the best hr baritone mpc I ever have played. This was a couple days after I got my new Vandoren V16 B9. And I compared them; plaing them, measuring facings, and construction inside/outside... = the V16 are as close you can get a copy, and a very nice copy too.
You have to test the Vandoren V16!

Sent from my HUAWEI W1-U00 using Tapatalk

·
1,264 Posts
The B9 was 0,114", not 112".
the Berg Larsen was something between 0.107" and 0.113" (because of a typical Berg table) I refaced it to 0,113".

·
1,264 Posts
... not 122"....

·
1,264 Posts
I have only had two here, the other one was 0.115", also a B9. That one I opened to 125" for a customer that wanted a "B9*",

·
1,264 Posts
Perhaps it only was this two. Anyway, they plays great!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I was looking to find "the great Berg" for a long time. Now I play a Vandoren V16 B7, which should weigh in on slightly below .110, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

·
2,382 Posts
When I met Pepper Adams (I was a teenager) he was playing a STM

Or you may have some success by putting a baffle into the Link you have.
I brought my STM 7* to life by adding a long baffle to it.
Gary Smulyan has a baffle in his Otto Link. He also plays some HR Vandoren.

What is wrong with your current STM?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a Berg 130 late 40's rubber piece that is a beast, the best piece I have found so far never seen another.
The piece looks strange but plays really well, I was going to send it to Doc Tenney about 10 years ago but he said to not reface it just learn to play it. I followed his advice.
I also have one his pieces that plays well it is a 120 I keep as a back up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a refaced Link Tone Master with a long baffle too. Mine was done by Erik G of the Mouthpiece Guys. Perhaps someone there can do some work on the one you have.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
RPC

·
Registered
131 Posts
Look at Drake, Contemporary Crossover II. Aaron has a great return policy if you don't like it. Just be sure to communicate with him on facings, you can usually go bigger than you think, his pieces blow very easily.. and for me, they produce the sounds I was after.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts