Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dilemma.
I’ve put aside enough cash for a new Baritone (Yanagisawa BWO1 or similar).
And I currently drive a real piece of **** 2010 VW golf.
This car has cost me a fortune over the years and given me zero pleasure to drive.
However if I use it as a trade in and add the cash saved for the Baritone, I can likely replace it with a new but less expensive car.
I’m done with VW would never touch another one.
Or I can keep this lemon and get a nice new or close to new Yanagisawa BWO1 or 901.
I have other Baritones to (Bb).
But am starting to miss a low A just a tad.
Talk me into buying the horn and keeping the lemon.
Or buying the car.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You don't need a car in Melbourne. Plus they're bad for the planet. Buy the bari, cut an album, then buy an e-car with the proceeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
My Dilemma.
I’ve put aside enough cash for a new Baritone (Yanagisawa BWO1 or similar).
And I currently drive a real piece of **** 2010 VW golf.
This car has cost me a fortune over the years and given me zero pleasure to drive.
However if I use it as a trade in and add the cash saved for the Baritone, I can likely replace it with a new but less expensive car.
I’m done with VW would never touch another one.
Or I can keep this lemon and get a nice new or close to new Yanagisawa BWO1 or 901.
But am starting to miss a low A just a tad.
Talk me into buying the horn and keeping the lemon.
Or buying the car.
I like to keep my cars, too. I have found that after 10 years, things start to leak - seals go bad on engine and transmission.

But enough about cars. Buy the bari. Find a good used one, and put the thousands that you save into next year’s car repairs.

Reactions: swperry1

·
Registered
99 Posts
No brainer. Keep the lemon. Add a bari. If you get in trouble seel one of the Bb baris. One low A and one Bb is a good quiver...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I had a 2007 Rabbit five-banger with amazing power, and currently own a less gutsy 2016 Golf. The Golf came with massive discounts because the company was contrite over their malfeasance. But yes, they are expensive when they fail. Usually it's the electrics. My starter button broke a month after the warranty ended.

Once, a plastic button that holds the string that holds up the rear tonneau cover on my Rabbit broke off, and I had to spend $400 to replace the whole moulded panel. They also tend to rust out, at least up hear in Canada. Just replaced my calipers at only 28,000Km, but that was because I haven't been driving it at all.

·
685 Posts
You might be able to afford both if you just stay away from buying new mouthpieces for a while. To buy gas or GAS? Always a tough call...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
1. As the Golf is a PoS you'll need another car anyway — unless the nearby railway or tram line will take you to the ironworks ? (I'm driving a Peugeot 4008 these days — I got it secondhand in Melbourne; it's the best car I've ever had.)

2. Do you really need the low A ? Do you really need a new one ? I'd be looking for a 2nd hand 11M or Selmer Mk VI. Ozwinds Coburg sold a 1968 11M recently, by the way - it was advertised for AU$3,900. Philip has a Yani low A bari for AU$3950. He's back home in Taradale these days, so transport costs would be minimal — you could pick it up yourself, in the Golf.

·
2,864 Posts
Get a used car and a used bari. If money is a concern, I don't think it makes sense to buy either brand new.

·
Registered
157 Posts
1. You need a reliable way to get around town. Maybe not currently, but probably in a few months after COVID-19 vaccines are generally available.
2. You have other baris.

Winner: Car - unless you don't need a vehicle.

Also consider
1. Buying a used car (if you know what you are doing or have someone you trust who does).
2. Buying an older Yanagisawa bari
3. Selling one of the baris to help pay for the car, Yanagisawa, or both.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'd look for a good deal on a lightly used Low A bari unless the money is no object but that doesn't sound like the case.

Buying used cars IMO is a much trickier business at least here in the US. It's very difficult to find a good relatively low mileage used car for a decent price. Most inexpensive used cars were either cheap crappy cars to begin with or better models that have a lot of miles on them. Either way you're often trading the problems you know (what's broken or worn on the crappy car you presently own) for ones you don't know but are hoping aren't as bad. My experience was anything under about $8-$10k was either something I didn't want to own or drive or stuff that had a lot of miles and was likely to become a money pit in fairly short order. Once you get up much higher than that the cars get better but often still have a fair amount of mileage. At some point it makes more sense to pay $22-$24k for a brand new car than $15-$17k for one with 50K+ miles especially if there's financing involved since you can often get 0% or close to it on new cars and used car loans generally run closer to 5%.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Here’s an “off the wall” idea (as the Americans say): so, first get a better car, because you seem miserable with your VW, but then a used Bb bass clarinet: it has a playing range which saxophones can’t even dream of.

·
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A used Baritone is starting to sound like a better option than new.
Never had a new horn though, so that might be a nice thing too.
I personally don’t care about having a new car, just a reliable one that doesn’t cost a fortune in constant repair bills.
I think the wife would put a new car on the top of that list though.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Sell the car, if you can get anything for it, and buy a scooter and the bari. I ride this to gigs more than I drive my car. It’s too cold here now but I’ve got 25,000 miles on my Yamaha Vino 125. Almost nothing to maintain it and 90 miles to a gallon.

Attachments

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,031 Posts
A used Baritone is starting to sound like a better option than new.
Never had a new horn though, so that might be a nice thing too.
I personally don’t care about having a new car, just a reliable one that doesn’t cost a fortune in constant repair bills.
I think the wife would put a new car on the top of that list though.
I think you've found the answer. Get a car that you know your wife will like, and put the bari on pause!

Who knows, getting your wife a car she enjoys more may get you more leeway to get a new bari sooner!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts