Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been GASing for a bari for a long while, but didn't want to spend a lot, and used baris are especially scarce around these parts. Plus I don't have huge mitts, so drew up a short list of baris with close ergos, which included Yamis, Yanis, Bundys, B&S's, Vitos, and the Armstrong 3070. So when a 3070B (low Bb) came along the other day for a fair price, I jumped on it.

It's 74XXX, which puts it at 1975. Had a long talk over a beer with the tech who refurbed it, an apprentice of my regular tech. It was a school horn labeled as irreparable in a bin at their old shop, so when they (sadly) closed down last year, he took it home and overhauled it. Stretch (as I call him) has taken some knocks over the years, and his bell-body brace had been pushed in, but otherwise he had no major problems, and is straight as an arrow now.

Though the 5C that came in the case is far too closed for me, I could at least confirm that it seals well. I managed to grab what might be the only other bari piece available within hundreds of miles, a new Vandoren V16 B7, and ordered a Hercules stand, though I'm still trying to source a selection of reeds.

Member @SuperAction80 had said the ergos on these Armstrongs felt like a tenor, and he wasn't kidding! They feel incredibly comfortable and slick, and the LH table's actually lighter and closer than on some of my tenors. I've never even held a bari before, but felt right at home with this horn. Can't wait to surprise my band at our weekend jam!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,260 Posts
I've been GASing for a bari for a long while, but didn't want to spend a lot, and used baris are especially scarce around these parts. Plus I don't have huge mitts, so drew up a short list of baris with close ergos, which included Yamis, Yanis, Bundys, B&S's, Vitos, and the Armstrong 3070. So when a 3070B (low Bb) came along the other day for a fair price, I jumped on it.

It's 74XXX, which puts it at 1975. Had a long talk over a beer with the tech who refurbed it, an apprentice of my regular tech. It was a school horn labeled as irreparable in a bin at their old shop, so when they (sadly) closed down last year, he took it home and overhauled it. Stretch (as I call him) has taken some knocks over the years, and his bell-body brace had been pushed in, but otherwise he had no major problems, and is straight as an arrow now.

Though the 5C that came in the case is far too closed for me, I could at least confirm that it seals well. I managed to grab what might be the only other bari piece available within hundreds of miles, a new Vandoren V16 B7, and ordered a Hercules stand, though I'm still trying to source a selection of reeds.

Member @SuperAction80 had said the ergos on these Armstrongs felt like a tenor, and he wasn't kidding! They feel incredibly comfortable and slick, and the LH table's actually lighter and closer than on some of my tenors. I've never even held a bari before, but felt right at home with this horn. Can't wait to surprise my band at our weekend jam!
Congrats on your new horn. Those low Bb baritones are a joy to play.

Reactions: ZootTheSim

·
Registered
733 Posts

what's the sotw refrain, no pics - it didn't happen. :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what's the sotw refrain, no pics - it didn't happen. :)
POIDH. Right, gimme a couple days to upload some pics, Pigs. Maybe you can tell me if it's really a Couf. :)

I hauled out Stretch at tonight's casual jam, after about three hours of playing tenor. Our drummer was absent, but we had a fantastic guest keyboardist and vocalist. We tried out some Willie Bobo, Tom Waits, Los Lobos and Morphine, and I was very rough, having had only an hour's practice on this horn. But they humoured me, and my guitarist already wants to arrange a new band around it.

I'm still liking the V16 B7, though will likely try some others just to make sure it's the piece for me. No surprise that it takes more air to fill this horn, and the voicing's a bit different. More challenging will be figuring out how to not play it like a tenor.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations
But be careful, you only need to blink and suddenly you own 6 baritones and looking at a seventh.
Or maybe that’s just me.
Thanks for the warning (or should I say prediction?). Six baris is enviable, but I'll need to sell some furniture to make room for just this one beast.

I wrote above that I'd never held a bari, which isn't entirely true. In grade 7, I applied to play sax in my school music program, and they gave me the last horn available in the system--a bari. At the time I was 4' nothing and 90 pounds, and could only reach the lower stack keys with my foot. So I switched to clarinet. This feels like closure.

Also, I really wasn't prepared for a spit valve! How cool is that? Also, how abject and awkward? For years, I've been telling my band mates that it's not spit, it's condensation. And now here's this little valve to contradict me. It'll have to be deployed very surreptitiously.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also, I really wasn't prepared for a spit valve! How cool is that?
Hah, that's one disqusting awesome feature of a bari that isn't talked about enough. Upon getting a bari, I ruined one parquet floor in two weeks time, grossly overestimating the evaporation rate of spit condensation drops from carpet. A towel is your friend here. Pads are pretty well protected though! Also, it's mildly interesting how much stuff one can collect there before the sound starts to make gurgling noises deteriorate. One would think the loop being close to the neck, even tiny changes in volume would matter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow @ZootTheSim , sounds like a nice horn.
To be honest I have never seen of of them, could you post a picture, or a sample to make us listen to it in action?
I have found the best instrument for me:a Conn 12M from the 40s, but I am always happy to check out some horns, especially those who are totally unknown for me.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
81 Posts
I'm still liking the V16 B7, though will likely try some others just to make sure it's the piece for me.
This is the mouthpiece I use on bari (I’ve only been playing bari just over a year myself), and I think it’s fantastic. I’ve only tried a couple of others (a Meyer and an Otto Link), but for me it was head and shoulders above.

Somewhat unexpectedly (for me), I find Vandoren Traditional 2.5s to be my favourite reeds on this. I thought I’d prefer ZZs, Javas, or something like that.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest I have never seen of of them, could you post a picture, or a sample to make us listen to it in action?
I have found the best instrument for me:a Conn 12M from the 40s, but I am always happy to check out some horns, especially those who are totally unknown for me.
Thanks bb, it is! I'll definitely post some pics soon--would have done so already, but have been too busy playing it. Meanwhile, if you search the Forum, you'll find pics of other 3070s.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the mouthpiece I use on bari (I’ve only been playing bari just over a year myself), and I think it’s fantastic. I’ve only tried a couple of others (a Meyer and an Otto Link), but for me it was head and shoulders above.

Somewhat unexpectedly (for me), I find Vandoren Traditional 2.5s to be my favourite reeds on this. I thought I’d prefer ZZs, Javas, or something like that.
Yeah, the horn came with a Vandoren Blue 2.5. It plays really well, which surprised me, as I don't like the tenor Blues. I'd still like to try some Java Greens and Rigottis, which are my go-to tenor reeds.

·
Registered
YSS-675 | YAS-62ii | YTS-62ii | B901
81 Posts
Yeah, the horn came with a Vandoren Blue 2.5. It plays really well, which surprised me, as I don't like the tenor Blues. I'd still like to try some Java Greens and Rigottis, which are my go-to tenor reeds.
Yeah I agree, I don't like the blue box reeds on tenor or alto, so was really surprised. I expected to like something similar to what I use on tenor.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here ya go. I've read that these horns are nearly identical to Superba II's, though couldn't say for sure. It does play well, though!

Brown Amber Wood Gold Font

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Insect Wind instrument
Musical instrument Wood Plant Tree Automotive tire
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wood Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

Sculpture Auto part Wood Gas Cylinder

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,260 Posts
Keilwerth New King stencil. I've been playing the Bundy special stencil for the past three years. I found it to be a lush and very capable sax in most every situation.

I am selling mine because I find baritone to be all too encompassing and taking too much time away from tenor and soprano. Also since the pandemic I have zero calls for playing opportunities and it seems silly to own a horn I will never get to use in a live situation.

I applaud your effort to start baritone and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keilwerth New King stencil. I've been playing the Bundy special stencil for the past three years. I found it to be a lush and very capable sax in most every situation.
Awesome! A Bundy Special was also on my short list. Good to know that this horn shares some DNA.

So is this to say that the Armstrong 3070B is not a Superba II clone as some have speculated, or that the Superba is also a version of a New King? Maybe just the 3070A is a Couf? I don't really care either way, since it plays great regardless, but am always interested in the lineage of my vintage horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,260 Posts
Awesome! A Bundy Special was also on my short list. Good to know that this horn shares some DNA.

So is this to say that the Armstrong 3070B is not a Superba II clone as some have speculated, or that the Superba is also a version of a New King? Maybe just the 3070A is a Couf? I don't really care either way, since it plays great regardless, but am always interested in the lineage of my vintage horns.
The early Superba II is a JK New King. The later Couf's that are associated with Superba 1 and 2 are a different design altogether.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, makes sense. And I suppose the 3070A would be of the later design, along with the King Tempo and Armstrong Heritage baris?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts