Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 213420 View attachment 213422

I inherited an old M.C. Gregory Model B baritone mouthpiece from my father. I love the sound, and the intonation is incredible on my Selmer mark VI baritones. I always used it when recording at home. I looked for another one for decades, but never saw one anywhere, not even in a different facing.

Recently, Morgan mouthpieces acquired the original dies for the M.C. Gregory mouthpieces, and when I heard they were going to make the baritone mouthpiece again, I asked Erik Greiffenhagen at Morgan to keep me posted about progress on this project. Erik sent me a couple of prototypes of the new baritone mouthpiece, called the GM, and I flipped when I saw that it was EXACTLY the mouthpiece I had been looking for for so long.

The new mouthpiece is actually better than my original Gregory. Erik put a small, complex rollover baffle just behind the tip and it adds a little more presence without messing up the intonation or flexibility of the original.

I really love this mouthpiece. There are lots of high baffle baritone mouthpieces that are edgy and loud, but they sacrifice flexibility, like the ability to play large intervals softly in the low register. i like to play loud, but sometimes the music calls for the player to play whisper soft. This Morgan GM has an enormous dynamic range, and lots of depth. It really sounds like a baritone sax, not a tenor with lower notes.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Huge Morgan fan here Randy and recently I bought a Brian Powell refaced composite material .100 tip Morgan baritone piece for the same reasons you cited in your post. I've yet to play it extensively but it has a smaller outer profile than your GW Morgan. The Vandoren Optimum ligature fits perfectly on it and it kind of has a Berg HR look to it but it's a bit wider. Have you ever tried the Lebayle LR III HR piece for Bari and if so how would it compare to this Morgan?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts